Well that was certainly unexpected. It’s rare that you have a week that completely blows up the top half of your projections so late into the season. We’ll cover the actual events, and how they unfolded in TWTW, but for now…
Just some notes, a little here and there stuff.
- Michigan – People really want to throw these guys into a BCS Bowl, simply because they’re a better draw than anything else that will be in the Top 15. Unlike the mainstream media, I’m not so quick to throw the Wolverines there. First things first, they have to beat Ohio State (very possible). Then they have to convince pollsters that they’re worth taking more than Boise State (FANS!!!!!!!! TREY!!!) It’s true, but I’m going told hold off on throwing the Wolverines into the BCS mix.
- Capital One Bowl – I”ve heard from credible people that Nebraska is their target, not matter what happens in the Big 12 Championship game. I feel confident throwing them in that spot. I’ve heard they also like Georgia as their opponent, but a two loss Arkansas seems more likely from a “on-field” standpoint
- Penn State – These guys are NOT going to be a popular pick, and I think they drop all the way to the Texas Bowl, who will have no issues taking the Lions. Should they win the Big Ten…I can’t imagine the reaction from the Rose Bowl.
- Chick-fil-a Bowl – It’s a rematch either way if Clemson ends up here. Auburn or South Carolina? Who the hell knows, but I put South Carolina for fun. It wouldn’t shock me if some deal is worked to send Florida here, giving South Carolina to the Gator Bowl.
- If FSU loses to Florida Saturday, the Champs Sports Bowl’s dream match up of the Noles and Irish will likely be dead, with 4 loss Virginia or 3-4 loss Georgia Tech getting the nod. Either way, Notre Dame is playing in this game.
- Cotton Bowl – Oklahoma or Oklahoma State are interchangeable.
This was tough, there aren’t a lot of major “draws” in the at-large pool.
- Selection order – The Sugar gets first pick losing SEC champ LSU. They take best available, Stanford. Fiesta picks second taking Boise State. Orange Bowl takes WVU and the old rivalry game. Sugar takes Houston.
- Should Houston lose (and I’m picking them to lose to Tulsa, but for this I gotta go with the favorite), then you’ll see Michigan enter the picture. Michigan will be the Sugar’s pick, with Boise State swinging over as best Non-BCS. Giving them Michigan vs. Boise State.
- This will probably all blow up again this weekend.