The group of nine drivers that will battle for the 2012 Indianapolis 500 pole today at 4:30 pm ET (NBC Sports Network) is set...And a lot of them are wearing Bowties.
Eight of the nine competitors, including the top qualifier of the day so far, James Hinchcliffe, are powered by Chevrolet engines. The only driver flying the Honda banner: American rookie Josef Newgarden.
Here are the Fast Nine and their top four-lap average speeds in the first run of qualifying this afternoon:
1. 27-James Hinchcliffe, Andretti/Chevy, 225.746 mph
2. 12-Will Power, Penske/Chevy, 225.399
3. 28-Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti/Chevy, 225.289
4. 3-Helio Castroneves, Penske/Chevy, 225.282
5. 2-Ryan Briscoe, Penske/Chevy, 225.078
6. 11-Tony Kanaan, KVRT/Chevy, 224.751
7. 26-Marco Andretti, Andretti/Chevy, 224.680
8. 67-Josef Newgarden, SFHR/Honda, 224.677
9. 5-E.J. Viso, KVRT/Chevy, 224.422
Be sure to follow along with the Fast Nine shootout on my Twitter page. Just follow @estradawriting for all the updates.