Posted September 16, 2013 on
AP on Fox
Juan Pablo Montoya is leaving NASCAR for a return to IndyCar, where he'll drive for Chip Ganassi rival Roger Penske.
The Colombian has agreed to join Team Penske next season as a teammate to current IndyCar points leader Helio Castroneves and Will Power. He could also drive in some NASCAR races as part of the deal.
The move could be seen as a betrayal by Montoya against longtime team owner Ganassi.
Ganassi decided in August he was not bringing Montoya back to his NASCAR program next season. But he and Penske are fierce rivals in IndyCar, and Ganassi driver Scott Dixon is currently locked in the championship battle with Castroneves.
Montoya won the 1999 CART title, the 2000 Indianapolis 500 and 11 races driving open-wheel for Ganassi. He then moved to Formula One, where he had seven wins and 30 podiums, before reuniting with Ganassi again in 2006 to compete in NASCAR.
Montoya had said he'd consider all opportunities once he learned he was not going to return to Ganassi's Sprint Cup Series car, and he spoke with Michael Andretti about an IndyCar ride. Andretti looked for the sponsorship needed to sign Montoya, but Montoya informed Andretti last week he was no longer interested in a partnership.
Montoya also had an offer in NASCAR to replace Kurt Busch at Furniture Row Racing next season. He visited that team's shop in Colorado, but his first choice was to sign with an organization that could give him cars capable of winning every race.
He lacked that in NASCAR with Ganassi, which has had roller-coaster performance as an organization but is consistently among the best in IndyCar. Ganassi's top rival? Penske, winner of 15 Indianapolis 500s.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
There are nine races left on the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule after which Juan Pablo Montoya will leave the series and head to IndyCar.
The 37-year-old Montoya will drive a IndyCar for Penske Racing in 2014 joining Will Power and Helio Castroneves in Penske Racing’s IZOD IndyCar Series lineup beginning next season.
Montoya remains the only driver to win in the Indianapolis...
After it looked like a return to open wheels seemed bleak, Juan Pablo Montoya will indeed be making the move back to IndyCar in 2014 with Penske Racing driving the #2 Team Penske Chevrolet powered entry joining Will Power and Helio Castroneves.
This announcement comes after Montoya turned down Michael Andretti’s offer after progress had been reportedly been made on trying to bring...
Indianapolis, IN- Yesterday, Team Penske made the most shocking news of the 2014 Izod IndyCar Series silly season.
Most people thought Columbian Juan Pablo Montoya would stay in NASCAR after turning down the Andretti Autosport ride this past weekend.
It was widely speculated that Montoya would join Furniture Row Racing replacing Kurt Busch as the 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion is...
Juan Montoya returns to INDYCAR next season, driving a third car for Roger Penske. JPM will be behind the wheel of the #2 Team Penske Chevrolet for the full 2014 season alongside Will Power and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves. He recently commented on his return to the open wheel series. "I am really excited," Montoya said. "If you dream of any...
After it sounded like Andretti Autosport had gained ground on trying to bring 1999 CART Champion and 2000 Indianapolis 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya to IndyCar, RACER has confirmed that Montoya has declined the offer.
Where Montoya ends up next season is yet to be determined. He has also been linked to a potential United Sports Car Racing ride, and according to NBC Motorsports Talk’s...