Found July 17, 2013 on Fox Soccer:
Chelsea_vs_inter_6495
Kilmarnock have confirmed the signing of Scotland international and former Hearts defender Darren Barr. The 28-year-old Scotland international becomes new boss Allan Johnston's first Killie signing since he left Queen of the South to take the reins at Rugby Park. Barr - who struck the opening goal in Hearts' famous 5-1 Scottish Cup triumph over city rivals Hibs - was allowed to leave Tynecastle by the administration-hit club at the end of his contract. He started his career with Falkirk and, after being named Bairns skipper at the age of just 22, he was rewarded for his club form with a call up to the Scotland squad in August 2008, making his debut against Northern Ireland in a goalless draw at Hampden. A spokesman for Kilmarnock said: "Darren joins as a free agent following his departure from Hearts at the end of last season and brings a vast amount of experience to the club having made over 200 SPL appearances over the course of his career. "Everyone at Kilmarnock Football Club would like to welcome Darren to Rugby Park and wish him every success during his time here." The money-lending company, Wonga, have their name on the shirt, with the striker, a Muslim, only willing to wear an unbranded shirt or one sporting a charity logo. Cisse's team-mates Cheick Tiote and Moussa Sissoko are also Muslim, but have told the club they are not concerned with the sponsor and are included in the squad for their pre-season tour. Representatives of the Senegal forward have been locked in discussions with officials of the club, along with the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) but were unable to reach a compromise. Sky Sports correspondent David Craig said: "Newcastle United, their owner and everybody will be extremely disappointed not to have found a solution to this matter. "But Newcastle are a club with players from different nationalities, all of whom have different faiths, and they have always been a club that's prided themselves on trying to adhere to understanding those faiths and helping those players with that. "It's a difficult one for Newcastle but Cisse won't be travelling and he will remain at home." Cisse will remain in England and continue his training on his own to ensure his fitness levels are maintained ahead of the new Premier League campaign that gets going in just over four weeks. Last October Wonga was announced as the new shirt sponsor, taking over from Virgin Money for the 2013-14 season. The 23-year-old striker, who scored 29 goals last season, has agreed a two-year contract to become Blades boss David Weir's fifth signing of the summer Weir told the club's official website: "Lyle will be a great addition to our squad. He is young, hungry and scored plenty of goals at Falkirk last season. "We have fought off competition to secure his signature and we are delighted he has chosen to join Sheffield United." Jose Mourinho insisted the future of Wayne Rooney is a decision for Manchester United as the tussle for the striker's services began in earnest. Rooney is at the centre of a row between Chelsea and United over a bid made on Tuesday for the player which was rejected by the Barclays Premier League champions. Mourinho was low-key when commenting on the offer in Bangkok on Wednesday, despite United provoking the Blues' ire. Chelsea confirmed they want to buy Rooney, who is in dispute with United over comments made by manager David Moyes when he spoke to journalists in Bangkok last week. However, they are furious at suggestions David Luiz or Juan Mata had been offered as makeweights in the deal. Speaking in Bangkok following the first match of his second spell in charge - a 1-0 win over Singha All-Stars - Mourinho declined the opportunity to fuel the argument. "I think that this situation is clear - nothing is a secret anymore," he said. "The official bid is just about a certain amount of money and doesn't involve players. "We want the player. We made the bid and now we have nothing more to say. "Now it's up to Manchester United." Asked if Chelsea had made any other bids, Mourinho said: "No, and we won't." Asked whether it is now "Rooney or bust", Mourinho said: "yes."
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Jose Mourinho Disses Last Chelsea Boss Rafa Benitez

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has taken a swipe at his predecessor Rafa Benitez after the Portuguese claimed winning the Europa League would be a ‘disappointment’. The Blues triumphed in European football’s second-tier competition with a 2-1 injury-time victory over Benfica last season. But Mourinho, who is starting his second spell as Chelsea boss after a six-year absence...

Report: Rooney seeks Man United exit

England international Wayne Rooney is "angry and confused" at his treatment by Manchester United and is looking to leave, according to reports. Sources close to Rooney claim the 27-year-old England international striker is unhappy about his treatment by the club. Reporter Kaveh Solhekol told Sky Sports News: "Rooney believes he is at the peak of his career and has...

Mourinho plays down Rooney 'rumors'

Jose Mourinho is happy with his Chelsea squad and has played down "rumors" linking the Blues with Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney. After one week of training in his second spell as Blues boss, Mourinho expressed satisfaction at his players' work ethic and branded speculation surrounding Rooney's future - as well as that of Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke...

United reject Chelsea Rooney bid

Manchester United have rejected an undisclosed opening bid from Chelsea for unsettled striker Wayne Rooney, according to reports on Wednesday. It is believed the Blues offered £10million, plus either Juan Mata or David Luiz for the 27-year-old. However, it is understood that the bid has been rejected out of hand by the Premier League champions. The England forward is apparently...

Wayne Rooney: Manchester United rejects Chelsea’s bid for star

Wayne Rooney won’t be leaving Manchester United any time soon. Chelsea reportedly made a strong bid to sign the striker, but his current club rejected the overtures. New Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho publicly expressed admiration for Rooney last week and on Wednesday the team released a statement that it had, indeed put in a bid to Man U. The statement from Chelsea said: “Chelsea...

Chelsea deny offering star duo to Manchester United, but confirm cash offer for Wayne Rooney

Chelsea deny offering star duo to Manchester United, but confirm cash offer for Wayne Rooney - originally posted on Soccerlens.comChelsea have wasted no time in reacting strongly to the suggestions that the club is looking to sell either of Juan Mata or David Luiz, and have included either of the duo as a make-weight deal for Manchester United’s unsettled striker Wayne Rooney....

Michael Essien Admits He Is Fully Fit For New Season

Essien and ‘dad’ Mourinho Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien says he is fully fit for the upcoming season. Essien returned to England after a successful one-year loan spell at Real Madrid. The former Lyon enforcer has shown amazing spirit and belief by recovering from from three career threatening knee injuries to play active football. Prior to the injuries he sustained, he was...

Blues keepers keen on Rooney

Paris St Germain centre-back Thiago Silva has again stressed he will honour his long-term contract with the capital club, despite being heavily linked with a summer move to Barcelona. Barcelona-based newspaper Sport last week reported that the Catalan club had agreed personal terms with the 28-year-old Brazil defender, but this was swiftly denied by the player's agent Paulo...

Moyes: Rooney position unaltered

David Moyes has reiterated that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is not for sale and is waiting for a response on his bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas. Earlier this week, it emerged that Rooney has been left feeling "angry and confused" by his treatment by United after he returned home early from the club's pre-season tour of Asia and Australia due...

Chelsea target Bayern Munich ace as Mikel faces axe

Chelsea are targeting Bayern Munich's Luiz Gustavo as a replacement for John Obi Mikel should the Nigerian, as expected, leave Stamford Bridge this summer. Mikel, who only last season signed a new five-year contract, is resigned to leaving London now that Jose Mourinho is back in charge and has been persistently linked with a move to Turkey. Now Mourinho is lining up Brazilian...

City weigh up fresh Pepe bid

Each day we'll bring you the very latest tabloid rumors as the biggest clubs around splash the cash to bolster their rosters. True or not, they're always entertaining... Striker Wayne Rooney feels he is being "driven out" of Manchester United after "five months of negativity" which amounts to "constructive dismissal". Meanwhile, Barcelona...

Gonzalo Higuain reveals Jose Mourinho wants him at Chelsea

Reports in Spain say that Arsenal target Gonzalo Higuain has declared that Jose Mourinho wants to take him from Real Madrid to Chelsea. The Argentina striker has been tipped to leave the Santiago Bernabeu this summer and has previously been linked to several clubs in Europe. And Higuain has now been quoted as saying that Chelsea are also interested in a deal, having played under...

United set to make bid for Bale

Each day we'll bring you the very latest tabloid rumors as the biggest clubs around splash the cash to bolster their rosters. True or not, they're always entertaining... Jose Mourinho will keep battling to sign Wayne Rooney - even though Manchester United told the Chelsea boss to forget it. Arsene Wenger last night insisted Arsenal can meet Wayne Rooney's wage demands...

Chelsea and Arsenal to battle it out for three world class strikers

Chelsea and Arsenal to battle it out for three world class strikers - originally posted on Soccerlens.comIt seems like cross town rivals Chelsea and Arsenal will battle each other out in the summer transfer window, as both the London clubs are in a tug-of-war for three quality strikers – Luis Suarez, Gonzalo Higuain and Wayne Rooney. Both Arsenal and Chelsea have registered an...
All Sports News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.