Found July 22, 2013 on
David Moyes has confirmed Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
United confirmed last Monday that they had made a first offer for the former Arsenal star, and manager David Moyes said at a press conference in Yokohama today that a second offer had been lodged.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward returned to the UK ahead of schedule last Wednesday to carry out some urgent transfer business, and Moyes confirmed: "As I understand it, Ed had a response (to the first offer). We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me."
So far, United have not made any new signings this summer, other than Uruguay Under-20 star Guillermo Varela.
And whilst Moyes accepts there may come a time when he has to walk away from the deal, that position has not been reached yet.
"I think a point does come," said Moyes. "But when you are interested in good players you want to give it every
opportunity to materialise. I will hope things will continue to move forward.
"At this moment in time I can only tell you Ed Woodward is working hard to try and make the deals happen. We hope some of them will fall into place shortly."
In addition to Fabregas, Moyes has also been linked with marquee signings Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, plus Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.
So far though, there has been no reinforcements, and Moyes admitted he can understand why some fans are nervous.
"I can understand that feeling," he said. "But there have been quite a few changes. Other managers have changed their clubs too and everybody thought this might be the summer when transfers are done later in the month.
"That was always the thought I had when I came into the club. You have to remember I only started on July 1, so in truth I have only been in the job three weeks at this present time."
Moyes confirmed he expects Michael Carrick, Jonny Evans and Alex Buttner will have recovered from minor injuries in time to face J League outfit Yokohama F Marinos on Tuesday.
And Chris Smalling and Ashley Young could also play some part after recovering from foot and ankle injuries respectively, while Japan star Shinji Kagawa has also joined up.
"They probably won't start in this game but I want to get them involved," said Moyes of the latter trio.
"Young and Smalling have been training very hard back home and Shinji has been on holiday but he has been training. We will involve the three players as we go along."
For Kagawa it is the start of an important season, having failed to make the impact he hoped after a £17million switch from Borussia Dortmund 12 months ago.
That Dortmund subsequently went on to face Bayern Munich in the Champions League final could have left Kagawa believing he had made a mistake coming to Old Trafford, but he insists that is not the case.
"I was proud to see my former team play in the Champions League final, and I was very excited for them,'' he said.
"But it didn't make me feel I had made the wrong choice. In fact it made me feel stronger because I want to be on the same field in future."
BEST OF MAXIM
New Manchester United manager David Moyes has admitted that he needs to make his own history at Old Trafford.
As he pointed out in addressing the lack of big-name transfers that have come into Old Trafford since his appointment, Moyes has only been in the job for three weeks.
Yet he is starting to understand the magnitude of the role he has taken on as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor...
Manchester United boss David Moyes is relishing the chance to work with Shinji Kagawa ahead of the new Premier League season.
Kagawa joined up with his United team-mates for the first time since May on Monday as United arrived in Japan on the third stop of their tour.
And although Kagawa is not expected to feature in Tuesday night's game against Yokohama F.Marinos, Moyes says...
Newly found Manchester United manager, David Moyes, is confident that the recent win is just a taste of things to come. Despite their troubles in the transfer market with negotiations with Barcelona and quite a few other players. They have also had problems with their star striker Wayne Rooney.
The Red Devils are not the luckiest, as they often fail to make successful bids to...
Manchester United given hope on Fabregas - originally posted on Soccerlens.com
Manchester United saw their £26million bid for Barcelona star Cesc Fabregas rejected last week, and the fans of their fiercest rivals also laughed it off. This week however, things have changed. United have been given a glimmer of hope in the pursuit of their #1 transfer target.
Newly promoted Vice Chairman...
Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed that the club has made a second bid to try to sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.
A reported £25million bid for the 26-year-old midfielder was made last week. And on Saturday, we reported that Manchester United had put in a £30million bid for Fabregas plus add-ons.
Today, Moyes offered more information regarding the second bid...
Manchester United suffered their second defeat in three pre-season matches as J. League outfit Yokohama F. Marinos struck late to sink David Moyes' men 3-2 in Japan.
Jesse Lingard scored another goal to continue his impressive run of form but despite holding a half-time lead, United were unable to keep their advantage.
In the stadium where they won the World Club Cup in 2008...
Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed once more that Wayne Rooney is not for sale - and said the striker is on track to make his comeback in Sweden next month.
United have already turned down one bid from Chelsea for Rooney, although it is expected Jose Mourinho will be back with another long before the transfer window closes.
Rooney did not do much to dampen down...
Manchester United have reportedly made an improved bid of £30million plus add-ons for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, according to Sky Sports.
The Red Devils are not giving up the chase for the Spanish midfield maestro despite the fact that the Barcelona vice-president says that Fabregas is non-transferable. United may feel there’s an opportunity to lure Fabregas away now...
Manchester United Transfer Round Up: Red Devils lodge second bid for Fabregas - originally posted on Soccerlens.com
Premier League Champions Manchester United are going hell-for-leather for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, having lodged their second bid within a week, reports The Telegraph.
United had lodged a formal bid last Monday, only to be knocked back. Manager David Moyes...
Cesc Fabregas Twitter Page (@cesc4official)
Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
United confirmed a £25m offer for the 26-year-old last Monday and have increased that to £30m plus add-ons, with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward leading negotiations.
“As I understand it, Ed had a response [to the first bid],” said Moyes...
According to reports which have since been denied, Arsenal playmaker Santi Cazorla is wanted back in Spain by Atletico Madrid as Manchester United attempt to swoop for former Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas.
Whilst Atletico Madrid club president Enrique Cerezo has officially denied the club are interested in bringing the Spaniard back to his homeland, it does make for an interesting...
Manchester United have upped the stakes in their bid to sign Cesc Fabregas.
Manager David Moyes is prepared to break the club’s transfer record after making a new £30million, plus add-ons, offer to lure Fabregas from Barcelona.
And Fabregas will be told by United that he can double his £100,000-a-week wages by moving to Old Trafford this summer.
The midfielder will consider...
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas is considering his future with the Spanish club after Manchester United made a second bid for him, according to Sky sources .
The Catalan giants have said publicly that they do not want to sell the former Arsenal star. However a source close to Fabregas has told Sky Sports News that the player is considering his position having been given no assurances...
Upon the brink of possibly the most exciting season of Premiership football ever, let’s take a look at how the reigning champions of England will fare in not only a new season, but a new era of football; when nothing is certain and everything possible. Sir Alex retired, “Bobby Manc” fired, and Rafa, once again, relieved. The top three finishers of the most popular league in...
Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insists Borussia Dortmund would happily welcome back Manchester United midfielder Shinji Kagawa one day.
Watzke's claims come after the Japan international revealed to a local TV station that he was disappointed with his debut season in England, and would be open to a return to Dortmund in the future.
The attacking midfielder...