It's been a week since Super Bowl 47. 34-31 was your final score for the Ravens and it was a close game and it was great seeing Ray Lewis go out as a Super Bowl Champion. This game was great and intense. So what I am going to do is give you guys 10 of my own thoughts from the big Super Bowl 47 game last Sunday. Let's get to it.
1. Early game penalties on the 49ers: The 49ers had some early penalties that cost them this game for sure. Some of the penalties where strange. The first play of the game was a illegal formation penalty on the 49ers. Really, first play of the big game and there was a penalty. And it really hurt the 49ers because if there was no penalty, the the 49ers get a first down of a 15 yard catch from Vernon Davis. 49ers could have scored on that opening drive instead of going 3 and out and letting Baltimore score on their first possession. Also let's not forget the 2nd quarter face mask penalty on the 49ers defense. That penalty also led to a Baltimore touchdown. with how close this game was, the 49ers could have won for sure if not for these stupid early game penalties. It looked like the 49ers where uptight and making bad decisions. My saying goes, the team that has fewer penalties and is more calm and not uptight, wins the Super Bowl. The Ravens where clearly more calm and won.
2. 49ers where too conservative: The 49ers did get less conservative and more aggressive in the second half. But in the first half the 49ers where too conservative. Three times the 49ers faced 3rd down 10 and 15 situations and ran the ball for no gainers and just punted the ball away to the Ravens who ended up scoring on the 49ers and being more aggressive and less conservative. At least in the first half. Every year in the Super Bowl, the team that is more aggressive and calm, wins the Super Bowl. And once again, Baltimore where less conservative and and calm and won the Super Bowl.
3. 49ers had costly turnover's in first half: The 49ers also had some bad turnover's in the first half. First Lamichael James had a fumble and Colin Kaepernick had an interception on the 49ers next offensive play. The Ravens had 7 points off those turnover's. I can understand if you had one turnover in the first have and one in the second half but two turnover's in two offensive plays is bad. You can't win a Super Bowl like that. Turning the ball over and putting yourself in a deep hole never helps you win the Super Bowl.
4. Joe Flacco had a great game: Joe Flacco not only had a great first half, but just had a great game in general. And a great postseason. Flacco threw for 287 yards and had 3 touchdown passes. 11 total touchdown passes this postseason. Flacco's throw's where so accurate and looked so calm and active in the pocket. He was not changing the plays at the line of scrimmage a thousand times in a row like Kaepernick. Even in the second half Flacco was completing big 4th quarter 3rd down passes to Boldin. Flacco deserved to be Super Bowl MVP and if there was an award in every post season game he played in this year, he would win that award as well. Don't care what other people say, Joe Flacco is now an elite Quarter Back.
5. The ravens fake Field Goal run was dumb: The Ravens decided to take a risk and fake the field goal attempt and have their kicker Justin Tucker run for a first down. Tucker was stopped 1 yard short of a first down. I got to give it to Justin. That boy can run fast. Look I know teams want to look cool and tough and take big risk's in the Super Bowl but in this kind of close game, it's better off not taking such a huge risk like this. It almost cost the ravens the Super Bowl win.
6. The Halftime show was awesome: Beyonce was awesome in the Super Bowl Halftime show. The music was great and her singing was awesome. Usually I don't watch the Halftime show or just watch it and say it was awful. But this year, my face was glued to the T.V. and said that this was one of the best Super Bowl Halftime show's ever. After this year's great Halftime show, there needs to be a halftime show next year. Simple as that NFL.
7. 2nd half power outage was weird and long: I don't know if the amount of lights used for the Halftime show knocked the lights off to cause a delay in the game or what but the power outage was weird long. It took about 35 minutes to get half of the lights in the Superdome to come back on. The delay made myself every Football fan in America anxious and annoyed. It really benefited the 49ers but it was bad on the Superdome's reputation of being such a great Stadium and hosting another Super Bowl again in the future.
8. The 49ers made a great comeback: I guess the power outage really helped the 49ers. The 49ers outscored Baltimore 25 to 6 after the power outage and almost won this game. Colin Kaepernick was more calm and scoring touchdowns and the ravens defense was getting worn out and tired. The 49ers comeback really made this such a great game and made it come down to the wire. But it was not enough to beat the Ravens after putting yourself in a big hole in the first half.
9. 4th and goal fail for the 49ers: The 49ers where only down by 5 with under 2 minutes left in the game and failed to get the touchdown on 4th and goal. There was a lot of contact between Michael Crabtree and Jimmy Smith and fans say there should have been a defensive holding penalty on Jimmy Smith. In my opinion there most likely should have been a flag thrown for holding on Jimmy Smith but if you look at pictures of the play and video's of the play, Crabtree could have been called for offensive pass interference himself. either way, no touchdown was scored and 49ers fans where left furious at the ref's as always.
10. Baltimore Ravens deserved this Super Bowl win: I have probably said this a million times in this one post but the Ravens deserved and got the Super Bowl win. The Ravens where more aggressive and controlled the tempo in this game. Ray Lewis goes out as a winner and Joe Flacco gets a well deserved Super Bowl MVP. Congratulations to the Baltimore Ravens.
By: Andrew Harrington