My deepest sympathies go out to the victims of Monday's attack in Boston.
First pitch: Game 1 of the Mets-Rockies doubleheader begins at 3:10 p.m. ET, while the AL day starts at 7:05 with a pair of games.
Interleague DH issues: Haven't seen any news yet on who the Diamondbacks will use at DH against the Yankees. Eric Chavez, maybe? The Rangers will make Lance Berkman a pinch hitter during this week's trip to Wrigley Field, while the Royals haven't yet announced their plans for the series in Atlanta. I suspect that Eric Hosmer will play right field tonight, and sit Wednesday against lefty Mike Minor.
Streaming starters: Chad Billingsley's mediocre effort dropped our streaming starter record to 5-7 for the season. Derek Holland (owned in 35.4 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) is today's pick against the Cubs, while Wednesday's selection is Oakland's Bartolo Colon (2 percent owned) versus the Astros.
On to the rest of the news:
- With Mitchell Boggs struggling, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said Monday that the team would use multiple options to close for the time being, and two of the team's beat writers tweeted last night that Edward Mujica was expected to enter the game if a save situation arose. My money is still on Trevor Rosenthal here, since a chairman usually emerges in these committees, but anything can happen. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- After missing his fourth straight game last night, Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton will test his injured shoulder today before a next step (playing tonight, DL, etc.) is determined. Let's hope Stanton gets back soon, because without him, the Marlins' lineup is especially hideous. Go ahead - see for yourself.
- Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie will make his 2013 debut tonight at third base - not second base, as we'd been teased about earlier this week. RF Jose Bautista (back) is expected to return to the lineup as well. For those keeping track, Bautista has made three appearances at third base so far this season.
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto has officially been placed on the DL with a strained lat muscle, but he expects to be back after 15 days. Lefty Tony Cingrani (0.00 ERA, 26 K in 14 1/3 IP at Triple A) is expected to start in Cueto's place on Thursday. Cingrani is pitching well, his stuff isn't lights-out, and you know how I feel about rookie starters. Temper your expectations, and don't drop anyone good in an effort to acquire him in mixed leagues. FanGraphs has this quick, helpful look at Cingrani.
- Red Sox DH David Ortiz (Achilles) was scratched from his Monday rehab appearance with mild left heel pain. A possible weekend return is starting to look a little shaky for Ortiz.
- Peter Bourjos is the Angels' leadoff hitter, at least while Erick Aybar and Alberto Callaspo are out. Didn't they have a good leadoff hitter last season? Young guy, kind of fast, little bit of power, photo is a few lines above us in this blog entry?
- Mets SP Shaun Marcum (neck) is targeting a return to the rotation next week.
- The Mariners sound like they're in no hurry to promote catching prospect Mike Zunino.
- Jose Valverde tossed two scoreless innings in an extended spring training game on Monday. He still has a ways to go, though.
- Nationals 2B Danny Espinosa (hand) hopes to be back in the lineup on Wednesday.
- Good luck with the White Sox, Tyler Greene, but I've been down this road with you before. Your part-time status limits you to minor AL-only usefulness, anyway.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning.