Trade news: The Brewers dealt RP Francisco Rodriguez to the Orioles on Tuesday for 3B prospect Nick Delmonico. This hurts Rodriguez's owners, as he'll move from a closer's gig in Milwaukee to a setup role in Baltimore. In Milwaukee, FOXSports Wisconsin's Andrew Gruman quotes manager Ron Roenicke as saying that John Axford and Jim Henderson will "flip-flop" in the closer's role for now. Henderson has been good all season, while Axford has been lights-out since some early April struggles. I'd take a flier on Ax if betting on one guy to emerge with the job.
Delmonico has decent power (13 homers in A ball) with a good eye, and is probably a couple of years away from the majors. He's not a big-time prospect, but should be an everyday player, according to prospect watchers.
First pitch: The A's and Astros get AL action underway at 2:10 p.m. ET, while Pirates-Nationals at 7:05 is the first NL game.
Interleague DH issues: The Dodgers visit the Blue Jays one more time. Look for either Carl Crawford or Adrian Gonzalez to DH tonight.
Streaming starters: Tony Cingrani's solid Tuesday start raised our record to 63-35. Today's pick is Chad Gaudin (owned in 15.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) versus the Reds, while Thursday's choice is Oakland's underrated rookie Dan Straily (3.5 percent owned) against the Angels.
On to the news:
- Braves SP Kris Medlen got knocked around a bit last night. He's gonna lose his rotation spot when Brandon Beachy gets back.
- Fantasy owners might never be able to draft Alex Rodriguez again.
- The Marlins have called up outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick. Both showed decent power and speed at Double A, and both are probably going to struggle in the near term, so you probably don't want them beyond NL-only leagues. Here's a look at how the promotions will affect the Marlins' lineup; Justin Ruggiano appears bench-bound, and Marcell Ozuna has been sent to the minors.
- Astros OFs Brandon Barnes (calf) and J.D. Martinez (back) are day-to-day.
- The Red Sox don't seem to think SP Clay Buchholz will be back until late August at the earliest.
- The Reds expect to get C Ryan Hanigan back from the DL on Thursday.
- Joe Mauer flew from Anaheim to Minnesota on Tuesday to attend the birth of his twins. He'll be placed on the paternity list, and could be out until Saturday.
- Yankees 3B Luis Cruz (knee) is headed to the DL. I sincerely hope that news doesn't affect anyone's fantasy team.
- Pirates closer Jason Grilli is on the DL with a strained right forearm, and we should know soon if there's an elbow issue. As noted here yesterday, Mark Melancon will close.
- Padres SP Jason Marquis will have Tommy John surgery. Best wishes to my fellow South Shore Little League alumnus for a full recovery.
- Matt Garza starts tonight for the Rangers.
- Tigers 3B Miguel Cabrera (hip) is still day-to-day. He didn't play on Tuesday.
See you back here tomorrow morning.