Scheduling note: I'll be on vacation next week. The FOXSports.com fantasy team will post important news and notes in this space while I'm gone, but the usual 8 a.m. ET entries will resume on June 17.
First pitch: The Pirates and Cubs have a 2:20 p.m. ET matinee at Wrigley, while American League action gets underway shortly after 7.
Interleague DH issues: The Twins are in D.C. to face the Nats, so Ryan Doumit might see some time in the outfield while Chris Parmelee sits.
Streaming starters: Dan Straily's so-so outing dropped our record to 41-22. The weekend selections are Miami's Jose Fernandez (owned in 22.4 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Mets tonight, Shaun Marcum (24.1 percent owned) versus the Marlins on Saturday, and David Phelps (6.9 percent owned) at Seattle on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland (hamstring) has been placed on the DL. Chris McGuiness (6 HR, .858 OPS at Triple A) has been called up, and will "get the bulk of the playing tine ... against right-handed pitchers and some lefties," according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. McGuinness over the hot-hitting Jeff Baker? I'm skeptical, but McGuiness is worth a look in AL-only leagues. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- Brad Boxberger got an extra-inning save last night for the Padres, but extra-inning saves can be fluky, and this one was. Nothing to see here, folks. No pickups necessary.
- Another opposite-field homer for Yasiel Puig, huh? This guy has some serious power. As of this morning, Puig is up to 66.5 percent ownership at FOXSports.com, so you may have missed your chance to get him.
- In related news, the Dodgers aren't sure if OF Carl Crawford (hamstring) will be ready to return before the end of June.
- Bryce Harper's knee isn't getting better, and the Nationals are starting to worry. Don't panic if you own Harper, but you might want to break out the rosary beads this weekend if you can find them.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips (forearm) is expected to be back in the lineup tonight.
- Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira has three home runs and 10 strikeouts in seven games since coming off the DL. My glass is half-full on this one.
- Boy, oh boy, is Shelby Miller having a good season.
- Rays 2B Kelly Johnson missed Thursday's game due to back spasms. He's day-to-day.
- The Padres placed 1B Yonder Alonso (bruised hand) on the DL. Mark Kotsay played first base for the Pads last night, but the hulking (and underrated) Kyle Blanks appears in line to get most of the at bats while Alonso is out. Check Blanks' availability in your NL-only league, and maybe even in your deep mixed league for a short-term power jolt.
- Look for Astros 2B Jose Altuve (groin) to return to the lineup on Saturday.
- Speaking of the Astros, their selection of Stanford ace Mark Appel with the first pick of last night's draft is a good story, with him being a Houston native and all. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2017 American League West champions ...
- The Marlins are expecting to get Giancarlo Stanton back from the DL on Monday. Hallelujah.
- Rockies OF Dexter Fowler missed his second straight game on Thursday due to a migraine. Hopefully, he'll feel better today.
- Red Sox Will Middlebrooks and Shane Victorino both homered in Thursday rehab appearances, and Middlebrooks could return to Boston as soon as Saturday. There had been some discussion of Middlebrooks staying in the minors until he started to hit better, but he's hitting now. Taking a pitch once in awhile probably wouldn't hurt.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
Have a great weekend, folks.