That White Sox-Mariners game yesterday was a crazy one, huh? It reminds me of this game that I attended in 1995 at Candlestick Park. After nobody scored through 14 innings, the Dodgers scored three times in the top of the 15th, and then the Giants scored four runs to win in the bottom of the inning. I think the temperature dropped 30 degrees between the first pitch and the final run crossing home plate.
First pitch: The Rays and Tigers start the AL day at 1:08 p.m. ET, while Mets-Nats kicks off NL action at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: None.
Streaming starters: John Lackey's solid effort raised our record to 41-21 for the season. Today's selection is Oakland's emerging Dan Straily (owned in 11.5 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the White Sox in Chicago, while Friday's pick is Miami's Jose Fernandez (20.8 percent owned) on the road versus the Mets.
On to the news:
- Stephen Strasburg's lat strain has finally resulted in a DL stint. Nationals manager Davey Johnson hinted Wednesday that Strasburg could return when eligible on June 16, but expect caution if there's any need for it.
- Reds SP Johnny Cueto (shoulder) also thinks he'll be back from the DL on June 16. Pedro Villareal started in Cueto's place on Wednesday, and it's possible that Tony Cingrani will get back in the mix. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- The Red Sox seem to think they'll get OF Jacoby Ellsbury (groin) back in the lineup tonight. Teammate Will Middlebrooks is at Triple A for what looked like a rehab assignment, but the Sox are saying that he'll need to play well to come back to Boston.
- White Sox SP Jake Peavy is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a fractured rib. Ouch.
- Reds 2B Brandon Phillips (forearm) is still targeting a Friday return. Teammate Chris Heisey (hamstring) will start a rehab assignment Friday, and plans to return early next week.
- Rockies SP Tyler Chatwood (triceps) will miss his Saturday start, but the injury isn't considered serious.
- Edwin Encarnacion made his fifth appearance of the season at third base on Wednesday. Congratulations to all those fantasy owners - like me! - who own E5 in a league where he now has extra positional eligibility.
- Rangers 1B Mitch Moreland left Wednesday's game with a tight hamstring. He'll have an MRI today.
- The Padres have reactivated OF Cameron Maybin (wrist) after a 45-game absence.
- Wandy Rodriguez left his Wednesday start after just 14 pitches due to forearm tightness, and his status is TBD.
- Nice game, Cole Hamels. It was the Marlins, though.
- The Brewers placed SP Marco Estrada (hamstring) on the DL.
- The Angels hope to get OF Peter Bourjos back from the DL on Monday. Maybe he can finally start making me look smart for putting him on all my preseason breakout lists.
- You might view Chris Perez's marijuana mess as a potential boon for the fantasy value of Vinnie Pestano. I prefer to see it as moving Cody Allen to within a heartbeat of the Indians' closer job.
- Here's some info on how the Marlins might juggle some positions to accommodate the looming returns of Giancarlo Stanton and Logan Morrison.
- As usual, I'll be in the chat room today at 2 p.m. ET.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here tomorrow morning.