The Royals have named Hall of Famer George Brett as their interim hitting coach. Brett had 3,154 career hits, but the first thing I think of when I hear his name mentioned is this hilarious video about him sh*tting his pants. Is that bad?
First pitch: The Diamondbacks and Cubs have a 2:20 p.m. ET matinee at Wrigley, while AL action gets underway at 7:05.
Interleague DH issues: The Blue Jays lose their DH - probably Adam Lind - in San Diego.
Streaming starters: Andrew Cashner's mediocre start met the K and WHIP parts of our Fantasy Quality Start criteria, so we're up to 38-18. The weekend picks are Shaun Marcum (owned in 25.3 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) versus the Marlins on Friday, Miami's Jose Fernandez (19.3 percent owned) against the Mets on Saturday, and Zach McAllister (21.6 percent owned) against the Rays on Sunday.
On to the news:
- The Yankees plan to activate 1B Mark Teixeira and 1B/3B Kevin Youkilis prior to tonight's game. Are you excited about Teixeira's 2013 debut? I'm lukewarm. We're not sure how his wrist injury will affect his power, and he batted .252 from 2010-12. Teixeira will probably hit 15-20 home runs over the remainder of the season, with solid totals in runs and RBI, but there's some risk, and he's not an elite hitter any more. However, he's available in 27.7 percent of FOXSports.com leagues, and worth a pickup if available.
- As feared, Dodgers OF Matt Kemp has landed on the DL with a hamstring injury. Kemp and the Dodgers seem to think he'll be back when his 15 days are up. FANTASY NEWS Check out the latest
- In better Dodger news, SS Hanley Ramirez is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment tonight, and is shooting for a return early next week.
- The Orioles were held to three hits over eight scoreless innings by Freddy Garcia? If I was Davey Johnson, I'd be looking to make some changes, too. Those of you who still own 2B Danny Espinosa might want to start looking for replacements.
- In other Nats' news, OF Bryce Harper hopes to return to the lineup tonight.
- Mets SP Jon Niese will skip his Saturday start due to tendinitis in his shoulder, and hopefully that's all the time he'll miss. Zack Wheeler will NOT start in Niese's place.
- White Sox 2B Gordon Beckham (hand) had three hits in a Triple-A rehab game on Thursday. Next Thursday appears to be the target date for Beckham's activation.
- Yankees SP Andy Pettitte is expected to come off the DL to start on Monday.
- Uh-oh. D-backs 3B Eric Chavez left Thursday's game with a strained oblique. If you're new around here, the word oblique is French for "disabled list."
- Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz (shoulder) is currently scheduled to start on Sunday.
- Here's an update on injured Marlins OF Giancarlo Stanton. I have no idea what it means.
- Josh Hamilton missed his second game in three days due to back spasms. Hopefully, this won't linger.
- One day after coming off the seven-day concussion DL, Twins 3B Trevor Plouffe has been placed on the 15-day DL with a calf injury.
- It's unclear when Phillies 3B Michael Young will return from the bereavement list. Be careful with Young this weekend in daily lineup leagues.
- This story about Padres SS Everth Cabrera is pretty funny.
- Pretty good, Michael Wacha. He'll face the Diamondbacks next time.
- Rays SP Alex Cobb has had his next start pushed to Tuesday due to a cracked fingernail.
fantasy baseball news
and advice on FOXSports.com!
See you back here Monday morning.