My AP Top 25 ballot (after Washington lost to Washington State late last night)
There's not a ton of disparity right now from No. 2 Kansas to No. 6 Pittsburgh. In fact, you can pretty much put those five teams in whatever order you want and make a valid case.
1. Ohio State (22-0) *1 – The Buckeyes crushed Purdue in Columbus and then got a free throw from Jared Sullinger to hold off Northwestern in Illinois.
2. Kansas (20-1) *5 – The Jayhawks edged Colorado in Boulder, 82-78, and then crushed Kansas State in Lawrence.
3. UConn (17-3) *3 – The Huskies began the week with a road win at Marquette, but came up short in double-overtime at home against Louisville.
4. Texas (18-3) *8 – The Longhorns had a pretty good week, taking care of Oklahoma State in Stillwater without any difficulty and then beating Missouri in Austin.
5. Notre Dame (17-4) *6 – The Irish haven’t played since the huge road win at Pittsburgh last Monday night.
6. Pittsburgh (20-2) *7 – The Panthers lost to Notre Dame at home to begin the week and barely got Rutgers on the road.
7. San Diego State (21-1) *2 – The Aztecs fell short against The Jimmer and BYU out in Provo with Kawhi Leonard at less than 100 percent, but rebounded with a rout over Wyoming.
8. Duke (20-2) *4 – The Blue Devils beat Boston College in Durham, but got handled easily on the road against St. John’s.
9. BYU (20-2) *11 – The Jimmer went nuts and went for 43 to give San Diego State it’s first loss of the season, but the Cougars came up short at The Pit against New Mexico.
10. Georgetown (16-5) *16 – The Hoyas have played well of late, winning at home against St. John’s and then going on the road and coming away with a victory at Villanova.
11. Kentucky (16-4) *17 – In the Wildcats only game, they got redemption for a road loss against Georgia earlier in the year with a victory in Lexington over the Bulldogs.
12. Purdue (18-4) *14 – The Boilermakers rebounded from a butt-whipping at Ohio State with a home victory over Minnesota.
13. Villanova (17-4) *9 – The Wildcats lost a pair this week – at Providence and then at home against Georgetown. Corey Stokes and Corey Fisher were just 4-of-26 in the loss to the Friars.
14. Louisville (17-4) *NR – The Cardinals earned a spot in the poll courtesy of a home win against West Virginia and a road victory at UConn.
15. Wisconsin (15-5) *13 – The Badgers lost on the road to Penn State.
16. Missouri (17-4) *15 – The Tigers lost in Austin to Texas.
17. Texas A&M (17-3) *12 – The Aggies lost on the road to Nebraska as the starting backcourt of Dash Harris and B.J. Holmes managed a combined seven points.
18. Syracuse (18-4) *10 – The Orange free-fall continues its third and fourth consecutive loss – to Seton Hall at home and Marquette on the road.
19. West Virginia (14-6) *NR – The Mountaineers lost at Louisville and then went on the road and beat Cincinnati.
20. Arizona (18-4) *25 – The Wildcats swept UCLA and USC in Tucson.
21. Illinois (14-7) *18 – The Illini only had one game this past week, but it was a forgettable one as Bruce Weber’s team lost in Bloomington to Indiana.
22. Minnesota (16-5) *19 – The Gophers got 20 points from Blake Hoffarber in a win against Northwestern, but came up short, 73-61, at Purdue.
23. Washington (15-5) *21 – The Huskies lost to Washington State late Sunday night.
24. North Carolina (15-5) *NR – The Tar Heels won at Miami and then pounded N.C. State in Chapel Hill.
25. Marquette (14-8) *NR – Buzz Williams’ team split two home games – losing to UConn and beating Syracuse.
Dropped Out: No. 20 Florida; No. 22 Michigan State; No. 23 Vanderbilt; No. 24 Florida State