Origin Story: I am an NFL scavenger...not once upon a time, but instead since I was a child aware of Barry Sanders until September 14, 2008 (a date which will live in infamy Jon Kitna), I was a Detroit Lions fan. Since that day I just look around the league for oddities or exciting plays or to see how LSU Tigers in the NFL are doing. It's been a good decade for Tigers in the NFL as EVERY Super Bowl Champ since 2001 has had at least one Tiger on the roster. LSU also has the longest current streak of first round draft picks (6 years) and has produced 3 straight top 5 picks.
Here's this week's rundown:
- Cowboys end Saints pursuit of perfection, read extended commentary here.
- Jamarcus Russell, forced into glory by the manhandling of yet another Raiders QB (Charlie Frye this time, in his first action of the season no less) by an opposing defense, finds Chaz Schilens for a TD with 0:35 remaining in the game. Raiders win in Denver--take that Broncos playoff hopes. Despite these heroics, Russell did not win his starting job back. I swear that link does not lead you to LSU v. Tennessee circa 2006--this link does.
- Ben Roethlisberger throws for 503 yards (first Steelers QB to throw for 500 yards) including this mind bottling TD pass to set up the game winning XP. Big Ben's big day broke the Steelers record for passing yards in a game held by the one (and only) XFL MVP Tommy Maddox who futilely slung the ball around for 473 yards in a 2002 TIE.
- Colts survive the Jaguars and move out to 14-0 all alone, see Cowboys v. Saints above. Peyton Manning ripped the Jags secondary a new one en route to attaining his 10th season of 4,000 passing yards and yet another 4 passing TD game. The latter exploit tied him with Dan Marino for second all-time with 21 such games. Brett Favre is the leader with 22 4 passing TD games. He certainly won't improve on that record if he keeps playing like he did Sunday and getting into "heated discussions" with his coach about whether he should be in the game or not.
- The Arizona Cardinals won the NFC West for the second year in a row by outlasting the worst team in the NFL since 2001 (33-109 over that span), the Detroit Lions. The last time the Cardinals won their division 2 years in a row was 1974-1975 when they still played in St. Louis and were located in the NFC East.
- Manning the Younger (Eli) was pretty precise in a terribly unentertaining Monday night game against the Washington [nickname redacted]. It got so out of hand that David Carr got to throw the ball four (4) times for the Giants. To close out a half of ineptness (2 whole first downs), Washington tried a fake FG um what the hell was that? pass play (?) with Hunter Smith (the punter) who promptly threw a wounded duck pass before the 3 unblocked Giants' rushers could sack him. Smith was unsurprisingly intercepted by one of the 5 eligible and willing Giants defenders who crowded underneath the pop fly from Smith. Once Washington finally did score a TD their kicking woes continued as Graham Gano's XP was blocked (Washington failed on a 2 pt try on their other TD). Remember the Unknown Who Dat game?
Shaun Suisham, fired for that miserable shank job above (I swear it was really a FG try, not an XP), was hired by his old mates down in Big D to replace Nick Folk who was more recently a victim of the Unknown Who Dat.
- Let's not get too excited about Jerome Harrison breaking Jim Brown's single game rushing record for the Browns. The Browns v. Chiefs was a first class pillow fight between two teams going absolutely nowhere. Jim Brown set his record as a rookie in 1957 against a Los Angeles Rams team that won half of their games. 1957, back when the Detroit Lions won their last championship (destroying the Browns 59-14, coincidentally) and the NFL had 12 teams. However, Josh Cribbs of the current Browns team deserves far more than golf clapping for housing two (2) of Kansas City's kickoffs which gave him a total of eight for his career, an NFL record.
- Best LSU Tiger in the NFL performance for Week 15: Jamarcus Russell, of course. With his struggles this season, how could it be anyone else?
That's all the No Fun League coverage I can stomach for this week.