The SDCCU Poinsettia Bowl is played in Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. This year, the Utah Utes from the MWC (Bowl Challenge leading conference) will take on the Cal Golden Bears from the Pac 10.
- Utah is playing Frosh QB Jordan Wynn.
- Jahvid Best is not playing for Cal.
- Utah owns the nation's longest bowl win streak (8 games, 4-0 overall and 1-0 in the Poinsettia Bowl during Coach Whittingham's tenure).
- Utah has a nasty habit of embarrassing BCS AQ conference teams in bowls, 4-0 record in the BCS era and an average score of 28.5 to 10.
- Cal's Jeff Tedford is 5-1 in bowl games and has won 4 straight bowl games.
- One of my friends has a son on Utah's team. However, OL Kapua Sai is redshirting this year. Cal should count themselves lucky.
- In the PS3 NCAA Football 10 simulation I ran of this game, Cal won 9 times out of 10.
Analysis: Shane Vereen, who will be filling in for Best, is a very capable running back. I think he will have a good game and quite possibly a 100 yard day. Although Utah runs a spread offense, unlike the Oregon debacle I saw earlier this season, Cal will be ready to play. Every major factor seems to favor the Utes in this game (except the video game simulation) but I can't go with them.
Prediction: Cal should be able to control the clock and win a rather low scoring affair, 24-10. Although it won't be hot in San Diego, milk will still be a bad beverage choice for this game.