The Detmer Award is back for a second season and the Week 1 voting results have been posted at the Award's host site, Saturday Blitz.com.
Here's my Week 1 Ballot:
1. Andrew Manley, QB, New Mexico State
2. Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
3. Austin Franklin, WR, New Mexico State
4. Cory James, LB, Colorado State
5. Johnnie Simon, S, Western Michigan
The Top Five from all the ballots turned out to be (1st place votes in brackets):
1. Tyler Tettleton, QB, Ohio (6)
2. Austin Franklin, WR, New Mexico State (2)
3t. Shawn Southward, WR, Troy
3t. Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
5. Andrew Manley, QB, New Mexico State (1)
While Ohio's win over Penn State was impressive, it was not an upset from where I'm standing. I fully expected Ohio to win the game and march toward a 12-0 record this year. If Tettleton can guide the Bobcats in that direction, he'll have the stats to win the Detmer Award and he'll be getting my vote.
In the meantime, I was impressed by the players on my ballot for the reasons I spelled out at Saturday Blitz.
The Detmer Award annually honors college football's premier player from a non-automatic qualifying conference. Last year's winner was Houston quarterback Case Keenum.