Found February 28, 2013 on Fox Sports:
Chavez_v_parisi_1d79
The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined and suspended boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Thursday over a failed drug test last year. The 26-year-old Mexican fighter tested positive for marijuana in September after his first professional loss. Chavez (46-1-1) was suspended for nine months and fined $900,000, which amounts to 30 percent of his $3 million purse for the fight against Sergio Martinez. Chavez said through a translator that he was sorry for his actions and had taken the drug to curb his stress before the fight. The commission could have banned him for one year and penalized him for up to 100 percent of his purse. At a meeting in January, commissioners questioned why Chavez had not yet returned to Nevada for disciplinary action. Attorney Donald Campbell said the former middleweight champion had been stuck in Mexico, unable to obtain a visa. Chavez's failed test was revealed Sept. 15 shortly after his dramatic loss to Martinez. Chavez already was fined $20,000 and suspended indefinitely by the WBC, whose belt he lost to Martinez. In 2009, Chavez tested positive for another banned substance after his fight with Troy Rowland in Las Vegas. He received a seven-month suspension from the Nevada commission. Chavez was arrested on drunken driving charges last year in Los Angeles, and struggled to make weight for a championship bout last February against Marco Antonio Rubio in San Antonio, Texas. His promoter, Bob Arum, said in September that he did not see marijuana as a performance-enhancing drug.
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Chavez Jr. suspended, fined for doping

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has fined and suspended boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for a failed drug test last year. The 26-year-old Mexican fighter tested positive for marijuana in September after his first professional loss. Chavez (46-1-1) was suspended for 9 months and fined $900,000, which amounts to 30 percent of his $3 million purse for the fight against Sergio Martinez...

Chavez Jr. punished over drug test

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has fined and suspended boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. over a failed drug test last year. The 26-year-old Mexican fighter tested positive for marijuana in September after his first professional loss. Chavez (46-1-1) was suspended for 9 months and fined $900,000, which amounts to 30 percent of his $3 million purse for the fight against Sergio Martinez...

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Suspended 9 Months For Smoking Weed

Boxer Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was fined and suspended today after failing a drug test last year, before his Mexican Independence Day Fight in Las Vegas. Chavez Jr. tested positive for marijuana in September after his first professional loss, resulting in a nine months suspension and fine of $900,000. “I know I committed a big error. It was a mistake,” Chavez told the five commissioners...

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. docked nearly $1 million for his failed drug test

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was fined $900,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission at a hearing on Thursday afternoon, the long-awaited result of his failed post-fight drug test for marijuana, after his loss to Sergio Martinez this past September. Chavez Jr. was also suspended by the NSAC for nine months, although that goes retroactively to the date of the fight, which really means...
Boxing News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.