Found January 13, 2013 on
Fox Sports West:
USC cornerback Nickell Robey said Sunday he would forgo his final season of eligibility and make himself available for the NFL draft.
Robey, a three-year starter for the Trojans, said he made his decision a few days ago and informed Coach Lane Kiffin.
He respected my decision, Robey said. Its a business decision, like any other important decision Ive made my whole life.
Its the best thing for my family and for me.
Robey is the second USC player with eligibility remaining to declare for the draft. Receiver Robert Woods announced immediately after the Trojans Sun Bowl loss to Georgia Tech that he was turning pro.
The 5-foot-8, 165-pound Robey said he had submitted paperwork to the NFL and that he had been invited to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine.
Robey, who came to USC from Frostproof, Fla., said last month that an evaluation from the NFL did not project him being selected in the first three rounds.
But Robey said he was not deterred from pursuing his dream of playing in the NFL.
This is an opportunity, he said. Nothing is guaranteed to anybody. They can make a lot of predictions, but nothing is guaranteed.
Robey had 52 tackles and intercepted one pass this season as teams threw away from his side. He intercepted seven passes in three seasons.
Robey thanked USC and Trojans fans for their support during his career. He said Kiffin was supportive of his decision.
He took it very professionally, Robey said. He didnt say, Dont go.
He wished me the best of luck and thanked me for coming to USC.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
USC junior cornerback Nickell Robey decides to forego his senior season to enter the NFL draft.
USC Trojans head football coach Lane Kiffin has done some questionable things during his coaching career. And the latest story involving a recruit alleging that Kiffin pulled his scholarship three days prior to arriving on campus isn't likely to help Kiffin's reputation, either.From Yahoo! Sports:Defensive end Kylie Fitts, a four-star recruit Rivals ranked seventh nationally...
LOS ANGELES -- USC athletic director Pat Haden announced Monday morning that head basketball coach Kevin ONeill has been relieved of his duties.
The move comes on the heels of the Trojans win at Utah Saturday, that snapped a 14-game road losing streak. In just over three seasons, ONeill guided the Trojans to a 48-65 record, and was just 6-26 last season. The Trojans are currently...
I suppose former USC defensive lineman Armond Armstead would have a problem with being associated with USC in the headline and in this sentence since he is suing them for allegedly causing the heart attack that caused him to miss the 2011 season and go undrafted in the 2012 draft. But that’s what happened and he DID play there for three seasons.
Armstead played the 2012 season...
Southern California athletic director Pat Haden says Trojans men's basketball coach Kevin O'Neill has been relieved of his duties.
The school says assistant coach Bob Cantu will serve as interim head coach while USC searches for a successor.
Haden says in a news release that it became evident to him this season that the program needed new leadership and that it was best...
Lane Kiffin just can’t stop bringing negative attention to the USC program. In the six months alone, Kiffin has lied about his coaches poll vote, prohibited visiting teams from doing walkthroughs at the Coliseum, pulled a walk-ons scholarship to give it to a player fresh out jail, briefly banned a reporter for doing his job, and had to fire a student manager who deflated balls...
USC athletic directo Pat Haden announced Monday that Kevin O'Neill was relieved of his coaching duties as the head coach of the men's basketball team. Haden elected assistant coach Bob Cantu to serve as the interim head coach as USC conducts a coaching search. Cantu spoke with FOX Sports NEXT the same day the news was announced.