July 30, 2012

Chicago Cubs Take No Prisoners ~

Oh ~ what a weekend in sports. Multiple NBC channels offering Summer Olympic coverage. I was drowned by the swimming events, my legs hurt watching all the cycling, got dusty watching the "beach volleyball", field hockey I just don't understand ~ why the short sticks?!! But a marvel that these young to some middle aged athletes are part of such a grand moment in their lives. The U.S. is quite well in their gymnastic performances. I was about "sported out" with watching "sports".

However ~ had to squeeze in watching the St. Louis Cardinals (54-48) in their series against the Chicago Cubs (42-58). The Cardinals started off with a bang, 9-6 win, taking the first game with five home runs and multiple RBI's. Was an awesome game of seeing the ball fly out of Wrigley Park. Cardinals SP Lance Lynn for the win. 

Then ~ the Cubs decided....they were taking no prisoners! Not in their home park, and to the delight of the northenders, the Cubs took the two remaining games out of the three game series, 3-2 and 4-2 ~ handing Cardinals SP Kelly and Wainwright their losses. 

In yesterday's game ~ it was Cubs SP Maholm who got credit for their win and CP Russell with the save after ten innings of play. Maholm allowed 1 run, 4 hits in the 6 2/3's innings with 4 walks and 5 strike outs.

Cardinals SP Wainwright allowed 6 hits, two runs, 1 walk and 5 strike-outs. Even though not bad stats for his day on the mound, the Cardinals closer allowed the final blows. Cubs Paul Maholm had an excellent game going until the top of the seventh...allowed the one run by Freese, loaded the bases with two outs and Cardinals Craig was at the plate. Maholm was relieved by Camp who retired the Cardinals with a fly out by Craig, leaving a full house on base. Camp continued into the eighth inning threw a pitch Cardinals Beltran took advantage of hitting it out of the park for a solo home run, tied score. Cubs CP Marmol and Cardinals CP Boggs kept the score tied to put the game into extra inning play.

The decision of Cardinals Manager Matheny to put CP Rosenthal in for the tenth was not what I would have decided with the game on the line ~ but, it was what it was. Cardinals had brought Rosenthal up in recent days and reportedly wanted to see what he could do. By watching, in pain, what was to be the last inning ~ a lot of pressure for Rosenthal, especially with Cubs Castro and Rizzo to start their batting line-up. Two of the Cubs best hitters. Castro singled, and Rizzo ~ first ever in his baseball history ... little league on up .... cranked out a two run walk-off homer into left. I'm sure making one Cub fan extremely happy to catch. So, not a great showing for Rosenthal in his first mound appearance for the Cardinals. 

If the Cardinals were going to close the standings in the NL Cent, this would have been the weekend to do it. They now sit 7.5 behind the Cincinnati Reds, (61-40) and second to the Pirates (58-43) by 4.5. They go on to face the Rockies (37-63). Hopefully they can get back on track, again, to build their "W" column.  The Cubs host the Pirates in their upcoming series, so hopefully they will continue to be the spoiler in the division.  

As we know in any sporting event ~ professional or the Olympics, there are upsets and victories. We take them in stride and continue to support our teams of choice ... and or participant in the games.

To all ~ have a great day!  Always ~ Elichap

1 Comment:
  • Im shocked you dont suffer from BURNOUT??? last night I simply forgot all about the olympics not because I chose to??? I just got to talking on the phone witha freind and getting on this little device known as a PC and started blogging and emailing my buddys and then later went to bed....this is why I dont own cable TV..why would I ?? my TV does not get turned on till around 6pm everynight unless??? there might be something on I might want to watch but thats rarely....watching baseball on the tube puts me to sleep unless its a team I like aka mariners or Blazers from the NBA....ID RATHER sit here in front of this thing rather than be handcuffed to that chair with my ??? up my ????
All Sports News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Toss pies at Harvey Updyke for charity

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.