September 28, 2013

What Happened To The Football In N'F'L?

As I watch NFL games this season I have to wonder as many of you probably have, what am I watching?

Football is a contact sport. A high contact sport. Yet what I am seeing is a contact sport where the players are afraid to make contact for fear of a penalty.

Any defender in the vicinity of the quarterback looks like they are trying to decide what to order on a french restaurant menu.

They stand and stare as though they can’t make up their mind what they want to do.

They can’t hit the him low because there is a rule against going after a quarterback’s legs when his feet are planted a.k.a. the Tom Brady rule.

They can’t hit him high because there is a rule against going after a player above the shoulders (which there should be).

So they stand there and stare trying to figure out how they can tackle him without being penalized.

It’s literally a game of “who took the ‘f’ out of football.

Football is a sport which involves hitting and tackling people.

Although I understand there must be rules to guard against injury and foul play I believe in the interest of increasing their fan base and revenue by increasing the scoring the NFL loosened (or tightened depending on whether you’re talking about offense or defense) the rules to the point where the players don’t know how to play the game anymore.

Which leaves us with football without the foot.

Football is a violent game and those who play it know that.

There is a certain amount of contact that has to be in the game or it is no longer football.

At least not tackle football.

The NFL rules committee needs to stop fudging with the game and let grown men play a grown man’s game.

Injury is part of the territory when men are running into each other so stop trying to eliminate injury by eliminating contact because after a while all you will be left with is players running and jumping.

And that’s an entirely different sport.

I think they call it long-jumping or triple jump.

NFL rules committee: stop the madness.

Please.      

3 Comments:
  • Some of the rules are good and some do take away from the game. I think the refs are throwing way too many flags this year.

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.