January 22, 2014

Anniversary of Kobe Bryant’s Legendary 81-Point Game

January 22 marks the eighth anniversary of Kobe Bryant's 81-point game against the Toronto Raptors back in 2006. Kobe cemented his name in NBA history, second to Wilt Chamberlain, for the most points scored in a single NBA game.

Kobe saw red that night in the Staples Center, scoring 51 points at halftime, later ending the game as an 81-point scoring machine.

The assassin they call the “Black Mamba” shot 28-of-46 from the field, 7-of-13 from three, and 18-of-20 from the charity stripe in the 122-104 victory.  Kobe’s reaction after the greatest performance of his career:

Not even in my dreams,” Bryant said. “That was something that just happened. It’s tough to explain. It’s just one of those things.

It really hasn’t, like, set in for me. It’s about the `W,’ that’s why I turned it on. It turned into something special. To sit here and say I grasp what happened, that would be lying.

1 Comment:
NBA News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Toss pies at Harvey Updyke for charity

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.