July 19, 2012

Seems NBA Summer League Is Not Just A Scrimmage

Personally, not being a large NBA fan; therefore, I don't really know the in's and out's of what the teams do in the "off season".  Seems we have "summer league" play among the teams. And! appears to be just as physical as regular season, as was found out by the Trail Blazer's guard, and former Duke Star, Nolan Smith. 

Portland was playing the Houston Rocket's Tuesday night. "Smith got the ball on a fast break with less than a minute remaining in the game. He drove to his left and went up for a layup with three Rockets defenders crowded under the basket. One of those defenders, Houston guard Zoran Dragic,appeared to inadvertently elbow Smith in the head."  It was pretty obvious that Smith was shaken up ~ and absolutely confirmed after he took a few steps off the court and collapsed onto the floor. 

Smith was taken out on a stretcher and taken to the Las Vegas Hospital. Diagnosised with a concussion and held for observation.  However, released late Tuesday night when the results of the CT scan came back normal. 

Portland coach Kaleb Canales told reporters ~ asked how soon Nolan would be returning ..."Our main concern right now is Nolan and his family."

Hope for the best for Nolan ~ to be back 100%.

Have a great day!!  Always ~ Elichap

5 Comments:
  • hey ask anyone whos tryed church leagues??? you dont play for FUN AND FELLOWsHIP NE MO...NO its all about the W's this is what concerns me with all sports today....to play for enjoyment??? NOT NOW...either win at all costs ???? or??? play at any cost.....dont matter the fun of playing sports is out that winder
  • So ~ are the summer leagues just another training aspect to keep the players in shape? To give the "rookies" their chance to prove themselves before regular season? Our excitement for more "bang for the buck" seems to have gone over the top!
  • The summer leagues is about playing for big money, you have to show desire along with skills to make it in the big leagues. You have scout watching and taking notes on the little things you do every moment you're on the court as well as while you're on the bench. Because there are only so many positions to fill the players give its their all but the opportunity can't be taken for granted. Yes there are some players who go overboard but there is a place on some teams for players with that mindset, the NBA is not your Church league.
  • You are so right about that! I just didn't realize they did this....so those drafted ~ this is their true "try-out" to be on the team? Does this affect "seasoned" players as well?
  • i didnt say it was
NBA News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Kemp, Puig argue in dugout

Minnesota governor: Suspend Peterson

Tim Duncan to appear in ‘Punisher’ comic

10 takeaways from NFL Week 2

Broncos fans really dislike Phil Simms

Chris Davis helps flip truck on highway

How long will Dennis Allen last?

Papelbon gets seven-game suspension

WATCH: Student has incredible dunk fail

WATCH: Tebow makes 'GMA' debut

Kaepernick on language flag: ‘I didn’t say anything’

RG3: MRI results positive, no fracture

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.