July 12, 2012

No Forgiveness for JoePa

Joe Paterno coached football at Penn State for 46 seasons. During that time, Paterno won the most football games in FBS history with 409. He led teams to 37 bowl games, won 24 of them (also an FBS record), captured 3 Big Ten titles, was awarded countless Coach of the Year awards, sent dozens of players to the NFL, and brought home 2 National Championships. Paterno was Penn State football, right down to the library that bears his name and the statue that bears his image.

Suddenly, none of it matters anymore. Not a single bit of it.

With the release of the Freeh Report today, we now know the depth and scope of Paterno's involvement in the Jerry Sandusky scandal. It was a cover-up. A full blown cover-up. Not the "I told my boss one time and I guess that wasn't enough" garbage Paterno fed us before. That too would have been damnable on its own level, but not nearly so in the light of what actually happened.

13 Comments:
  • Ive said this until Im blue the face....how dare child abuse take the focus off football at Penn state university...sure he was a very successful coach BUT he sure couldnt face reality CHILD ABUSE what the hell is that?? HUH JOE????
  • we see this sort of crap now in sports with the lack of sportsmanship???? no its all about wins sorry gang you name me?? a team that has never lost?? I mean google a team that hasnt LOST???? unless they played one game and then folded???are we losing our grip on reality???? child abuse at Penn state?? and sweep sweep sweep and they damn near got away with it??? child abuse taking the focus off football???? sad sad very damn sad....
  • I swear to god watching the Jerry Sandusky grins??? as If NO BIG SWEAT???? what in the bloody hell is wrong with our society these days???? childern being abused and its like yesterdays news????? god sometimes I wish Harold Camping a nutcase himself but sometime please be right in your predictions of today being the last day????
  • C
    H
    I
    L
    D
    R
    e
    N abused get it???
  • another is sportsmanship gone like the dinosaur....coaches teaching #1 fundamentals..or #2 sportsmanship anymore??? I say both going the way of the D.....no sir its all about the W's now did I say a coach wants to lose??? I didnt think i did....
  • and sorry I think he should have retired long ago....a winner his numbers speak for themselves but to cover up this sickness?? DEAD WRONG
  • obythe way nice forum
  • aBoy did I ever make a blunder...in my recent forum i talked about the death penalty for football at penn state now I am thinking no why?? those kids had nothing to do with this?? so why punish them like USC probation and punish the kids who had nothing to do with it????
  • It is an indirect punishment to the students. Not being able to have football for a year will be a severe punishment to the university for years to come which in my opinion is what they need
  • yaknow what? f jopa and f his f'ing "legacy". this was a delusional old man who (frighteningly) actually believed that a f'ing football game means anything in life. halo gone... statue to be torn down very soon... all the better... f him... just another dead, stupid, out-of-touch old man. i hope he roasts in hell for what HE decided NOT to do.

warmest regards, jo.

• Very well put!!! ")
  • Don't mince words, jo...tell us how you really feel about Paterno...lol.
  • Why punish the students?? How many are having their college careers destroyed by a scandal that is none of their doing?? Isn't that just another form of abuse that the players will lose their scholarships and therefore miss out on their education because one SOB that was charged with the care of thee kids decided he thought it was a good thing to molest kids??? Joe Paterno DID report this to the school in the chain of command that was required under the schools rules. The police also KNEW all about it years ago. Yet Paterno has his whole life and his families smeared, tared and feathered while his bosses who WERE responsible for Sandusky continuing on at Penn State get off scott free!!! It's NOT the University, most of the entire staff and definetly NOT any students fault this happened. The higher ups at the University and law enforcement dropped the ball. What should have Paterno done about it?? Shot the guy?? Went to reporters and had his entire career ruined?? Paterno was not the BAD GUY here, Sandusky is the perpetrator along with the upper adminstrators who KNEW what was going on but didn't want to rock the boat!!!!
College Football News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.