January 11, 2013

The Case for Tim Tebow

The Case for Tim Tebow

A lot of college quarterbacks come into the National Football League and, for lack of a better word,  get schooled.  You know the guys…Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, and Heath Shuller.  They built your hopes up in college by breaking records and going first round and then…they suck.  A college resume does not always equal success in the NFL.  I think everyone would agree that you draft on prospect, on faith that a player will somehow live up to their college level performance and your team moves forward.

Tim Tebow did exactly that when drafted by the Denver Bronco’s in 2010.  Lest we forget, he was a first round pick for Denver along with the winner of TWO NCAA Football Championships, the Maxwell AND Obrien awards for best college quarterback, and the James Sullivan award winner for most outstanding amateur athlete.  In 2008, he led the Gators to their second national championship in three years as the team went 13-1 and he finished the season with 32 passing touchdowns and 23 rushing touchdowns.  He did, in fact, win the Heisman Trophy that year.

He went to Denver as a first round pick.  While with the Bronco’s in his second season, he inherited the starting job when the Bronco’s were 1-4 under Kyle Orton, and Tebow was given the team.  Tebow then proceeded to lead the Broncos to 7-4 and a wild card game.  Tebow struggled in the final three games of the season and after the three consecutive losses, Broncos vice president and former quarterback John Elway said Tebow was playing tentatively and needed to "pull the trigger."   However, at 8-8 they made the playoffs.

On January 8, Denver hosted the Pittsburgh Steelers during the first round of the NFL playoffs. Tebow threw for a career high 316 yards and two touchdowns, including an 80 yard TD to Demaryius Thomas on the first play of overtime, as the Broncos won 29–23.  Tebow completed 10 of 21 passes in the contest, setting the franchise record for quarterback rating in a playoff game (125.6) and an NFL record for yards per completion (31.6) in a playoff game.

Media sources noted Tebow's passing yards (316) and yards per completion (31.6) evoked the Bible's verse John 3:16. The Nielsen ratings for the game also peaked at 31.6. John 3:16 was the top search item on Google the next morning, followed by Tebow and Tim Tebow.  The following weekend, the Broncos were handed a 45–10 defeat by the New England Patriots, knocking them out of the playoffs.  After the season, Elway confirmed that Tebow would be the Broncos starting quarterback going into training camp in 2012.  And then…the Manning event happened.

Tebow was traded to the New York Jets amidst wild rumors of a wildcat offense built for Tebow’s aggressive run-pass play.  And yet, for some strange reason, Tebow was relegated to punt protection play on a New York Jets special team that frankly…stunk.  Tebow was never given the opportunity to shine (as he did in Denver AND in Florida with a Heisman Trophy quarterback performance) as a quarterback for the Jets.   Now, teams have been shying away from Tebow because some Jets organization insiders says “he doesn’t practice well”, “he looks average”, “he hasn’t adjusted to the NFL style of play.”

I beg to differ.  Tebow has done what was asked of him in every situation offered in the NFL.  He was asked to lead Denver as their quarterback, he did.  He was asked to win football games, he did.  He placed his team into the playoffs and only lost to the team that later represented the AFC in the Superbowl.  Um…sounds like a winner to me.

What seems to be at play here, from my perspective, is a discomfort from the NFL of Tim Tebow’s blatant Christian faith; a faith that even HE puts above his own football efforts.  A faith that has drawn fans to his side and, in my opinion, one of the main reasons for his success. 

But, the NFL only wants the sideshows that THEY control.  It baffles me why this young man with such immense faith AND talent is now something less than the Heisman Trophy winning QUARTERBACK he was only two years ago?  Come on NFL owners and GMs! 

This Tuesday, Jacksonville General Manager Caldwell says he can’t envision a “scenario in which he [Tebow] would be a Jacksonville Jaguar”.  With all due respect Mr. Caldwell, the scenario you should be envisioning is called WINNING football games with a guy who has done it every time he has started at quarterback.

Let’s call this what it really is…the NFL is collectively afraid to embrace someone who’s Christian faith will be first and foremost in his life.  The NFL is afraid to have one of their stars representing a wholesome Christian view to the world.  Wow, did I just write that?

With the NFL swimming in lawsuits, cheating scandals, payola, videotaping scandals, heaven forbid we have a role model who actually stands for something moral and pure! 

Some teams say they don’t want the “extensive press and attention” Tebow brings to a team.  Really?  Since when?  Last time I looked, every team is LOOKING for something to draw attention AND fans to the stadium.  What the NFL means is they don’t want the CHRISTIAN attention that Tebow might bring to a team.   They don’t want THEIR NFL team labeled as the CHRISTIAN’S football team.  Why not? 

For now, Tebow remains a Jet with little chance of playing as starting quarterback.  His time on the field becoming less and less and his opportunities to perform to the best of his abilities being squandered in punt coverage.  I am deeply ashamed of the NFL, the owners, and hope that over the off-season Tebow is respected by his peers and judged on his performance on the football field and NOT his religious convictions. 

1 Comment:
  • Deal or No Deal
    Tim Tebow has not had much of a chance to show his potential as an NFL quarterback. John Elway made it clear Tim was not needed at Denver in spite of the pleas from the fans. Coach Ryan had no use for Tim from day one when he arrived in New York. No one asked poor Rex his opinion first. Now it seems the newly installed front office of the Jacksonville Jaguars are heading down that same we don’t want Tebow Avenue. They must be financially blind if they can’t see Tim would not have to play as a starter to pack Everbank Stadium every home game, but the hometown hero should get a fair chance to at least try and prove his merit. The front office may not want Tim, but Jacksonville fans want him. Ever heard of appeasing the fans? How about it Shahid Kahn? Jacksonville will remember the decision to ignore Tim. Is this coming season going down in history as the fall of the Jaguars franchise in this great city or maybe I should be kinder and call it the year Tim Tebow sat and watched as lack of fan support claimed another NFL city? By the way Mister Kahn, half of the front office was looking for jobs when you hired them. I guess the saying is true after all; "You can't fix stupid."

Update: February 17, 2013
    "Deal or No Deal Tim Tebow has not had much of a chance to show his potential as an NFL quarterback. John Elway made it clear Tim was not needed at Denver in spite of the pleas from the fans. He received the same treatment from Coach Ryan. He had no use for Tim from day one when he arrived in New York. No one asked poor Rex his opinion first. Now it seems the newly installed front office of the Jacksonville Jaguars are heading down that same we don’t want Tebow Avenue. They must be financially blind if they can’t see Tim would not have to play as a starter to pack Everbank Stadium every home game, but the hometown hero should get a fair chance to at least try and prove his merit. This would be enough to cause the Pope to swear. The front office may not want Tim, but Jacksonville fans want him. Ever heard of appeasing the fans? How about it Shahid Kahn? Jacksonville will remember the decision to ignore Tim. Is this coming season going down in history as the fall of the Jaguars franchise in this great city or maybe I should be kinder and call it the year Tim Tebow sat on the bench and watched as lack of fan support claimed another NFL city? I'm an avid Jaguars fan and I can see the writing on the wall. By the way Mister Kahn, half of the front office was looking for jobs when you hired them. I guess the saying is true after all; "You can't fix stupid."

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.