April 30, 2013

2013 DRAFT GRADES

THERE is no way to say for certain at this point who did well, and who struck out in this years Draft. That determination can only accurately be made 4-5 years down the line; when everyone who was picked this year, is one their second contract, or asking me if I want fries with that.

But for those of us who follow such things, here's an early indicator of how everyone is thought to have done:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/29/2013-nfl-draft-grades/2120157/

I'm still waiting to see how NFL.com rates everything.

7 Comments:
  • So Andy Reid says the Chiefs didn't want Mat Barkley. Considering for 12 years Reid has been coy, deceptive, stubborn, and completely unwilling to provide any real information I can only conclude he was very much interested in Barkley.
  • All things considered, it was a good year for us.
  • Really only two picks I don't like n that's Barkley n Wolff. I'm going poyer can play some safety next to Phillips for us.
  • I don't get the TE, the QB.

Looking through Oregon's 2012 stats, what you don't see is lot of TE. I find it odd that we've loaded up at the position, and that it was both the first FA signing AND the second Draft pick.

Looking at those same numbers, you see that the Ducks 2nd and 5th leading rushers in both yardage AND attempts, were the starting and back-up QB's respectively.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205679319&DB_OEM_ID=500

I remember this sort of build up when Spurrier was installing his system in DC. He had a couple 'wowie zowie' games and we know how the rest went. I'm curious to see a new system, as this franchise has been running some version of the WCO since Ray Rhodes (nearly 20 years). But for me it's starting to feel like too many extra features are being added to a supe up a car that didn't run reliably in the first place. It feels like we have shiny whitewalls and no windshield.
  • Don't forget that Shurmur is also a west coast guy, and that Kelly's offense was predominately run first at Oregon. They took Ertz, because they needed to upgrade the position and to provide their quarterbacks with reliability in the TE safety valve. Let's be honest. Celek has peaked as a player, and many of those interceptions thrown by Vick and Foles skidded off his hands last season. In the current NFL the Tight End position is an instant mismatch. The Eagles with Celek have struggled in the Red Zone for some time now. Ertz is a big target, has solid hands, and he runs great routes. I think Eagles fans are going to very pleased with him.
  • I think this sums it up for me..

http://www.footballfortress.com/index.php/en/component/k2/item/164-2013-nfl-draft-grades-per-team
  • Across the board folks seem to think my teams did well.

NFL.com points out that the Raiders still have glaring holes, particularly the Defensive Line. I can only assume they mean in terms of a primary pass rusher, because we have linemen who play the run well. If we lack anything on the line, it's a guy who can DRAW a double, even if he can't BEAT one.

FA's are only about to get cheaper than they were in March. Guys will be looking to grab one of the few remaining seats on any roster as the streets begin to flood with vets who become post-Draft casualties.

Names like John Abraham and Dwight Freeney, may soon find themselves joined by names like Trent Cole, Antonio Smith, and don't be surprised if you see the name Justin Tuck hit the floor. (Seriously, check out the Giants roster. Serious numbers logjam coming up.)

I also think we could use a WR, but unless someone interesting gets dropped, I think the Raiders are going to have to use a toolbox guy to sharpen guys already on the roster. mind you we don't need to add a #1, just a guy who can give our 1 and 2 a breather and doesn't make opponents feel like they can disregard him and walk up a Safety into the box. Otherwise the run game gets clogged up and we become one dimensional. Have to keep all options available at all times.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

12 managers who are on the hot seat

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.