April 18, 2013

2013 DRAFT WISHLIST: FIRST EDITION.

Round 1 Pick 3: TRADE DOWN - I’d like to see us trade down with Cincinnati for picks 21 and 36; or with Minnesota for picks 23 and 52.

Round 1 Pick (21 or 23): (FS) ERIC REID – We lost Michael Huff and Matt Giordano, but we still have Tyvon Branch. Problem is, he can’t play both Safety spots at once and he’s better suited to playing the run than deep coverage anyway. Reid fits this bill to a “T”.

*Round 2 Pick (36 or 52): (DT) JONATHAN HANKINS – Not a dominant type on his own, but if paired with a some athleticism (which we have) at OLB on his side of the formation, you have the ability to make three okay-to-good players (DT-DE-OLB) look great on game day. This guy is a catalyst pick.

Round 3 Pick 66: (DE) LAVAR EDWARDS – You don’t get a lot of 280lb DE’s who can run with backs in the flat in addition to being solid pass rushers. He also plays both Ends and has even been slid inside on pass rushing downs. Speed and versatility? 3rd round picks have been gambled on less.

Round 4 Pick 100: (G) HUGH THORNTON – He’s a not so great Tackle, who will make a hell of a Guard. Seriously, this guy could be a steal due to the undervaluation of interior linemen these days.

Round 6 Pick 172: (CB) ROD SWEETING – A fast, physical defender with solid hands who gets his hands on balls. While we look to have a pair of starters already having a young’un to develop who comes in with good intangibles, is a great way to use a late round pick.

Round 6 Pick 176: (FS/CB) MICAH HYDE – Another physical DB for Special Teams and Dime package. Has started both at CB and FS.

Round 6 Pick 205: (WR) ACE SANDERS – Undersized but dangerous slot/return man. Having to drift a man out over him in 3-wide sets backed up by a power running scheme, would almost be unfair. A make you miss type, if you can get him behind an 8-man front, he could be a nightmare. I see him somewhere between an Ernest Givens and a Tony Jones (both former Oilers).

Round 7 Pick 209: (TE) MICHAEL WILLIAMS – A huge (278lb), physically overpowering run blocker who played at Alabama (so you know he faced solid competition). He doesn’t offer much as a receiver, but in a power based running scheme this is a sneaky good add in this spot.

Round 7 Pick 219: (RB) C.J. ANDERSON – Short, thick, and quick (5’8, 224, 4.53). Runs through contact and can even catch a little. Not a bad stocking stuffer if he’s still there at #219.

5 Comments:
  • HEY LOOK! Minnesota's looking to trade up!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000161603/article/minnesota-vikings-looking-to-trade-up-in-first-round

(Normally I would consider bumping one's own post to be self serving, and hell, even if this is, it was too rich to pass up.)
  • the first 3 picks are good. idk too much bout the rest of them or da raiders needs. would hate to see reid go there though.
  • Every player on the wishlist is guess from #1 on down. You really never know how college performance will translate to the pros. What I try to look for are complimentary pieces. Guy's whose individual game would work to make the guy next to him better. That way the guys trust each other, come to rely on each other and (when that becomes consistent), to like each other. It's real easy to play hard for and with a guy you like.

It's great to have a dynamic coach (Reid/Kelly), but opposing teams don't worry about facing a coach. I want a team that scares people again. Not just because they manage the cap so well, or the X's beat the O's, or some other small tactical detail that is excellent for the regular season but that isn't much of an edge in the playoffs because everyone there does all the little things too.

I want a team that tells you they're going to pummel you, then pummels you, then talks **** about having pummeled you.

The Raiders say they want an attacking defense. Everyone says that, but the Raiders are actually adding players to enhance the new tilt added to last years ground plan. On Offense they make no secret about the power scheme. They are telling every team on the schedule that the idea is to punch them square in the mouth.

It was easier to assemble this wishlist than it was for the Eagles. I know where this team is headed, because what they've done so far has been consistent with what they've said.
  • LOOK! San Fran may now be looking to move up to get Star Loutelelei. Wow huh?
  • They need to replace sop so not too big of a surprise. That would give them possibly a better line than last year, would be fun to watch, but I want him in eagles green next year.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

10 bold predictions for the 2014 college football season

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.