August 23, 2013

2013 ROSTER FORECAST

HERE’S my two cents on what I think the roster will look like. (In the end I do add a couple of “it’d be nice” players.)

Special Teams (3) (Dress 3)

K: (1) Alex Henery- He’s the only Kicker on the roster, so…

P: (1) Brad Wing- As far back as March 23rd I said we should take a look at this guy (http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/defensive_needs/13218910 ). To date (8/23/13) He has 8 punts, 4 in his last game with 2 FC, and 2 downed inside the 20. His competition hasn’t punted since the NE game.

LS: (1) Jon Dorenbos- This is a no-brainer. I would like James Winchester to stick around. Not only as a back-up LS, but as a ST/utility player.  Since he starred at WR in high school and spent time working earlier this year with our RT and our O-line coach, he (at 6’3 230) could flex out in Heavy packages and maybe give us a hybrid TE/WR player. It’s unlikely, but it would be nice.

Defense (22) (Dress 20)

DE: (2) Vinny Curry, Damion Square*- Curry has been a man on a mission this preseason Square has looked promising as well. They may keep a third guy here, but I’m thinking they’ll just load up on DT’s.

DT: (4) Fletcher Cox, Isaac Sopoaga, Cedric Thornton, Bennie Logan- When I see this group all I can think about is this as a 4-3 rotation. It should be a good starting point for a solid if not great 3-4 line.

OLB: (3) Trent Cole, Brandon Graham, Connor Barwin- There isn’t a genuine cover OLB on the roster so it remains to be seen how this will shake out by Week Five.

ILB: (5) DeMeco Ryans, Mychal Kendricks, Casey Matthews, Jamar Chaney, Jake Knott*- Yes five ILB’s. Kelly likes extra LB’s for ST purposes, and there is more schematic versatility among his ILB’s than his OLB’s.

S: (4) Nate Allen, Patrick Chung, Colt Anderson, Earl Wolff- I’m underwhelmed this year. Hopefully this group will surprise me.

CB: (4) Cary Williams, Bradley Fletcher, Brandon Boykin, Jordan Poyer- Again, not flashy but has all the earmarks of a solid NFL CB grouping.

Offense (26) (Dress 22)

QB: (3) Michael Vick, Nick Foles, Matt Barkley*- At least one of these guys won’t be here in 2014, but barring a Foles trade this is our depth chart for 2013. I can see us keeping Dennis Dixon as well, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

RB: (4) LeSean McCoy, Bryce Brown, Chris Polk*, Felix Jones- With Kelly’s stated interest in Special Teams, coupled with his interest in a fast paced attack, I can’t imagine him keeping fewer than 4 here.

TE: (4) Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, Clay Harbor*, James Casey- With the injuries at WR and a strong preseason so far, I think Harbor has made room for himself as a motion TE/SE player. While it’s doubtful that we keep a true FB, Casey has been that guy as he was more of an H-Back/Special Teamer in Houston. (He isn’t the toughest customer, but the loss of his second level blocking in Houston is no small factor in my shying away from Arian Foster in Fantasy this year.)

WR: (4) DeSean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Jason Avant, Damaris Johnson- I don’t want to discount Greg Salas, but if it becomes a numbers game and they only keep 4, Special Teams and schematic versatility will earn you a spot on pretty much any team, but with Kelly’s background that seems to go double for this team. Both Johnson and Salas give you a 5th WR, but Johnson also gives you a PR, and neither guy is a kick coverage ace.

OT: (4) Jason Peters, Lane Johnson, Dennis Kelly*, Allen Barbre-  Barbre has been more than holding his own keeping QB jerseys clean, and he’ll likely be on the game day list until Dennis Kelly is healthy. Michael Bamiro will probably end up on the PS, solely because “you can’t coach 6’8 340”. Whatever.

G: (3) Todd Herremans, Evan Watkins, Danny Watkins- I have no idea why we still have Watkins, and I still have my eye on Herremanns 

C: (2) Jason Kelce, Dallas Reynolds- If we keep Matt Tennant (Whovian inside joke) over Reynolds I won’t be surprised.

Now this is only 51 players with some likely to spend lots of time deactivated (*) on game day. This list would leave us with 2 players in wiggle room who would of course also spend time deactivated, but would be ours and could pitch in.

If I’m filling those last 2 spots the key for me would be Special Teamer mentality with schematic versatility. I’d keep James Winchester (LS/TE/SE), and Everette Brown (DE/LB). You get size, speed, strength, versatility, a receiver/blocker and a tackler. Not just that but having these guys allows you to plug them in so you can move around other, better athletes and create mismatches.

16 Comments:
  • Well Chaneys gone.
  • AND Brad Wing! I mean don't teams want a Punter who can pin opponents inside the 20??? How did his placement count for nothing???

I mean okay Chaney. He was a back-up you may consider things like money or whatever, but I don't get the Wing cut. I've been scratching my head head over it since I laid eyes on it and I'm no closer to a rational now.

According to the Eagles website, Donnie Jones has simply been marvelous in the preseason. While writing this and STILL researching it, I just came across this http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/10/4608626/film-breakdown-donnie-jones-for-mvp. Maybe this is what they mean by marvelous.

Update: August 26, 2013
    Sorry. I meant to type 'rationALE' not rational.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • The eagles does not have one big time big wide recve on roster,beside tight ends---all small wide outs,can not challenge down the field,they will have to prove me wrong,with roster. Sorry eagles fans---The front office,is at it again,losing record this season,the defense coordinator pick and offense coordinator cleveland browns NO WIN SITUATION---how did chip kelly get these guys,losing records,all those other coordinators out there---COME ON MAN!!!!
  • Jason Kelce is coming off injury and (right now) we have ZERO depth at Center.

I hope somebody releases somebody good.
  • One man's trash is sometimes another man's treasure. Sometimes one teams worst, is better than another's best. Like if we took a look at former Bear C/G Edwin Williams, or if the Raiders (desperately needing an edge rusher) got a look at ex-Eagle Everette Brown.

Sometimes help is relative.
  • They FINALLY manned up and got rid of Watkins!
  • Anybody watching the Clemson/Georgia game right now? Boyd looks good. Heisman frontrunner material good. I'm telling you. I think midnight green would be a good look for him.
  • I seen part of it. Dudes a beast
  • How is Jeff Maehl, Meahl, Meal(?) still here? I was under the impression that we would keep 4, and if we kept 5, the 5th guy HAD to be Greg Salas.

Career experience-wise it's not even close: SALAS. Preseason stat-wise: SALAS. Talent-wise (Speed, acrobatic catching, jump balls): SALAS. "Big guys beat-up little guys" size: SALAS.

The only thing Salas lacked was an Oregon "pedigree". Oops! Did I say that out loud?
  • The WR talent was slim to begin with. All of these guys were role players or special teamers. They lose Jackson or Avant and the season is over.
  • He cut too many of the wrong guys. I don't get it.
  • One can only hope it's reflexive of how he wants to run his team in relation to the systems he want's run. That of course is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

More likely he doesn't grasp just HOW much more talent is out there since we've played so many under-talented teams this preseason. He's under the impression that guys who were good enough in his college systems will work out here, and it just isn't so.

Give you a 'for instance': This preseason his Secondary never saw a receiving duo as talented as Pierre Garcon and Fred Davis. Hardly cream of the crop, right? So what happens when we see Dez Bryant/Jason Witten, or Demaryius Thomas/Decker/Welker, or Greg Jones/Randall Cobb, or Brandon Marshall/Martellus Bennett? I said MONTHS ago that he needed more help at Safety than we were adding. Our biggest Safety signing didn't even make the 75 man roster, for the very reason we all KNEW he wouldn't.

How much help will this team really get from a Jeff Maehl type? In what universe does an NFL team need a 184lb, career back-up WR who runs a 4.62, and in 3 years has caught ZERO passes, because he was buried behind guys like Kevin Walter on the depth chart? Kelly cut no fewer than THREE WR's who would have been better options.
  • Why the phuck is Coleman still on the team?

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.