December 01, 2013

7 WINS.

FINALLY!

A win that means something other than simply not losing. This was a game against a potential playoff team and one that has had our number for some time now. Now when the haters (i.e. Cowgirl fans, and Foreskin fans who're hurting over the fact that Bobby Griffin is playing more like Peter Griffin lately) open their mouths and say that all of our wins are against sub .500 squads we can point to this Cards game and say "Shut up" with some validity.

Granted, I'm not thrilled with how it seemed the EAGLES looked like they wanted to give this game away at the end, but this week I'll take the win. As deformed and ugly as this thing was, players (if we make the playoffs) now can look back and say they beat at least one winning team that was in playoff contention even if that team doesn't make it in the end.

It's a building block.

8 Comments:
  • It was nice to beat a playoff contender but chip needs to step it up after the half.

Did u ever see peter griffin play? Dudes a beast. I wish the eagles had him.
  • I think the only way for him to do better after the half is to either completely change his style or completely immerse himself in it.

He has to somehow manage to keep his foot on the accelerator without disregarding the NFL's gentleman's agreement not to run up the score. Notice how at the end of yesterday's game even though they were inside the 10, the EAGLES just took a knee? No attempt at a TD. No FG attempt. Just a gentleman's kneel down.

If he starts to run up scores, he's going to burn up any currency he has with other coaches at all levels of the NFL. You know how you hear about coaches calling each other for advice? If everyone he faces has hard feelings towards him, he'll have to be a genius just to stay in the league.

It's something fans can disregard and talk hardnosed about, but NFL coaches have repeatedly referred to coaching in the NFL as a fraternity. Fans can not care, but the coaches NEED that. For Kelly it's going to be one hell of a balancing act.
  • At that point they were able to just pick up a first and run the clock out. No one should be trying to score when they are winning and a knee down is all that's needed. But being up in the third is no reason to let off until the other team quits and every nfl coach knows that. That's not running up the score. That's winning the game.
  • So why do you think he lets up?

Let me state that clearer. What do think is his reason for letting up after the half?
  • I know that remark was a dig to me Flip and I respect that. The Beagles finally beat a team above .500%. I give credit where credit is due. You're one of the only true Beagle fans on here and one of two Beagle fans that actually live in the state of Pennsylvania. I always thought Foles could be a starter in the NFl. Sleazy Beagles was the one who bashed Foles last year and right into this year along with Trolltilldeath. He has the tools to succeed at a higher level. This is no semi pro player.
  • So who's the other one that lives in pa?
  • It honestly wasn't a dig at anybody. I stopped talking to two "fans" on here because all they want to do is fight. I extended an olive branch to one of them this week, and he went right back to the attacks. I have no desire for this thing.

I have had friendly discussions with Cowboy and Giant fans on here and though we root for different teams for a quarter of the calendar, I have no intention of warring with a fellow human being just because they happen to like a different team in the same sport, in a country where we are all Americans.

Trash talking over THE SPORT should be relegated to just that. Taking it beyond those confines just makes all of us seem small. If most NFL players could see us behaving so poorly they wouldn't think poorly of just one side, they would think poorly of both.
  • Well said Flip.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

MLB players who still might be traded in August

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Pacquiao likely to retire in 2016

Can Vince McMahon save TNA and WWE?

WATCH: TV station airs unfortunate Ray Rice blooper

Johnson suspended for cocaine use

College football's best coordinator duos

Best fantasy options at every position

Bosh: I was close to leaving Miami

Goodell defends Ray Rice punishment

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Tigers acquire David Price in blockbuster

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.