January 06, 2014

A FINE YOUNG CANNIBAL

GOOD thing, where have you gone?

Show of hands: Who here thinks DJax deserves the new contract he's asking for? (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000309914/article/desean-jackson-i-deserve-a-new-contract-from-eagles)

YEAH! He wants a new deal again. ALREADY!

What? You thought we were done with this until 2017? Silly me, so did I.

The last time our favorite one trick pony pulled this Riley Cooper was largely unproven (To everyone but ME) and the offense was a primarily geared towards the pass. With the shift to a more run-based approach I wonder if DJax might try to sulk his way to a big payday again. Especially since he's seenit work for him already.

One problem with that. Jackson was a favorite of Andy Reid's. It remains to be seen if Chip Kelly likes him even half as much. That and the fact that Andy was already in the habit of coddling immature boys. There is no indicator that Kelly has any such inclination. So if Djax digs his heels in, this thing could get protracted and ugly. 

11 Comments:
  • I've always been a Djax fan but gotta admit he comes up small way too much in big games. In his last three playoff games he has 8 rec, 114 yds, 1 td. I'd like to see us sign Maclin to a one year deal (can't see any other teams risking more with his injury history) then trading Djax. Teams with personalities like Djax don't win championships. He's 27 and won't have anything else to offer once he starts losing some speed.
  • By the way, Maclin has played in two playoff games and has 10 rec, 219 yds, 1 td.
  • This would be a GREAT time for Kelly to send the message:

"YOU WANT TO HANDLE THIS IN THE MEDIA? FINE. WE'LL DISCUSS YOUR DEAL IN 2017. DON'T ASK ABOUT IT AGAIN."

DJax had no business coming out with THIS, NOW. Not after the game he WATCHED Sunday. You want top dollar and you can't shake a 3rd round pick? Some dude the Steelers let walk?! FOH! Then to take this to the press?!!

Kelly needs to pull a Birdflipper and instead of ducking this challenge, hit it head on, and let DJax know "Next you come at me, you come at me like a MAN."
  • i dont think the Eagles should go public with anything and let it simmer down. The eagles have always paid dearly for playing hardball and we dont need any distractions and we do need Jackson. We arent the gold standard and hopefully we left the bully tactics behind us.
  • This is some bs. Desean had the best sit in the house Saturday night watching the eagles play. What he have two catches? His dumbass is gonna mess up a good thing. Kelly needs to nip this in the bud.

Gotta add in that according to eaglescap.com desean is the highest paid player on the team this coming year
  • Yep. That's why (like you) I think this has to get fixed before they start to shed and sign FA players. Kelly has made too much progress garnering respect as more than a gimmick purveyor. He CANNOT be seen as rolling over on this issue, otherwise it'll look like the inmates run the asylum, and Kelly's control over his roster will be cut in half at best.
  • You guys all know I've said it many times....Jackson is a classless punk. It doesn't surprise me that he's pulling this crap so soon after signing a new deal.
  • Now he says he didn't ask for a new contract, that a reporter brought up the subject.

Okay. Just one thing though.

What is this "something" that he hopes can "get worked out smoothly"? When I saw Howie Roseman on CSN he seemed less than happy that this was even a subject; so it's my doubt that the Eagles OFFERED him more money out of the blue. The only other way that anything could "get worked out" would be for Jackson to have asked (or be about to ask), for a new deal.

Jus' saying is all.
  • What I heard on 97.5 was that he was baited into the answer and then his answer was twisted. He now claims all he wants is more guaranteed money. Not a higher salary just more guaranteed. Hell who wouldn't? From what I heard was after this year his contract is guaranteed and he can just be cut without getting paid and he just wants security. Regardless of how much money he's set to make this year or in the future I can't blame a guy for wanting financial security.

Now if he was taking the TO route n crying that he has to feed his family so he needs to make more money I'd be pissed but just wanting to know u have money coming in, whatever. That's not a big deal. Personally I'd handle it differently and if I was him I'd be telling my agent not the media. I'd also be telling him to get me more endorsements even if it's as calvin Johnson's side kick.
  • He wasn't "baited", he was asked (you can find the video online and see it for yourself). As far as being financially secure, the guy is about to make more money next year than most people will in a lifetime. Something tells me that 10 mil (more like 6 after taxes and fees) will see him through just fine.

In fact, if he were to take just 2 mil of it and invest in a standard savings account at 5% per anmum, he'd see a pre-tax return of $100,000 per year for doing nothing besides not touching that money. Minus 35% for taxes, he'd have $65,000 annually to live off of even if all he did was sit in his undies and eat cereal from a Tupperware bowl everyday. Add to that post-career endorsements, and something tells me he'd be good. That's how I felt about T.O. as well. (BTW: Did you see his Hardee's commercial hawking the Philly cheesestaek burger? My guess is T.O.'s "family" is eating just fine.)

While I can't blame anybody for wanting more money, I CAN say it was in extremely poor taste for him to go into that after the display he put on in a playoff game. A simple "No comment", a FOH, or a witty "Who wouldn't like more money?" would have all shown more maturity.
  • Like I said, he's a classless punk. Watch him throw the team, coaches and fans under the bus if the eagles end up moving him.

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

2013 NFL rookies who could breakout in 2014

Grading college basketball's first-year coaches

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.