April 27, 2013

ahwww lets get ready to awwrumble.....

I think it’s high time, most learn about this?? Leave a reply

what is a school? a university/college?
Its for learning and getting an ED   YOU   CATION….

How much money did Matt Barkley lose by staying in school?

Posted by Laces Out Crew on April 27th, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Less than a year ago, Matt Barkley said if he would have forgone his collegiate eligibility and entered the 2012 NFL Draft he would have been drafted before Robert Griffin III. That statement may seem crazy after the USC passer slipped into the fourth round and was selected by the Eagles No. 98 overall, but wasn’t too far off base back then.

Remember, Barkley was coming off a legendary run. He led USC to a 38-35 win over Oregon and a cross-town thrashing of rival UCLA 50-0. USC was unable to play in a bowl game because of sanctions.

Griffin, on the other hand, won the Heisman, but questions about his durability and size had scouts timid. He ended up getting drafted No. 2 overall by the Washington Redskins and signed a four-year deal worth $21 million in 2012.

Barkley decided to stay at USC because the team had “some serious unfinished business” to tend to. Frankly, the season was a mess. The Trojans went 7-6. Barkley got hurt. And USC lost to Georgia Tech in the SUN BOWL.

So, just how much money did Barkley lose by staying one more season? Let’s take a look at some numbers from the 2012 NFL Draft.
•No. 1 pick: Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts: Four-year deal worth $22.1 million
• No. 2 pick: Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins: Four-year deal worth $21.1 million
• No. 8 pick: Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins: Four-year deal worth $12.7 million
• No. 22 pick: Brandon Weeden, Cleveland Browns: Four-year deal worth $8.1 million
• No. 98 pick (Where Barkley was drafted in 2013): Gino Gradkowski, Baltimore Ravens: Four-year deal worth $2.6 million

Barkley is slated to receive a four-year deal in the $2.5-million range. His agent, Tom Condon, has some flexibility to negotiate, but not much.

In 2012, the first-round quarterbacks roughly averaged a four-year deal worth $16 million. We’ll never know exactly where Barkley would’ve been selected in 2012, but we do know that he missed out on a chance to break the bank.

The new rookie deals, which were collectively bargained, are fully guaranteed, but the player isn’t allowed to renegotiate the pact before it expires. Barkley could be missing out on some peak earning years.

Hey! Fun Fact here: Matt Barkley was taken with the 98th pick by the Philadelphia Eagles. Do you know who else was drafted with the 98th  pick and is from Philadelphia? None other 2002 NFL MVP Rich Gannon. Niiiiice.

Now lets hear from our armchair wannbe coaches in philly???

29 Comments:
  • I think it was a solid pick. It will create a good QB competition next year with Foles and Barkley. It gives vick a season to pony up. If barkley can elevate his game to the next level and recover adequately form his injury he may be a nice find. He could also end up like Colt mcCoy. But, considering he was rated the 2nd best QB in the draft and was a top three pick last year he could bea high reward pick. i thjink he looks like a quicker version of Nick Foles. He seems to be very precise with his passes and has a much quicker delivery. I would compare him to Kitna or someone like that. You may snicker at that name but he had a very long solid career.
  • No I think givin no bumps hes a great QB
  • It's all about the second contract. This could be a blessing in disguise for Matt and the Eagles. Now he has a Chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove all the naysayers wrong. He's going to work his tail off trying to, This kid could be the next Tom Brady. Well I hope so anyways.
  • I think we have used that line enough.
  • What line? Tom Brady or Chip on his shoulder? In any case I have HOPE, and there is a difference between HOPING he is and TELLING you he is. Just remember I am HOPING that Barkley (a rookie) turns into an elite while you are HOPING Vick (a thirty something constantly breaking down player) channels the one good season he's ever had in his entire career. Tell me which is better in the long run for the Eagles?
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Tom Brady is a whiney b*tch. If he took the punishemnt that Vick took last year he would be screaming bloddy murder. Gutless wussy.
  • Three rings and five superbowls. I'll take it.
  • everyone they probably cheated. would you take that?
  • If you aren't cheating then you aren't trying.
  • "a chip on his shoulder" great tag line.
  • If the history of USC QB's count for anything Barkley won't be very good at all. A USC runningback I would say great pick, but I wouldn't draft a USC QB under any circumstances. Just look at how many have bombed in the NFL. Maybe Barkley breaks the mold, but he is not very fast, strong or extremely athletic. If the eagles can't give him enough time to throw the NFL will chew him up and spit him out.
  • that pretty much holds true for any QB in the league
  • Agreed, but it just seems the league has been littered through the years with supposed 'Can't Miss Prospects' from USC. I just don't trust a QB pick from that's school. Now a RB from USC is a different story.
  • I wish they had decided to fire Reid two years ago before the 2012 draft. That way we would have drafted for value and not need and maybe drafted Russell Wilson in the late 2nd round instead of Vinny Curry.

The Eagles won't become competitive until they can find a QB.
  • Reid really balled things up but I think the offense can carry this team. Im banking on Vick returning to good from and the eagles competing. I dont have the patience for some manufactured QB drama. That wont sell tickets. After a few screw ups the fans will be booing their lungs out. There is no time like the present for winning. We dont need some long indoctrination. We have paid our dues now deliver.
  • You're betting Vick returns to about 8 games of solid football despite the fact he has over ten seasons to the contrary. That's a bed bet my friend.
  • You may be right. But one fact remains, the management is responsible for the product on that field. I dont owe them any passes. I dont have to give them time to get their act together. Give me a reason I should. They made a coaching change because they sucked. People arent paying to see a QB drama unfold. Thats not interesting. Thats a waste of time. Hows that a formula for winning. Its promo to sell tickets. And its a shlockey way to go about building a solid franchise. To create a furor before the season even starts does nothing to settle this team into rythm. It a joke. Vick will emerge but be yanked at the first sign of trouble. and then it will be a couple of seasons on the QB carousel. Ive seen it here in Balto before Trent Dilfer and it was a disaster for years. And Dilfer got bailed out. If they have any sense they will name Vick the starter and try to get back to respectability quickly otherwise Im afraid its gonna be torture to watch for years to come.
  • Respectability and Vick shouldn't be in the same sentence.
  • they should have thought about that before getting rid of McNabb
  • What does McNabb have to do with it? They were right to get rid of McNabb considering the guy was out of the league and benched twice since they let him go.
  • They may have had the ying and yang thing going but I think McNabb was an extremely talented QB out of college. His first five years would have been a no miss for a Parcells or Coughlin. He hard garbage receivers and an owner unwilling to part with a few bucks to get them a few bowls. You have to have good receivers to win a superbowl right?
  • I cant wait for the season to see how Chip does? and the team???
  • Neither can I, cause their gonna take their lumps AGAIN!!
  • and frankly I recall coach Kelly could give a rats rear end what the fans say or the media
  • If they lose it wont matter if its chip or anyone. He will get boo birds if he loses. No one rebuilds in the NFL anymore. You add or subtract talent each year and thats the scoreboard.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Castillo 'likely' to debut Wednesday

Nike pulls Peterson merchandise

Stanton posts pic of horrific injury

WATCH: Kemp, Puig argue in dugout

Minnesota governor: Suspend Peterson

Tim Duncan to appear in ‘Punisher’ comic

10 takeaways from NFL Week 2

Broncos fans really dislike Phil Simms

Chris Davis helps flip truck on highway

How long will Dennis Allen last?

Papelbon gets seven-game suspension

WATCH: Student has incredible dunk fail

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.