April 11, 2013

ANOTHER SMART MOVE.

DION Lewis was traded to the Browns for Emmanuel Acho.

See THIS is the kind of thing I'm TALKING ABOUT!!!

We couldn't use Lewis, but instead of giving him up for nothing, we got a player who can fill that ILB role in the 3-4 along with DeMeco Ryans and allow Mychal Kendricks to play one OLB role while Connor Barwin plays the other.

See THIS is a TRADE!

16 Comments:
  • Yea we weren't gonna really use Lewis but he is a decent back, and wasn't a guy we needed to cut. Glad to see the move.
  • Compared to move they made for Geathers this was a much better deal.
  • Havili was expendable after Casey was brought in. Geathers was a nice addition when you think about the team switching to more of a 3-4. He's a big guy who might fill out the DE spot opposite Cox. I'm not saying he's starter quality but at least we've got a body we can use where Havili was clearly didn't fit in Kelly's plans.
  • Geathers is a body, but he's also been an underachiever. I think they could have done better by recouping a pick instead of Geathers. In any case neither of these backs were in Kelly's plans and they are now gone because of it for a few more defensive parts. Getting something for nothing is better than nothing.
  • Which is NOT something they were doing before the Raiders showed them how with the Palmer trade.

This is what I was talking about!
  • Nnamdi was due $15 million, Jenkins $5.5 million,The only other guys we cut were Mike Patterson ($3 mill), Demetress Bell ($9.5 mill), and Mat McBriar. All i could find on McBriar was that he was due a $50,000 roster bonus, but I think his release was more performance based (do punters even get traded tho? seriously I'm curious?)

After they hit the open market Nnamdi can make a max of $3mill this year, Jenkins got 3years/8mill (3.15 mill guaranteed + 2 mill signing bonus), Patterson isn't even making $1 million. Bell and McBriar have yet to be touched.

The Eagles have moved everyone they could and gotten something in return. With these guys it was simply a numbers game. They weren't worth the contracts they were under so no one wanted to pick up their tab. Teams waited for their release and got em on the cheap. Anyway, here's some links that show the numbers on their old and new deals. Hope this puts the thing to bed finally.

Bell:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/eagles-dump-demetress-bell/
    Jenkins:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145114/article/cullen-jenkins-mike-patterson-released-by-eagles
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/cullen-jenkins-giants-deal-three-years-new-york_n_2850898.html
    Nnamdi:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044400/philadelphia-eagles-release-corner-nnamdi-asomugha
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/04/02/nnamdi-asomugha-signs-free-agent-deal-with-ers/mnYIUXTTuPLjo9NB92rHAO/story.html
    Patterson:
    http://www.comcastsportsnet.com/landing?blockID=832807&feedID=8510
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/mike-patterson/
    McBriar:
    http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/03/25/eagles-release-mat-mcbriar-sign-p-donnie-jones/
  • Are you actually comparing the Raiders trading away their starting quarterback. A guy they gave up a first and second for to the Eagles trading away a 4th string running back for a guy who didn't even play last season????? Are you actually implying the Eagles made this move because of the Raiders???
  • walterfootball.com gave the Palmer trade an A...for the Cardinals and a C for the Raiders. He also gave the Seahawks an A for the trade of Flynn and a C+ to the Raiders (on the other hand he gave the trades the Eagles made a B and a B-. He actually consistently grades out the Raiders
    moves during free agency as a C
    although he did hand them a couple
    Bs here and there and an A for
    their hiring of Greg Olson.
    His grades for the Eagles are widespread but the feeling I got when looking at them was overall he would give the Eagles a B or a B- with their off season moves so far. Interestingly enough he gave the Eagles an A for letting go of Reid and an F for bringing back Vick but although I check his site out the one thing I don't like about him is that he seems to be extremely biased and he certainly doesn't seem to like Reid or Vick...especially Vick.
  • I think if you view Vick like everyone seems to as a guy who will simply be handed the job by Chip Kelly then I certainly see why people would grade bringing back Vick as an F, but if you view as a sense of competition for Vick, Foles, Dixon and a possible future guy then the Vick move in ingenious. Regardless of who wins the job they are going to have to earn it. If it's Foles that means he had to beat out an incumbent who has the majority of the locker room. That would be one heck of a move by Foles. If there is no Vick then Foles doesn't earn the job like Kolb didn't have to earn it. The same goes for Vick. Vick now sees he can't allow all of his outside distractions get in the way. If he does then he will find himself siting on the bench. This is win win for the Eagles.
  • I'll never think bringing back Vick was ingenious unless he lights the world on fire all year this year on his way to eventually taking the Eagles back to the playoffs...we both know that isn't going to hyappen. If Vick is just a bridge in a building year I honestly would prefer seeing one of the young QBs getting the reps.
  • Well Vick has lit the world on fire before, and he also has shown flashes in the past. That is kind of my point though. Vick and the others have to show an excellence they have never shown before. they have to maintain that excellence as well. Just because come September a starter is chosen doesn't mean he can slack off. Players will have to stay vigilant and work their tails off. Mike Vick can't be the old Mike Vick and ASSume things will just fall his way.
  • And now the Raiders have added a between the tackles thumper in Rashad Jennings. He's not a star type talent, but he can get you hard yards and even get to the outside and make teams pay for not loading the box.

He had some early success, but crashed and burned with the rest of the Jags offense last year. I'm glad we got him.

Not sure about the idea that we may sign Vince Young, but it could work. Young was never a fit for the WCO we ran here, but with the Raiders looking at guys like Seneca Wallace, and VY, you HAVE TO wonder just how much of a shot Matt Flynn really will have, since the Raiders seem to be trying to find a back-up with Terrelle Pryor's skillset as opposed to Flynn's.

It almost seems like the Raiders are trying to stock up on mobile QB's. Wonder why that is....
  • I first saw reports that the Eagles were discussing moving Lewis right around when you were complaining the Eagles were getting nothing for their players (even though the Raiders were also getting nothing for MOST of their players they were letting go). I even mentioned it in one of my posts but since it wasn't directed at you I'm sure you missed it. Seems to be exactly what the Eagles looked for with some of their free agent pick ups. An injured player who's former team was willing to give up on. Linebacker depth is much needed so this is another no brainer since they gave up a player who obviously had no future here for an unknown so far. I'm not sure about a 6th rounder who has never played in an NFL game starting but nice enthusiasm anyway.
  • Here you go again. Very little actual information nestled inside more catty, panty wringing.

And you're correct. I DID ignore whatever it was you wrote whenever. However, since I did it, (and will keep doing it) on purpose, I doubt you could really say I "missed" it.
  • not to excited. its not like hes a bonafide starter. its better than having lewis, but acho also never played a game in the nfl n was a late round pick. im not gonna go crazy over it like some people would over small moves that end up meaning nothing.
  • Like with the Raiders, it's less WHAT we got that excites me, than it is THAT we got. Dion Lewis isn't much as a KR, but the guy can play RB at this level. Better we get something for that talent, than just let it walk for free.

I'm excited at the efficiency of economizing our resources, and that we aren't leaking talent like we've done in recent years and even going back as far as the mass defections that began snowballing after the 1993 season.

The Eagles aren't just giving away talent anymore! (Although I DO wish we had held onto Ryan Rau.)
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Bills sign Kyle Orton

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186 MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.