March 14, 2013

Any Thoughts from the gang?

NFL free agency Day 2 winners, losers Peter Schrager Share This Story Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager is the Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com and the national sports correspondent for FOX News Channel's "FOX Report Weekend." He's the co-author of Victor Cruz's New York Times' best-selling memoir "Out of the Blue" and lives in New York. Feel free to e-mail him at peterschrager@gmail.com or follow him on Twitter.

MORE>> Updated Mar 14, 2013 11:09 AM ET

On Day 2 of the 2013 NFL free-agent signing period, the news slowed down considerably. If the big money was flowing like a babbling brook on Day 1, it was dribbling like a half-turned faucet on Wednesday.

The warts of the collective-bargaining agreement signed in 2011 showed themselves on Wednesday as veteran players — guys everyone just sort of expected would get big deals — sat around and waited. Some teams were active on Day 2, but not many.

FREE FOR ALL Now that NFL free agency is open, who is signing where? Find out in our updating blog.

Here’s the Buzz Meter’s three winners and three losers from Day 2.

RIGHT DIRECTION

1. Denver Broncos Getting Wes Welker for two years, $12 million was an absolute coup. Welker is the Rolls Royce of NFL slot receivers — the best to ever play the position — and the Broncos snagged him for a very cost-efficient price. Welker hasn’t missed a game the past two seasons and has more catches over the past five years than any player in the NFL. He joins a loaded receiving corps that already includes young stars Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker.

In addition to Welker, the Broncos scooped up veteran defenders Terrence “Pot Roast” Knighton and Stewart Bradley. They re-signed productive defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson, as well. The Broncos finished the day with a late-night signing of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, a capable starting cornerback. Good times up in Denver.

2. Seattle Seahawks Seattle made a big splash on Monday, trading for Percy Harvin a day before the start of free agency. I like what they did on Wednesday even more.

Up Next 0 Schrager: NFL veterans released Peter Schrager on the NFL veterans released to clear cap space. Share   Schrager: NFL veterans released

Peter Schrager on the NFL veterans released to clear cap space.

Date 3/13/13,Duration 1:38,Views 922

Video by: FOX Sports NFL News

Seattle inked defensive end Cliff Avril, the top free agent on my Top 50 list this year, to a two-year, $15 million contract. Avril’s skills put him in perfect position to excel in Pete Carroll’s Seahawks defense as their “Leo” pass rushing defensive end. Several teams have added pieces in the past few days. No team has added two pieces that immediately upgrade both sides of the ball quite like the Seahawks have with Harvin and Avril.

The latter has recorded at least eight sacks in each of the past three years. Put him in that Seattle system and those numbers should go up.

3. Detroit Lions Detroit inked deals with running back Reggie Bush and Glover Quin, immediate upgrades to the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Bush had arguably his two best years as a pro the past two seasons in Miami and will be used out of the backfield both as a running back and receiver in Scott Linehan’s offense.

Quin, though not the biggest name on the free-agent market, might be the most promising. In a defensive backfield loaded with talent in Houston, Quin had the best season of all. He’ll play the safety spot and help offset the loss of Louis Delmas, who appears headed elsewhere. The Lions had an awful season in 2012, just one year after a trip to the playoffs in 2011. They’re headed in the right direction with these two additions and still have the fifth overall pick in April’s NFL Draft.

WRONG DIRECTION

1. New York Jets — Another day gone, another day squandered for the Jets. There’s been no movement on the Darrelle Revis front, meaning the rest of the team’s roster remains stagnant. New York GM John Idzik spent the day at Alabama’s Pro Day, while the rest of the organization remained quiet.

Up Next 0 Marvez: Wes is more Alex Marvez give his thoughts on Wes Welker's move to Denver and Danny Amendola's arrival in New England. Share   Marvez: Wes is more

Alex Marvez give his thoughts on Wes Welker's move to Denver and Danny Amendola's arrival in New England.

Date 11 hrs ago,Duration 1:59,Views 5463

Video by: FOX Sports NFL News

Free-agent receiver Brandon Gibson visisted the Jets facilities, but no deal was made. We’re now two days into free agency and the biggest deal the Jets have made is signing David Garrard, a 35-year-old journeyman quarterback who hasn’t thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2010.

2. San Diego Chargers — While the Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and even the Oakland Raiders have spent the last two days making moves, the Chargers have been utterly silent. San Diego re-signed cornerback Richard Goodman, but there’s been no major additions to either the offensive line or the linebacker corps, areas of need for the 'Bolts.

They’re waiting things out while their division opponents are upgrading their rosters. Though the patience is commendable — they’re certainly not overpaying for anyone — they may be missing the boat on players who could help lessen the gap between them and Denver.

3. Veteran pass rushers — The list of veteran defensive ends and linebackers who haven’t been signed to deals yet is pretty much endless. Prior to the start of the free-agent signing period, it was all but assumed that big names such as Osi Umenyiora, John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Connor Barwin, Michael Bennett, Richard Seymour, Israel Idonije and Lawrence Jackson would be scooped up and signed to deals once the free-agent signing window was opened. Think again.

NFL calendar CIRCLE THE DATE Now that the NFL's 2013 calendar year has begun, here's what fans have to look forward to.

Teams are waiting it out, diligently, and are by no means rushing to the altar to sign veteran pass rushers. Cliff Avril, the top free agent on my Top 50 list, was signed to a less than earth-shattering 2-year, $15 million deal on Wednesday. This has to strike fear in the players on this list (and their agents), as none of these players will likely fetch the same amount of money from a suitor.

The marketplace is interesting this year, and in the case of veteran pass rushers — the supply apparently far outweighs the demand.

6 Comments:
  • My thoughts are the teams who usually win free agency lose on Sundays.
  • you got that right!
  • No doubt Revis is gonna be gone from the jests. The one they really should have gotten rid of was not even a player. They should have canned that moron headcoach rex ryan.
  • hes a head coach??? could have fooled me....
    when the jets win??? they are praised ,lose? and lets not go there!!!
  • I hear that Kelly, in fact recently ryan addressed the situation involving the trade rumors where Darrell Revis is concerned. He made his comment during Day 1 of the NFL Combine. Once again he showed what a monumental idiot he is with his response to the questions about the Revis trade rumors. Below is an excerpt from Ryan's comment in an article by sports writer Peter Schrager of FoxSports.com. If someone wanted Revis on their fantasy team and therefore started this rumor as Rex is saying...WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER IF HE IS A JET OR PLAYING FOR SOMEONE ELSE? It's a fantasy league, you draft players from all over the NFL if you have a fantasy team, it doesn't matter who they're playing for.

My God, I actually kind of feel kind of sorry for Jets fans, and that's saying alot consdidering I'm a long time Giants fan. This just continues to prove what a poor choice this clown is for a head coaching job. There are only 32 head coaching slots in the NFL, ON THE PLANET!!!! And yet somehow the Jets brass thinks this fool is the answer to making the team a contender. They only succeeded the first two seasons under ryan because he inherited a pretty good team from top to bottom...they are a shell of those teams now and Ryan is an anchor that is quickly pulling this organization down. But wait!!??#$%!!....I'm a Giants fan...so actually this is OK with me, keep up the good work Rex. Oh by the way Rex, the mechanic called, your 'Clown Car' is due for an oil change.

Read Rex's eloquent, (snicker), quote below:
    “Plain and simple, it’s not accurate. I told Darrelle that. If he was to be involved in a trade, I think he and his agents would know about it. As would the general manager and myself. I don’t know where things like that get drummed up from. Maybe someone was a big fan of fantasy football and would like to have him on his team." -Rex Ryan

DUUUUHHHHH!!!!!!!! Really Rex....really...so let me get this straight. If a guy wants Revis on HIS fantasy team, the jets would have to trade him to this persons favorite team in order to then have Revis on HIS fantasy team.?!?!?! See what I mean, this guy has the reins of an NFL franchise and is capable of a moronic statement like that, it's mind boggling.
  • im still shocked Ryan is still coach??

Evaluating the future stars of the WWE

If sports fans made honest signs...

MLB hitters to start worrying about

10 must-see NFL games in 2014

Gallery: The best of Blair O'Neal

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.