July 25, 2013

BIRDS COMING HOME TO ROOST

BACK in February I wrote:

I originally said the same thing when they were using Vick as bait to get Kelly here. Now that Kelly is here, Lurie (not getting any younger) is probably expecting him to be at least competitive. If that's the case then Kelly needs results and has to go with who he thinks can get them for him. 

Thing is, he has to install a system while getting those results, so a rookie QB trying to learn the NFL and a new system, is more than likely going to net him worse than 4-12. Keep in mind they also have to install a defense.

People keep negating the idea that Kelly is under pressure to produce. They keep acting like because they're willing to give him free pass this year, that Lurie feels the same about giving him 6 million dollar pass. 

Fans may be feeling generous out of joy that Andy Reid is gone, but Lurie probably feels a lot different because he fired his friend. Kelly is here to do a job. If a friend can be canned, you better believe a stranger can.

by Birdflipper   February 22, 2013  

Later on July 12th, Chip Kelly himself would later confirm my statement, and silence any talk of tanking the 2013 season when he said: “My job is to win right now,”.  http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2013/07/12/sports/doc51df3ba07ae9b429809360.txt

Any team that goes 4-12 AND fires it's coach has to be rebuilt. That's obvious and generally the case. If the old program was so hot it wouldn't have been 4-12 with a fired coach. Usually. So what does it mean when the new coach is using the fired coach's blueprint? 

While it's a fact that Andy Reid returned 8 of 11 of Ray Rhodes Offensive starters to the field, Reid also brought with him an innovative system AND he drafted a franchise QB to run that system. Kelly follows these numbers, but regardless of which QB he picks to run his system, none of them are franchise material. Then again Kelly's system is also not QB driven. A fact repeatedly lost on those focused on that one position. 

But more on THAT, later.

Oh, one more thing: http://cat-bounce.com/ (You're welcome.)

2 Comments:
  • You are right about Lurie. He is rapidly losing momentum. He cannot afford years of rebuilding. His ownership will be questioned with a failure here. The house of cards could come tumbling down.
  • I can't agree with any of that.

1)This franchise currently has no momentum, 2)Lurie could rebuild if he wanted to, he just doesn't want to wait, 3)There is no one who can legitimately question his (and Christina's) ownership, 4)We went 4-12 and fired the greatest coach in the franchises history. The tumbling is done.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.