January 07, 2013

Blame Vick. Pretty lame. Oh how convenient!

I hate to say it but it looks like business as usual with our executive team.  They drag Vick through the mud, bench him for a rookie, make cklear by their actions that he is no longer wanted , then claim its his inflexibility that lost the Eagles the opportunity for Chip Kelly.  Really?  Is that how we are going to due business.  The Eagles paved the road now they have to figure out how to get the cars on it.  I mean I thought Vick would be used but this is what I would term as a cheezy display.  First you have your three top executives(one the owner) jetting around interviewing.  I havent ever seen an owner do that.  I may be wrong but appears desperate.  And in true Eagle form they are getting the press results they like which is that they are in the hunt for the so called best.  Not unusual since we have seen the Eagles associated with every big name that comes down the road.   Now I said they would use Vick as a bargaining chip but I never imagined that his salary would somehow play into the direct negotiation.  Thats pitiful.  I mean if Im a potential candidate Im saying to myself is this the type of methods this front office uses to cut deals.  Its downright shameful.  Thye have no class and to think Lurie is considered the priveledged class its embarrassing.  They are deterring the best candidates with these childish displays,  I hope theyve learned that they cant operate like they did in the later Reid years or it will be futile.  The best Eagle era was the Donovan era its time he gets his due.  

27 Comments:
  • Mike Vick played worse than every rookie quarterback who played this season, but was one of the highest paid players in football last season. He's set to make 15.5 million next season and refuses to restructure his deal. Mike Vick doesn't want to be an Eagle so as far as I'm concerned he can hit the bricks.
  • I understand how you feel except apparently the Eagles think he has value by trying to secure a coach by using Vick. So why are you blaming Vick? Why dont you surrender your pay EZ?
  • Do you pay someone in your business top dollar for doing substandard work? It's just business and frankly you are taking it more personally than Vick would.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Hes so worthless that the Eagle failure to sign Chip kelly relied on Vick reducing his salary? They drag him through the mud, nearly get him injured permanently and hes supposed to say "yes master". Eagles ned to do business in a new manner. Reids gone and hopefully so are the dirty vindictive tricks. But this isnt a good sign.
  • Why do you try to twist every move the Eagles make into something negative? If they were using Vick as a possible bargaining tool they are at least giving him a shot at being their starter. He doesn't deserve it in my opinion and he certainly doesn't deserve that 16 million dollar contract he is owed next year. That is more than ANY QB this year not named Peyton Manning. AT 13.9 million this year he was 4th highest paid QB. You're clueless if you think the Eagles should honor that contract. It just isn't going to happen and it shouldn't.
  • Clueless. Really. Its probably unprecedented that an owner used as a tool a players salary reduction to entice a coach to join their team. Either you want that coach or not. name a place where a player took a cut for a coach. I thought so. BAD BUSINESS
  • We have no idea what the Eagles did while interviewing Kelly. Besides, hollywood...what business doesn't try to sell themselves in any way to a possible hire that they want? Why wouldn't they tell Kelly they would let him make the decisions on his players? What really is the problem? You have no idea what was said and what was done in this interview but I'm not surprised you're trying to find every negative you think happened. Just you looking for another angle to rip on the Eagles. Piling on...that's why I don't take you seriously. Every move is a negative one in your mind. Jeff Lurie could come up with a cure for cancer and you would somehow spin it to him looking for media coverage. It's what you do!
  • If Jeff Lurie came up with a cure for cancer god forbid he would make his mother, wife and kids pay him for it.
  • The blame should be on Reid. He left this team in shambles. The offensive line turned into a screen door after he promoted Castillo. Dropping Vick back 50 times a game cost Reid his job and Vick a chance from building off of 2010.
  • Not according to some on here. But Im with you on that 100%. With one exception. Include management & ownership in the mess. Does it suprise you no one credible wants to coach here. But according to some we have a hands off owner. I would call Lurie a meddling owner that had a great QB in Mcnabb that bailed him out. Now hes got squat. If you look at Lurie in business he leaves a trail of failures.
  • not hard to do when you know the dealers hand and your hand before the cards are dealt. with your mommas trust fund and a few friends in politics and at the bank of boston making money is a forgone conclusion.
  • Sure Lurie has lined his pockets but his trophy case is empty and that will be his legacy.
  • That's true.....
  • In Philly that will be his legacy. In Boston he will come home to a heroes welcome.
  • Hey let's not forget the wind turbines!
  • Vick sucks can't read a defense teams blitz him on almost every down and he can't figure it out
  • The coaching gurus are to blame for the Eagles, not M Vick, Reid, who by the way I like, first mess up was putting his friend, Castillo with no prior experience as d corr, next mistake, which I cant understand why he did not see it, the passing game is setup by a solid running game, which when u run the football it takes pressure off the off line. They have 2 good running backs(mccoy & brown) and these offensive genius's did not use them. Maybe Marty can go back to Detroit. Andy needs a fresh start. EagleFans-I think its going to be a tough road, the GM roseman's Bio brags about snatching up D Bell from the bills, He is a fat piece of s--t, who should be on the unemplyment line with 90% of that O line. Andy was smiling on his exit-it was time to go with that front office. Jeffrey Lurie is a good man but he is surrounded with people who are not football people. Thsi is not about Michael Vick, who is an exceptional athlete, its about the personnel who he was surrounded with by the front office briantrust-GO Chiefs
  • They think getting rid of Vick solves this mess. They have very little talent and maybe the worst executive office in football. If you ever notice whenever and executive , player or coach leaves they are blamed. This organization operates with a formula and they stick too it. The same charges they leveled at Reid Ill level at the front office. They dont change. WIP is ripping Lurie and entourage for traveling around like desperados looking to snatch a coach out of the hat. And when the big Chip Kelly sweepstakes turns up empty they blame it on the lack of flexibility of Vick. Thats funny as s*it. Only with the Eagles is there a PR controversy on everything. They are the most undisciplined and unfocused front office in football. Bozo the Jeffrey
  • Hollywood nobody thinks getting rid of Vick solves the problems, but nobody thinks Vick is good enough, or can stay healthy enough to be part of the solution. Can you honestly say that Mike Vick will play even one more season without getting injured? Can you say that Mike Vick has the capability to cut down his turnover exponentially? Can you truly say Mike Vick can win that dynasty he was bragging about when he only is about two games over .500 as an Eagle, and his now approaching his mid 30s? Do you really believe this guy (Mike Vick) can recreate himself like Randall Cunningham did late i his career, when he is so short he can barely see over the line? Is Mike Vick truly worth 15 million? My answer to all of those questions is an emphatic NO! Mike Vick's own refusal to renegotiate his contract places the Eagles in a bind, but I don't blame him. You see Mike Vick no longer wishes to play in Philly, because there is a chance he could find a starting job someplace else. I'm not going to cry for a player who doesn't want to be here, and simply isn't good enough to make this team better.
  • This isnt a cry for Mike Vick. and I agree with you on many of your points with the exception of the re-creation part. Who knows about that but my point is if the front office line was we can conmmit to Vick if thats the guy you want I could understand that. But to say we will work to renegotiate his contract and if he agrees then we will pay you is absolutely retarded. It shows no committment at all from the organization if kelly had chosen Vick. Thats just poor management and newbie negotiations. I couldnt care less what they do with Vick thats on them. I think until they have a better QB they should think twice about diving head first from 4-12. They will break their neck.
  • Cut the a little slack Wood. They haven't chosen a coach in over 14 years. How about we actually let them pick someone before we crush them? LOL
  • All Im saying is an example if the Eagles were to announce just before the superbowl that they signed Bill Cowher that would create quite a buzz around the league. If they say they signed Arians that would be an average signing that most people in the NFL would give a few hours notice. I say make the big splash and raise the stakes. And Cowher can take no name QBs with little talent like Foles and make them championship QBs. I hate "the mouth" but the guy can make a team comptetive with garbage.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Bryan Cox's sex revelation

Ex-NFL LB diagnosed with ALS

Mo'Ne Davis makes cover of SI

Ditka's misguided Redskins remarks

Marbury to star in play about Marbury

Breakout college players for 2014

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Best MLB at-bat walk-up songs

Braxton Miller out for the season

David Wilson to train for 2016 Olympics

Team unveils plaid football helmets

How Mo’Ne Davis got started in baseball

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.