February 08, 2013

Boring but intelligent choice for D Coordinator

Some of you might have been waiting for that big name but why would Lurie undercut his guy before the season starts?  Chip is the main personality.  A high profile guy would only put unnecessary pressure on Chip.  They made a wise choice in getting these two replaceable parts.  Now some of you are wondering about cleveland but that team was in the process of changing ownership.  Thats a recipe for teams doing poorly.  But the truth is the Browns actually had a pretty tough defense under the circumstances.  They were undermanned and knew changes were coming.  Im suprised things werent worse.  Again, hats off to the front office on two solid choices.

3 Comments:
  • I disagree. No one they could have hired at the coordinator positions would have outshined the Kelly hiring. I'm not sure why you think that fans were waiting for a big name...just about everyone they interviewed weren't really household names except by some of the bigger fans in the cities they are assistants in. I think what most people wanted were solid choices not names of a head coach recently fired who only had a short stint at offensive coordinator and a linebackers coach from a team picking at the top of the draft evey year who had two failed attempts as a defensive coordinator. It seems like Shurmur may have been someone they wanted but Billy Davis certainly reeks of a failed attempt by the Eagles at hiring their first choice(s) and stories I read and heard yesterday suggest just that. Look, no matter what there isn't anything we can do about these choices but hope they work out and I'm surprised a bit by your enthusiam but I'm just keeping it real.
  • A linebacker coach is just what we need. Sometimes it takes a few failures to find the formula for success. Im not overly concerned. the league is fast becoming offensive oriented wit all the rule changes. I think he will be fine .
  • I can't believe I am about to type this, but I hope you are right Hollywood. I am not happy about this hiring, but I'm taking a wait and see with it. I won't tell you that you are wrong because I don't know, but I do know the guy didn't have success in the past when he was a coordinator before. Maybe he's learned from the past, and perhaps he can get the job done now.

Evaluating the future stars of the WWE

If sports fans made honest signs...

MLB hitters to start worrying about

10 must-see NFL games in 2014

Gallery: The best of Blair O'Neal

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.