March 17, 2013

Brian Westbrook's Story Is A Troubling One.

Brian Westbrook apparently is already having some serious post concussion problems. "Only 33, Brian Westbrook already suffers from short-term memory loss. He can't remember names, recall facts, or retain new material moments after he's told them. Westbrook can trace his health problems to at least a pair of concussions suffered during a shortened nine-year career...." With Brian having troubles with concussions, this could become a serious problem with current Eagle players who have already had concussions. McCoy, Jackson, and Vick have all recently been hit with bouts of concussions recently. Players who the Eagles could be counting on for a long period of time could end up into early retirement due to concussions, and these concussions could have lifelong repercussions for these players. The NFL claims to care about player safety, but with the rules basically slanted at protecting passing quarterbacks, fining players for hits, and a desire to extend the schedule to 18 games this seems untrue. Unfortunately the NFL is its own worse enemy. Players will not openly admit to their injuries, because of their fear of losing their jobs to someone else. Teams aren't all that willing to probe too deeply on injuries as keeping a star out of a game could lead to losses. Fans gravitate mostly to the gladiator violence of the sport. All of these factors combined with the fact retired players are killing themselves has made parents less willing to allow their children to play football. I played in a game where an 18 year old kid broke his back and became paralyzed for life. I stopped playing football that very same day. It's time Commissioner Goodell takes a proactive role in making his sport safer for the future of its players. Not just fining players today to give them some hush money later, but proactively investing in new protective gear. Considering playing less games, and eliminating some of these Thursday Night Games. Expanding NFL rosters, and going to radical ideas like creating a limit to the amount of hits a player can take per game. It's time the NFL gets serious about protecting all of its players. Not just the ones who are married to models.

16 Comments:
  • You can thank Andy Reid for abusing and using the hell out of Westbrook. How many times did I mention that and get jeered at by you and GTD. Why are you so concerned now?
  • Brian rarely got more than 20 touches a game, so how you could think he was overused is beyond me. This is bigger than just Brian. It's a shame you can't get over yourself enough to see that. The NFL needs to start making real changes or it could find itself extinct.
  • and you want mccoy to get more touches. thats helpful
  • I want him to get at least 20, and the NFL should still change their policies,
  • He doesn't NEED to get 20 as long as Brown keeps improving and can hold onto the ball but 20 TOUCHES to your best running back who is a difference maker isn't unreasonable.

This is just hollywood looking to blame Reid for something that happens too much lately with contact sports (and he's also trying to pat himself on the back by twisting facts). It's a huge shame but it is part of the risk with pro sports. The NFL needs to continue to look into ways to improve player saftey and take care of their own after players retire.
  • During his prime years he averaged more than 20 touches not to mention he returned kickoffs and punts. There was plenty of talk that Reid was using him too much. Why would Reid care if he got his brains scrambled? He didnt even bat an eye when his kid died on the Eagle campus.
  • Again you are going places were I don't wish to be so I will just say if you have that much beef with Reid why don't you write him and ask him.
  • Idk about this. He seems fine on tv n radio. He doesn't stutter over words he doesn't forget what he was going to say. He could be reading all of this off cue cards but it doesn't seem like it to me. Either way I hope he's gonna be ok.
  • The NFL will never get serious about this issue. There's technology out there to help prevent them. Helmets that register how hard a player is getting hit and if they should be looked at but it'll never be used until the league is forced to. North Carolina University developed it i think.
  • The problem is players are getting bigger stronger And Im NOT saying due to roids....look at the technology in the training!
    better food to eat, and I think this guy Westbrook should retire, if hes in the shape? I read here?
    the blog??? above states the helmets are better, and the fact the NFL wont do much in helping! why MONEY and in My mind they really dont care. yes football is a hard hitting sport, why??? I think they use helmets and pads? dont want to get hit hard? try just being a fan??? oops and sometimes you must even in the stands, protect you from some drunken fan, who will later tell the cop?? I just had a couple beers?
  • westbrook is retired he does tv n radio now here in philly
  • Good thanks I didnt know that, to be honest
  • It is a shame that these things are happening but I know I have heard at least one ex-football player say that he would still play after knowing all the facts. I think it may have beem Ike Reese. Players know the risk they are taking (they may not understand them fully but they know)...still is a damn shame. The NFL needs to keep looking into ways to improve player safety and they may want to look into stopping the glorifying of all the big borderline dangerous hits they seem to be penalizing now. NFL films has and still is making these hits an advertisement for the NFL while they are saying they are looking for ways to improve safety. Doesn't seem right but I will admit it must be hard to back off part of what's made the league so successful. They've put themselves into the bind they are in.
  • cause fans like the hits
  • ever know the real reason fans love car racing?????
    the car wrecks.....
  • Brian complains about his injuries, and then complains about rule changes?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Another NFL player arrested

Mayor egged for moving ballpark

Nike halts Peterson sponsorship

Fan drops wedding ring on field

Ronda Rousey rips Cyborg...again

NFL, NFLPA agree, players reinstated

Five NFL surprises after two weeks

Adrian Peterson out indefinitely

Tony Stewart case goes to grand jury

WATCH: Barkley bounces first pitch

Brandon Marshall calls out ESPN

Starks confirms hip-hop urban legend

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.