July 26, 2013

Can Shady Turn The Tide?

Finally we have a coach willing to actually use the best player on the roster in Shady McCoy. Now that McCoy will be fed the ball on more of a regular basis so that both he and the offensive line can get into a real groove the question I have is this. Can McCoy getting the ball more turn the Eagles from pretenders to contenders? Barring injuries the Eagles will be vastly improved on the offensive line compared to last season. The numbers don’t lie that when McCoy gets 20 or more carries the Eagles generally win. Hopefully Chip Kelly is smart enough to exploit that fact unlike our former coach who by the way apparently STILL hasn’t ran the ball at a Chiefs practice.  McCoy has come in and said he wants to take his game to the next level. When McCoy is on, he’s one of the best backs in the league, and the fact his coach has rested him for most of his career he should be about ready to take the pounding the elite guys take.

"I think in this offense, with the ability to run the ball more, where I can kind of take over the game - there's been flashes of it in the past, but having the ability to do it day in and day out, game in and game out, I think is a different story."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20130726_Eagles_Notebook__McCoy_says_he_s_out_to_step_it_up.html#6YsTAYHRv3XYjhOU.99

McCoy also went on about his excitement about playing in the new offense and his chance to get more carries. Clearly McCoy by his comments felt his former coach was holding him back a little. The offense as a whole should be better as long as there is more balance. Regardless of who the quarterback is, none of them are good enough to be passing the ball 40-50 times a game in a win or loss. The play action pass was a complete waste under Reid. McNabb was one of the best in the league at it, but for Mike Vick it didn’t matter. Teams just went after him regardless. The Eagles just didn’t run the ball enough to keep teams honest. If the Eagles can find a way to control the ball more with their run game, the will open up the play action game and their passing game. It would be easier to break Jackson open deep when the safeties are forced up into the box to help against the run. Time will tell how it all plays out, but I excited to finally see  what McCoy could really do.

31 Comments:
  • He wont last at that clip.
  • Sure he can. What you think he's too small? Are you still on that trip despite the fact you've seen big back after big back continuously break down in this league? What's next you going to tell me Beanie Wells is still better?
  • I think Beanie wells will be playing behind a better line this year in Pittsburgh. We shall see. i might grab him late in fantasy football.
  • Yes bums like Wells are drafted late. Of course you will probably be able to pick that oft-injured stiff up via free agency.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I feel that if he stays healthy he should have a chance to have a big season.
  • Put your name on it spot. Wearing another mans name on your back is embarrasing. Arent you proud of who you are?
  • Seems like Mike got the first team reps in the first practice. Sal Palontonio believes its Vick's job to win/lose. We'll see what happens.
  • Chip want to win now its Vick. If hes going to be a certain loser its foles. If its not going to matter its Barkley. You choose.
  • Everyone who thought they could win now with Vick got fired. Unless Vick changes how he plays he will only be a letdown.
  • Not that it matters on day one but this report states that Vick threw a pick to Ryans on his first throw but had an overall decent day finishing 14-20. Foles had an equally impressive day (a little better by the sounds of it) while going 20-24 and 13-14 with the first team and was the only QB who did not throw a pick (Barkley had a ball go off Shepards hands and was picked by Kurt Coleman). Who knows what will happen when the pads are on but if Vick's running ability doesn't sway Kelly into pushing him past Foles there is no reason Foles can't win this competition. It's not like he's going up against a stud here although Hollywood will try to tell you differently.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-qb-tracker-foles-sharp-day-1
  • Tough break on Maclin. I heard Ruben Frank on the radio and he believes Foles will win the job, because the fact the offense with the quick short passing, quick decision making, low turnovers, and the need to be able to line up players quickly all cater more to Foles strengths than Vick's which really is his ability to run and throw the ball deep. In reality the deep pass isn't a good offensive play. The further down field a ball is thrown the lower the completion rater becomes for the play. On top of that they Eagles rely on smallish players at receiving positions. They simply don't have guys big enough to beat defenders on jump balls. That type of offense is just too erratic.
  • Quick short pass game means he sucks. I can throw short passes. Dont need a multi ,illion dollar QB to do that.
  • Exactly Hollywood you don't need a multimillion dollar quarterback to do that. Especially if that guy can't do it! In case you haven't been watching Vick can't.
  • i think it was you that said shady was an elite running back . top 3. that sure worked out. I told you he would break and he did. hes not built to run 20+ times a game. he will get concussed again especially if they are losing. Hes a good back but not great.
  • So I guess Peterson tore his ACL because he isn't a great back then, huh? I guess Mike Vick isn't a great QB because he gets hurt all the time (including concussions), right (and you would be right if you thought that because he isn't)? McNabb could also fit that bill with all the injuries he had...give us a break, Hollywood. It's the NFL...every player and every team deals with injuries.
  • Green I almost feel bad for raveneaglewood as he's about to draft a player he believes to be a top 5 player at his position who isn't even in the league right now.
  • He looks good very very good and excited. He was pumping up the crowd up jumping around. It was good to see someone with heart out there, besides when dawk came out. Also dmac got a standing O a couple times n I didn't hear one boo. It was nice to see.
  • Hes no Ray Lewis pumping up the crowd. Do something big first then pump up the crowd
  • He has.
  • Hollywood you're the ultimate hater. You're seriously comparing a runningback with a linebacker HOFer? Shady McCoy is a leader and a great runningback. There are still very few backs I would take over him and the fact you would still take a bum like Wells instead shows your lack of football knowledge.
  • Once again you are in your fantasy world. Shady is a "great" back. How do you figure. Couldnt even complete a season last year. Did he even crack a thousand yards. Without a line he is no better than Beanie. Beanies only problem is he s too willing to sacrifice his body. He will make a good steeler where RB get blocking and do the punishing. Shady a leader? After that mouthy public display with his ex. That was real leadership EZ. Get a grip son. Now that Beanie is on a real team we will get a much fairer comparison.
  • All your posts claiming other people are living in fantasy worlds just make me wonder what world you are living in. You really are one messed up dude, Hollywood.
  • Really Mr.Follower. Your a racist hater thats pretty much common knowledge here. Im going to harrass you and EZ at every opportunity. Two idiots that dooted on kevin kolb and now Nick Foles. I cant stand retard fans like you. Fans like you keep the Eagles losing. Blindly obedient and accept any sh** thrown at them. Your what I would call the "fool fan". a sucker. a patsy. A born loser.
  • "Blindly obedient and accept any sh** thrown at them."

This would equate to the trash play Vick has been giving the Eagles for the past two seasons and you just want to wallow in it like a pig in slop. A so called fan who has no allegiance to the team can attempt to call out other fans, but in the process he will look like a dumbazz. The only person we know who's racist on this site would be you Jimmy The Greek Jr.
  • You were running around proud that they got rid of McNabb. You know the guy that throws the ball in the dirt. You thought KK potential was unlimited. Now 30,ooo jerkoffs like you are cheering him like you love him. Bold face lie.
  • The Eagles were right to get rid of McNabb. What has he done since being an Eagles proves they were wrong? You won't have an aster to that. I never stated Kolb had unlimited potential fool. If anything I told you we don't know what it is. Stop bringing up irrelevance like McNabb and Kolb. They have nothing to do with this anymore or are you lumping guys together again because of the color of their skin?
  • "Obedient fan"? Because I don't spend an hour a day on a website whining about the Eagles? I'm a racist hater and it's common knowledge on here? Because the biggest liar on this site says so? Do me a favor and find ONE barker that has made those claims besides you. Find one comment from another barker or find one comment I typed that makes me seem like a racist or a hater...and typing I want to see Foles over Vick doesn't count because that doesn't come close to making me one...it will only show me how far you will go to try and prove your lies if you use it....how far you will reach. You on the other hand have had comments by at least two other barkers (probably more) within the past month about your racism.

Just stop the lies, hollywood. Don't you get how much of an ass you make yourself look like on here? I'm sure your buddy still thinks your an ass but just like with romorules you fit what he wants out of you...a platform to discuss his BS about the Eagles.
  • Green you're not a racist piece of trash like wood is. I don't see you lumping guys together by the color of their skin. I see you like everyone using commonsense taking each situation and evaluating it separately. The people who are taking what happened with one player (McNabb was black and successful here so Vick has to be as well or Kolb was white and failed so any other white guy will to) and are lumping them together due to the color of their skin are promoting a terrible racial bias that is of the same fashion as Jimmy the Greek. Don't feel you have to defend yourself from this truly racist scumbag.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best, worst MLB players of August

Cowboys looking to add Michael Sam

Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K

NFL player's odd reason for face tattoo

Tebow drafted over Henne in fantasy

Texans, J.J. Watt agree on extension

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Switch pitcher could see action in MLB

Power ranking every NFL stadium

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.