June 30, 2013

CHARLES KELLY IS RUINING THE DEFENSE.

BETWEEN three OLB's who will get beat like drums in coverage and a pair of Safeties who are somehow a step DOWN from last years pair, Charles Kelly is well on his way to making Philadelphia a perennial defensive laughing stock.

Oh we were bad last year, make no mistake. But that was with the distinction of not having an experienced Defensive Coordinator. This year we HAVE an experienced DC, but either he and the Head Coach are intent on doing something so stupid, you'd almost think they had a vendetta against the city!

If you heard that DeMarcus Ware, or JPP was going to spend time covering TE's, slot receivers, and motioned RB's, you'd have a laugh and lick your chops. But that's EXACTLY what we're doing with Trent Cole and Brandon Graham

Those 7 wins are going to be hard for Nick Foles to come by with a Defense that can't get off the field.

15 Comments:
  • Im not sure what they are trying to accomplish on defense but I think the squad on paper looks much weaker than last year. Its not a vendetta against the fans but just a thankyou for supporting any garbage they put out.
  • I can hear Kelly now, "My expertise is Offense. I don't coordinate or play Defense. You wanna know why they suck, ask them." Either that or he has to accept responsibility and say some version of "I gotta do a better job."

NOTHING would please me more than to watch EZ have to handle Kelly becoming Reid 2.0. Seriously, because I (and the NFL) frankly still think Reid is a good coach. Watching Kelly grow into Reid would be AWESOME!!!

IMPRESS ME CHARLES!!!
  • Look Im not a big fan of Reid after the superbowl loss but he put together a solid team. I think the front office and Lurie squandered what was once really a well planned approach to winning. Reid used a great formula early on but somehow the goal slipped away and Reid wasnt quite as convincing in the later years. He carried out the front office orders like a good soldier. In away his career turned out like McNabbs. Unfullfilled. I think hes a talented architect but that was a long long time ago.
  • If it truly was the F.O. that prompted Reid to scrap his plan as you say, then in KC we may get a look at the most real Reid we've seen in years.
  • Im in OC MD. Yes,I think its a real possibility. When he got to Philly he may have been the top prospect coach in football. If his football knowledge has the same value today as it did when he joined the Eagles and KC is committed to winning a superbowl I think Reid could do it. It will have to happen within 3 to 4 years. He is no longer a longterm solution.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I doubt KC will be 12-4 level good. The AFC West is a fairly weak division, but a lot of that has been due to how bad KC was and how dysfunctional Oakland was. Neither condition still applies. Meanwhile San Diego seems to be limbo bound (both as a destination and as an activity.)

I doubt we'll be 4-12 again. A LOT has to go wrong for a team to be that bad. last year we had no DC, 80% of our O-line was gone, our QB, TE, RB, and key WR all missed time with injuries. Jason Babin went from starter to cut. And you can't tell me that Garrett's death had no affect on Andy, or on how Tammy felt about staying in the area that she felt was a bad influence on her children. (I heard that 3rd or 4th hand from someone who knows the family personally, that she made him choose, but I can't substantiate that, otherwise I'd have made a HUGE deal out of it.) The whole thing just went south.

Odds are low that a disaster that bad can't happen 2 years in a row, so we should do better than 4-12. I'm just concerned that people will crown Kelly the Messiah for 5-11 or 6-10, then turn around and act BETRAYED when after 3 years we can look back on 7-9, 8-8, and 7-9.
  • There are two daughters and another son. But like I said, I can't substantiate what I heard, but I'm just passing it along.

And yeah the older two had had run-ins even prior to being here.
  • In a baggie stuffed in someones rectum?
  • Sorry. Grew up around the corner from 25th and Oakdale (one of Philly's WORST drug corners). Even if you weren't part of that, if you lived close, you HAVE stories.
  • The Steelers have done fairly well with a zone blitz defense that involves dropping their bigger guys back in coverage.
  • They have, and so has Baltimore and San Fran, and Marv Levy's Bills. San Diego and Miami did okay with it years ago as well. The difference between us and those teams? All those teams drafted YOUNG OLB's to play OLB. The Eagles are converting a 30 year old DE, and a DE who wasn't a coverage ace even before his ruptured ACL.

I think people are looking at it from a standpoint of "Can he do this?" as opposed to the actual application of exactly WHAT he will be doing. The question of "Can Trent Cole drop into coverage?" is VASTLY different than "Can Trent Cole cover Jason Witten or Fred Davis?" or "Can Brandon Graham cover Santana Moss or Rueben Randle in the slot?" And those two questions represent 6 games a year.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.