June 11, 2013

Chip Kelly Is Working Too.

["There is a ton of work," said Kelly to reporters this week. "There is work every day. You're never done. You've never arrived. There is always something to do..."]

This is what Chip said before his players went their own away for the next 5 weeks. Chip isn't done working. He's still evaluating, game planning, building his systems with his coaching staff. He's looking over all the film he has from all of the practices looking to see what players were giving their all, what players did wrong, and how they can fix them. Some people want to claim Kelly is going to be the next Steve Spurrier, but unlike Spurrier, Kelly is working to improve himself and his team every day. Spurrier ASSummed his offense would be sufficient enough  (with enough former Gators running it) to just work in the NFL. No changes were necessary. He didn't know his players names, and he would often slip out of camp to go golfing. In other words Spurrier didn't put in the WORK necessary for him to be successful in the NFL.

Since Chip Kelly is putting the work in to give his players the best opportunity to succeed he's doing something that apparently has become strange to a few of the current group of players on the roster. He's expecting them to put in work too. [ "I expect them to be professional and prepare like this is their year," said Kelly. "You have an opportunity. So there is a responsibility that goes with that. So it's, I believe, a privilege to play in this league, and with that privilege goes responsibility. So I expect our guys to work their tails off."] So quite naturally there are guys on this roster who are used to "Taco Tuesdays" with Andy, instead of Smoothie Sundays with Chip who are bucking back a little over the change. Guys like Mike Vick who has been given so much, squandered it, given more and squandered that too over his NFL career are now feeling a level of uncertainty, because for once it wont be given to them. The will now have to earn it like the rest of us in life do. Imagine a guy like Mike Vick who since he was a kid was always just given whatever he wanted. Even after his time in prison he was given back everything he just squandered away, but now out of nowhere he's expected to EARN it. I'm sure it must be a frightening time for him. The uncertainty of working hard to achieve his goal is certainly alien to him, but if he embraces the role of hard worker, the guys who look up to him on this roster will embrace it too. Instead Mike is embracing the selfish role of wanting it easy. There's no wonder why this team is only two games over .500 with him under center.

So the Eagles have a coach who is demanding his players work and the reason is because he isn't putting on them anything he isn't placing on himself. Working hard early ultimately leads to victories. There was a time when Andy Reid used to run one of the toughest training camps in football. In fact it wasn't uncommon for a player or two to go down for the year in training camp. THOSE TEAMS WENT TO 5 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES despite the fact they weren't always the most talented football team in the league at the time. Then after the new CBA Reid went ultra soft on his players. They haven't been winners since. It's time for this team to get back to work. 

14 Comments:
  • Chip Kelly's life is football, as I recall when he coached here in Eugene.
    Thank god he doesn't have a family why
    I think they would be forgotton this is why his overall record in COLLEGE was 46-7 2009-2012....
  • Mike Vick squandered it? I thought its a team game. He served his time in prison which is more than you can say for most white collar criminals. get over it.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • At this point in Kelly's career I'm am not concerned with wins and losses, rather I'm concerned with how his team competes. If they are just giving dogged performances it could mean some trouble. I'm still on the side of letting this all play out.
  • I'm a little confused about the taco Tuesdays and then the jump tp Vick. R u trying to say Vick was the one complaining about losing them and doesn't like the smoothies after practice? Unless I missed something when I was out of the country in feasterville I doubt Vick would have a problem with being in shape and working out.
  • No that comment had nothing to do with Mike, rather its to the idea that Kelly is in over his head, but Reid did everything perfectly. It also is the idea of a change from the softer final days of Reid when players over 30 practiced once a day, junk food was the norm, and accountability was lost; to today where starting jobs aren't given they are earned, 30 and over players could find themselves not only practicing but learning a new position, junk food is replaced with protein shakes. It's about changing the culture.
  • players over 30. whos that?
  • I'm not going to name them all. If you don't know then you haven't been paying attention.
  • and remember its the sole responsibility on coach Kelly for everything??
    aka Jason Peters?
  • Jason Peters was just an idiot for that one. Of course some are going to blame Chip. Some would be dumb.
  • Some people would have the Eagles over react to every situation. To be clear this is a league problem, and not an Eagles problem. Every team in the league is dealing with players who have had brushes with the law. Should EVERY coach be fined or given disciplinary action due to actions player commit when they aren't with the team? The Cowboys had guards for Pac-Man Jones. He ended up fight the guards! I mean let's not kid ourselves, because the Eagles have had discipline issues in the past just like every other team. People can try to ignore this in a lame attempt to blame Chip Kelly for every discipline problem with the team. They will go out of their way not to admit they are wrong. They have already condemned Kelly to fail and he hasn't even had his first training camp! Meanwhile the Raiders (out of his league) coach won 4 games last season, but he's getting praise like he's won the super bowl?????
  • its all connected with double standards
  • It's a wasted argument.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

New Redskins stadium in the works

Ranking the top 10 NFL running backs

Josh Shaw admits faking rescue story

Writers talk KD's big sponsor choice

Boxer in custody after shooting cousin

Gordon a contender for AL MVP?

Second-year NFL breakout players

Boris Becker's gross case of tennis elbow

ESPN 'regrets' Sam showering report

'Madden 15' has hilarious glitches

Gordon's suspension upheld by NFL

Ned Yost rips Royals fans for poor attendance at games

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.