December 23, 2012

Chip Kelly seems to be at the top of the list

Has anyone else read the report from CBS's Jason La Canfora? It seems like the Chip Kelly to Philly rumors are starting to pick up a real head of steam. My thoughts? I think it's way too risky. To me, Kelly is the biggest risk out of all coaches they could hire. For one, he's never coached in the NFL at any level. Not even as a position coach. Two, we've already had enough gimmicks for one lifetime. We don't more of that. Finally, this is my chief concern. 

What I'm afraid of most is that the FO is going to get tunnel vision and just zero in on Kelly without even remotely considering any alternative candidates. It won't be a true and proper search. 

Lurie better be making this decision as if it were life and death.

45 Comments:
  • Working for jeff Lurie and this stripped down organization wont be any coach with a futures first choice. Eagles are a rotten shell of an organization thats going nowhere.
  • Whoever the Eagles pick let's just hope he can help transition this team to a winner quickly. Reid did it, why not the next head coach? I get that it may not happen as quickly because there doesn't seem to be a McNabb in the Eagles near future (and no Dawkins on the defense) but you never know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...nothing else I can do.
  • Either one of the A&M tackles would be great at this pick. Joeckel or Matthews. We'll definitely by high enough to grab a safety too. I'm hoping Eric Reid will still be around, if not then Matt Elam would be nice too.
  • I agree with you, GG although I was discussing Lurie and Roseman's choice as the next head coach. They lose next week they should be able to grab either tackle, maybe Teo or Lotulelei who I'm hearing could be the best DT to come out in years. Could you imagine the Eagles shoving a 6'4", 320 lb. beast next to Cox? The Eagles could be set with their starters on the defensive line for the next 5-10 years. One of the tackles from A&M would allow them to move Herremans back to guard and depending on Kelce and Peters could solidy a line that was looking pretty good already before all those injuries. Te'o on the strong side could solidify a linebacker position that during the Reid era was always a major weakness without Trotter. They could trade back and still get a very good player and an extra pick or two. We'll see what happens. Going to be an interesting off season.
  • Star and Cox side by side would be amazing. Wait until you see the DE that's coming out next year. His name is Jadevon Clowney from South Carolina. They're calling him the defensive Andrew Luck.
  • I'll definitely look for him. I still remember that you were the biggest advocate for Kuechly on yardbarker and kept strong even though many on here were typing that he was too slow and too small (sound familiar hollywood?). One barker even stated he was nothing more than a glorified Casey Matthews. He is only leading the league in tackles with 151 so far. I like Cox but I would have been thrilled if the Eagles would have somehow wound up with Kuechly.
  • Remember how high I was on Kuechly? I feel the same about Johnny Football. Many people are saying he's too small and that his skill set won't translate to the pros. Funny thing is that he's close in size to RG III.

RG III is 6'2" 217 lbs and Manziel is 6'1" 200 lbs.

Skill wise, I look at it differently. Sure we have no way of knowing if we'll be in position to get him, if he'll even declare next year, much less if he'll duplicate this incredible season. However, I'm amazed by his poise.

This kid is just 20 years old and he's got maturity and intelligence beyond his years. Those are the two biggest qualities you need in a franchise QB.

It's a synergy of those qualities and that kind of a talent that make a player that can bring a franchise back from the dead.
  • We'll see where he is at when he declares. I'm not thrilled with his size but I wasn't with Russell Wilson's either and I'm watching him right now and very impressed even though he hasn't had to throw often tonight (shout out to you, flip). If the Eagles need a QB when he comes out (very well could happen) and he is still tearing it up in college my interest could perk. If he's that good let's hope the Eagles are interested when it's time.
  • I'm more than impressed. That was one of the best if not the best defense in the NFL and he absolutely smoked them.
  • Just because a player has the most tackles doesnt necessarily prove he s agreat player. Ed Simonini of the Baltimore Colts led the team in tackles only problem was teams ran at him constantly because he was undersized. Worst Colt middle linebacker I can remember.
  • So, Simonini made the plays and racked up the tackles but teams kept running at him? Seems like a stupid idea in my opinion. Whatever, hollywood. Kuechly had 164 tackles this year (14 more than Navorro Bowman who was 2nd). Tell me those tackles wouldn't look good on any team. By the way you shouldn't be surprised that when I googled 2012 Defensive player of the year, Kuechly's picture came up with an article from bleacher report predicting he would win it. That "slow", midget you wanted the Eagles to stay away from could be the defensive rookie of the year...you sure know your football!
  • Couple guys the Eagles should look at . Franklin from Missouri. Boyd form Clemson and of course Geno Smith WV.
  • The fact that you actually endorsed James Franklin takes away all your credibility.
  • If Chip Kelly is the guy then so be it. Apparently there is a scandal brewing at Oregon so that means it will be a good time for him to move on. We will see what happens.
  • Kelliscott guy. I guess he finally decided to really leave this time.
  • I couldn't remember his ID either 20dawk and according to him I was his #1 fan.
  • I'd be okay with them looking in the Pacific Northwest for their next head coach, but not in Oregon. Try Seattle, WA. Gus Bradley is looks pretty promising. Plus he got a ringing endorsement from Monte Kiffin. That's right. Monte Kiffin. One of the greatest defensive minds in NFL history.

If a coach of Monte Kiffin's caliber takes a shining to you, then you gotta be pretty damn good.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Good point Spot. They have wasted half a season keeping fatman because its the classy thing to do. Hes probably peddling steroids and who knows what else. And Reid is a garbage man.
  • You do care! What if it's Marty. LOL
  • I think if you have truly been watching the Eagles the past few seasons should want him gone too.
  • if we keep picking running quarterbacks my head is going to freaking explode! I like nick foles and chip wouldn't use him. He would go after geno smith or keep Vick. I'm praying this move doesn't happen!
  • Yo GTD! Remember that Jadeveon Clowney kid I mentioned earlier? Check this hit out. It was from the bowl game last night. Tell me you wouldn't want that on the Eagles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENuZHnQlqX0
  • I already saw it. Nice! a buddy of mine watched the game and was texting me to tell me that is who he wanted the Eagles to draft before he realized he was only a sophmore. Said he was a beast!
  • I strongly doubt Kelly will accept an offer from the eagles when there will be offers from teams with much less baggage and a better upside right now.
  • You're kidding right? This has to be the best spot available. There's definitely talent here, plus you've got an owner that will give you limitless resources to help accomplish your goals and not interfere.
  • Consider the source, GG.
  • I dont agree. There is disarray and no QB. Not exactly a walk in the park. You think they have talent?
  • And who will the QB be for all this, ahem, 4-10 talent? Face it, the eagles need to rebuild and that takes time. No way Kelly takes the eagles job if he decides to go to the NFL.
  • I highly doubt that a coach with confidence would let a team's record or whether or not they had a legitimate QB be the deciding factor on where he chose to go. Let's be real...almost every team looking for a head coach has similar problems as the Eagles. If you believe the rumors that are now circling, Kelly may be heading to the Browns who had 1 more win than the Eagles, are quarterbacked by a 29 year old rookie who had a 72.6 passer rating last year and don't exactly seem to be exploding with talent. If he signs with the Browns it means he signed with the first team that offered him a contract...yeah that's being real picky!
  • May be some truth to that. these coaches may not be as picky as you think. Depens on the dollars. That usually makes people change their minds.
  • Absolutely agree, hollywood. Sounds like Kelly can be a bit picky if he chooses to be but every team he can pick from has it's issues and if any of these teams offered him enough money those issues would matter just a little bit less.
  • The Eagles Head Coach search may last until after the Super Bowl. There are several other coaches on playoff teams that could get interviews with Philadelphia, including Cincinnati’s Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer, Green Bay’s Ben McAdoo, Seattle’s Darrell Bevell, Washington’s Kyle Shanahan and Houston offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.
  • I don't have a problem with the Eagles taking their time on this one. I hope they don't overpay for a Chip Kelly when they still have other options available. I think they are just trying to run the price up to stick it to Banner.
  • I hope you aren't right about that. This is a NFL football franchise looking for a head coach not 2 bickering party's trying to outbid each other on an episode of "Storage Wars". I don't mind them taking their time but if they find their man they need to strike before he's gone.
  • I'm not that big on Chip Kelly right now. I don't see how he fits in Philly without a mobile QB. So what are the options? Another season of Mike Pick? Trying out Tim Tebow? Going after T. Jackson, J. Webb, or someone like that? Do they bet the farm and try to get Geno Smith? Except for Smith (but over paying is a bad idea), I don't see a great option for the Eagles otherwise.
  • Chip Kelly has just announced that he will not be the Browns Head Coach. The Browns have re-booted and are seeking a coach elswhere. The Eagles are still waiting to hear from him.
  • I can't see how Nick Foles could be his guy. Another season of Mike Pick.....
  • I hear they're in Denver right now interview Mike McCoy. However, my personal favorite candidate comes to town tomorrow. Bruce Arians.
  • I think it's no coincidence that Bilicheat doesn't think too highly of Howie Roseman, and the Eagles top two candidates bailed on them with both having connections to him. Now Gruden is said to have interest in the job, but will the Eagles go after him? No, because that would mean their precious Howie Roseman (who by the way didn't even have close to the best rookie class this past season) will not be willing to give up power.

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

2013 NFL rookies who could breakout in 2014

Grading college basketball's first-year coaches

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.