June 03, 2013

CHIP KELLY'S EVOLUTION.

WHUMP!

That was the sound of the first domino falling in the evolution of Chip Kelly as an NFL Head Coach. He is slowing down the pace of his practices because: the coach recently told his squad they're moving too rapidly for their own good

(source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208483/article/chip-kelly-slowing-down-philadelphia-eagles-tempo )

Kelly also went on to say: "You have to slow it down if you aren't doing it right. You can't be doing it at a fast pace and doing it wrong. Then it's time to slow down and teach."

I'm glad to see this. VERY glad actually. 

The NFL is the worlds best football league, and has been adapting, inventing, and discarding tons of concepts for the better part of a century. Every time someone adds a wrinkle, someone else makes a name smoothing it out. Word is, that Pat Shurmur was brought in to help Kelly adapt his system into something capable of surviving the NFL. That means ADDING a LOT of concepts to what was most likely a relatively simplistic system; and something more complicated takes more time to teach. 

Apparently this early in, things aren't going well and that has prompted Kelly to take a hard look in the mirror. Either he could blame the players, or he could admit he wasn't putting them in the best position to succeed. He decided he would have to do a better job. 

He elected to change his style and slow the practices so he could focus on teaching. More like a hardworking NFL coach, and less like a brash college superstar. (It can't be all smoothies, quips and techno.) 

I like it. In time we might actually end up with a real NFL caliber HC.

14 Comments:
  • "He decided he would have to do a better job."
    Isn't it great to finally have a Head Coach who ACTUALLY decides to make changes in order to "do a better job" instead of a guy for 14 years TELL us he has to "do a better job" and never change a darn thing?
  • Inaccurate.

Plus it's without a substantive statement as to exactly what Kelly has changed.

All told, you've said nothing.
  • Wow you wrote this. You praised Chip Kelly for doing something Reid rarely did and you can't even agree with yourself. Let go of you unsubstantiated hatred. Well I know he wants your favorite coach killer to actually work to try and ruin his career like he has so many other coaches, but that's no reason to hate him as much as you do. It's funny how you cry and whine when there's no reason to, but when Reid was blowing another game, Nnamdi was taking another game off, DRC was missing yet another tackle, and Vick decided to have one more in opportune, you could have cared less. In fact you choose during those occasions to complain about why fans aren't happier with players and coaches f--CKing up.
  • I gave kudos to Kelly for slowing things down instead of insisting this was still college like he did to begin with.

He came in wearing his arrogance and was body checked by reality.

The worst part is he created the problem himself by being secretive about his system to his own players. Given a chance they could have had more time to study and hit he ground running in OTA's. (I do believe I'd said that). Now he won't see the players again for 6 or so weeks.

Blaming me, or Reid, or players who aren't here, or a QB that may not eve play, won't make Kelly a good coach, but I understand. You have nothing positive to say about the Eagles (me either), and you're left HOPING that THIS guy will be Mr. Right. Hope doesn't come natural to most Eagles fans, so you'll likely spend the next 3 years complaining about the franchise's all-time best coach, and then spend the next 3 after that whining about his replacement.

• Don't worry flippin little. NFL games haven't started yet. You can't stop telling a how much of a scared little chick you are considering Kelly hasn't coached one game with Reid's unmotivated lot. As for me don't ASSume what I'm going to be like this season. You would be wrong as usual.
  • I didn't assume what you'd be like in 2013. I assumed what you'd be like in November of 2014.

I'll go even further. By October 2015 (if he's still here) you'll be calling for The Anointed One's head.

And I'll likely (God willing) be here to tell you I was right all along.
  • Again you ASSUme incorrectly. Just like you ASSumed that I
    always wanted McNabb gone and are wrong, I didn't always want Reid gone. In fact I was one of Reid's biggest supporters for several years, but I'm not blind or overly sentimental. It was time for both Reid and McNabb to go, but you'll never admit you were wrong. It's not in the nature of arrogant people to admit when they were wrong. Keep hoping to be right in 2015 (a very hollywoodesqe type comment) while I'll be rooting for my teams success. Like Hollywood you will eventually be right.
  • Fact is I WANT this team to do well because as you've been told, I have friends who's livelihoods depend on it. If we become a winner and I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

Look, on one hand I'm proven right, and on the other hand if I'm wrong then life is good for loved ones. I can't lose in either scenario!! So for me it's all a wash.

YOU on the other hand have a declared stake in this. If Kelly sucks and doesn't achieve AT LEAST what Reid has over the course of 14 years, then the guy you've already anointed is less than the guy you keep harping about.

So while I MAY NOT eventually be right, I'm already at peace with it either way.
  • BF, I agree with the idea that it isn't gonna be easy for Kelly to just step in and succeed in the NFL. IF he makes it as an NFL Head Coach he'll take his lumps along the way. Only time will tell if he has what it takes. I've said all along that the NFL stands for 'Not For Long' if you can't cut it and play with the big boys. He also has a safety blanket, if he fails in the NFL college will welcome him back with open arms just like Spurrier was taken back in. Spurrier is perhaps one of the best HC's in college, just look at what he has done with South Carolina, they never won anything before. They may very well shoot for a National Championship before long. But in the NFL Spurrier stunk as a Head Coach.
  • Do you remember when Ray Handley took over the Giants?

My brother is a HUGE Giants fan, and at the time we were still living with our Mom, so I got to watch him AGONIZE over every obvious mistake this guy made. And the worse part were that his mistakes were SO obvious. He wasn't quite Barry Switzer, but he took a team that had enough talent to make the playoffs and struggled to a losing record.

Chip Kelly seems like a Ray Handley clone so far. Everything he's done (and more importantly HASN'T done) indicates that he's out of his depth, and there is no one above him who can guide him to where he needs to be.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Irony of ironies would be if what looks to be a nightmare becomes a dream.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • So could I. Actually contrary to popular belief, it's what I hope happens. Who wants to sit in their living room or a sports bar and be pissed for three hours every Sunday?

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

10 takeaways from NFL Week 2

Broncos fans really dislike Phil Simms

Chris Davis helps flip truck on highway

How long will Dennis Allen last?

Papelbon gets seven-game suspension

WATCH: Student has incredible dunk fail

WATCH: Tebow makes 'GMA' debut

Kaepernick on language flag: ‘I didn’t say anything’

RG3: MRI results positive, no fracture

Adrian Peterson to play in Week 3

Five QBs who should be benched

NFL Week 2 statistical tailgate

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.