August 14, 2013

Could Chip Kelly Actually Be Considering This?!

The Eagles ran over 80 plays against the Patriots. They got their offense moving at a torrid pace despite how the NFL’s refs planned to slow the Eagles down. In many ways the Eagles themselves are slowed down as they are still in a learning  their system. In regards to the Eagles first two quarterbacks, I noticed the system seemed a bit slower for Vick, but more explosive. With Foles the system seemed to run with the speed and efficiency it was meant to run, but Foles isn’t quite the athlete it’s supposed to run with. Something else struck me here. Chip Kelly didn’t allow either quarterback to get into a rhythm. He alternated between the two giving both about two series before moving to the next guy. He’s already indicated his plans to virtually do the same thing on Thursday against the Panthers. It got me to thinking that maybe Chip Kelly plans to use both of these guys the same way during the season as starters. Depending of the team, and situations, I am starting to feel that Kelly plans to alternate between his two quarterbacks on a regular basis. He’s just testing to see if he can get production from them while still alternating them. I believe that he believes his offense can perform with both players. With the sample size we have seen so far that has been the case. If he deploys the two similarly in this game rather than giving each of them a quarter to show their skills I think he is furthering this process of using both of them. He also mentioned that this competition may take longer than just two preseason games. For Kelly this isn’t a terrible idea to use both players. First it limits the exposure to hits for both players who up to this point haven’t been the all that durable. Second it forces defense to have to game plan for both styles of quarterbacks, and there are plenty of things to game plan for. Lefty verses righty, runner verses pocket guy, deep threat verses short to intermediate passer, and this alternating series to series with the possibility of little substitutions for the defense. We have heard how Chip Kelly is supposed to change the way the game is played, and how much of an innovator he is. We have also heard how both Foles and Vick’s presence lured him here. Running over 80 plays a game is a daunting task for any one player. So much in fact every other positions on the field will be alternating. Why not the quarterback? Think about it people. These two guys have been alternating since OTA’s. Kelly isn’t saying it, but his actions are. It seems to me that Kelly is planning to use a two quarterback system, but we all are too stuck in the traditional to see it. Look at this chart:

http://www.footballperspective.com/nfl-average-plays-per-team-since-1950/

You will notice that since the 1950s the total number of plays per games in the NFL never topped 70. Chip will be looking to push that number over 90 if he could. That sure could mean a lot of running around for one quarterback. Something tells me that isn't in Chip Kelly's plan.

14 Comments:
  • Oh my god...the old "Hollywood shuffle". If any coach would try it, it seems Kelly would be the man. If he does it and it works he'll be talked up. If both QBs start to struggle because of it he'll be buried and laughed at. It's the way the NFL and the world work.
  • I think when it comes to Chip Kelly everything he does will get him either talked up or laughed at. From holding big head signs on the sidelines to feeding his players smoothies while blasting rock music. Dude thinks differently from the rest of the field. The "Hollywood Shuffle" could be the direction this is headed although his idea would never have worked under Reid. The key I think here is to minimize the exposure of the quarterbacks to both hits and mistakes. That would mean running the ball more often, and that's something Reid was almost against to a fault. If Chip does do it, and it is successful, I will give Wood a some credit, despite his idea for doing so was flawed at the time.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • If each QB is responsible for a specific number of plays it could possibly work. It's the only logical reason why Kelly would rotate his QBs when they are supposed to be competing. I mean how can one compete if every 10 plays or so a new guy is out there?
  • Not entirely so. The play calling will basically be the same, and they did that very thing in the preseason games. I think it would be a long shot to try, but I don't think it's out of nowhere for a guy like Kelly to try.
  • You mean the Hollywood QB Tandem that you said was the dumbest idea ever.
  • Yup that exact one.
  • So its not so dumb after all . Only when I bring it up.
  • Two questions for you...has Kelly done it yet and has it worked? The jury is still out on whether it's still dumb. Here's thinking that it is.
  • So EZ is embracing the idea and you call us both dumb. how dare you.
  • I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. This is just a hunch that I am having based on how unconventional Chip has been so far. The truth is we won't know if it works unless someone does try to do it. If there were a coach in the NFL willing to do so it would be Chip Kelly. He hasn't stated he would do it, and no one is really trying to find out if he is. We're all assuming it will be one guy or the other. Let's just wait and see how it all plays out before we start getting offended over something that is only a theory.
  • I'm not sure what happened to that guy, but he would have been helpful in this situation. Kelly Scott sure made a lot of posts in nearly every category of YB. I'm not sure what he did to get canned, but he's gone now.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

10 bold predictions for the 2014 college football season

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.