January 22, 2014

COULD MICHAEL VICK BE A TEAM'S SALVATION?

ALMOST 2 weeks ago I wrote that Michael Vick going to Oakland would be a great idea. The Raiders need a starter.

More to the point, Dennis Allen needs a starter. He's coming up on a make or break year in 2014. If he does't finish 7-9 or better, my guess is he's coaching elsewhere in 2015. I however, think that would hurts the Raiders more than Allen.

The biggest problem the Raiders have faced is a lack of continuity. A coach would last a year, maybe two; and then he'd be broomed in favor of a new coach with a new system, who would also bring a different personality to the locker room. 

This constant switching HUGELY affected the Drafts, as players picked for last years system were poor fits in this years system, and failed to mesh well with this years picks, whom they could teach almost nothing. It was like tying an anchor to a baby prior to a swim.

Vick would give the Raiders a legit chance at winning those 7 or 8 games (provided he started at least 12). Allen getting to stay would give the Raiders 4 years of one coach, which they haven't had since Jon Gruden (1998-2001)

Mark Sanchez would also be a solid option.

Don't Laugh. Some coach of a "QB needy" team has already said that Sanchez would be a Day One starter for them. With his career mark of 33-29 as a starter, a QB needy team could take a worse gamble.

Look, as a Buccaneer Steve Young was abysmal. Taken off of a bad team he became a Hall of Famer. Fans here poo-poo'd Jeff Garcia as "washed-up" after he did time in Detroit and Cleveland. How'd that work out? Rich Gannon's rescue from KC also comes to mind.

The Jets are a cess pool. For years folks wanted to blame Sanchez. Well with him on the bench in 2013, it became clear that the dysfunction was (owner Woody Johnson), much deeper than any one player. Or coach.

I've always had trouble condemning a player for being a bad player while on a bad team. If the balance of 45 guys suck, it's probably less the players and more the team. 

In any case, what the Raiders really need is QB who can buy the coach at least one more year, because more than anything the team needs continuity. Vick or Sanchez could be that guy. 

Sometimes (especially for the Raiders historically), salvation comes from the strangest places.

13 Comments:
  • Yea go get Sanchez and Vick that's gonna turn the team around.
  • I think you need an "or" not an "and".

"And" creates controversy. Just pick one of them (or another QB) and stick with him for all 16 games. Make it known that whoever we get is THE GUY.

The Palmer/?/Flynn/Pryor/McGloin rollercoaster HAD to be unsettling for the locker room. Just name a guy before OTA's and barring injury, stick with him.

BTW: I get that that was sarcasm. But understand all 3 of our Super Bowls were with aging/re-tread QB's, whom people had counted out.

That's not to say I expect a SB with these guys, but the Raiders have a history of mining gold out of cast-offs. As a fan I can't help but believe in it.
  • Na I meant and. U get both of them name either one the starter cause their gonna be benched half way through the season anyway. Super Bowl ? U wanna talk Super Bowl? Phuck that try talking playoffs first.
  • Are you insane? There is no way Oakland will sign both.

Who's talking Super Bowl? Go back and read what I actually wrote. I even attempted to clarify it for you, but I guess next time I'll have to use smaller words.
  • I thinkVick is a shorterm option butI think Vick wants to be with a team closer to contention. I think Oakland is a poor choice for Vick. I think Sanchez isnt a bad flyer for Oakland but he is no guarantee to start and might end up a backup for years. Im not sure where Sanchez has gone wrong. I sort of like the guy but think he has arm issues.
  • A team in contention (or closer to) won't need Vick. I can see him somewhere like Oakland or Cleveland.

• Vick is just too beat up and injury prone at this point in his career, he's done.
  • I agree GR. Flip says if he starts at least 12 games he could win 7 or 8. I agree with that but I don't see him even making it halfway through a season at this point of his career. His role, I believe, is that of a backup now.
  • He also isn't getting any younger Tony...and that will lend to even more injuries, he's not gonna stop running and once he does he's open to taking huge hits.
  • Exactly GR. He is not going to change his game and he will get hurt again. We've said that to Seagull fans ever since they got him and for some strange reason they still think the Convick can still be the savior of somebody's team. Didn't they learn with McChoke?
  • Vick needs to stay in Philly. He's the best backup in the league and respected by his teammates. Hopefully he realizes this is the best situation for him.
  • It might be the best situation for him, but with Kelly having said that Foles (goes into camp as The Guy, but then) will have to compete again; Vick may not be the best situation for the Eagles.

Foles has enough on his plate without the added distraction of Vick (again).
  • I would not be surprise if ny jets are in play with m vick,marty morningweig is there,and he understand west coast offense. The raiders need a lot of help,offense line and defensive line,he would be running for his life--behind line. There will be a darkhorse team,that will gamble on m vick. My honest opinion,stay in philly,and make team better,he is injury prone,playing hero ball,and not letting game come to him.ala defense's run when you have to,get ball out quick,he is a total weapon--strong arm and legs--WHEN HEALTHY!!!HOLLA

Evaluating the future stars of the WWE

If sports fans made honest signs...

MLB hitters to start worrying about

10 must-see NFL games in 2014

Gallery: The best of Blair O'Neal

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.