March 23, 2013

DEFENSIVE NEEDS

THE Eagles only have 8 picks. That said, I’m aware that they can’t use a pick on every one of these positions.  This is just an overview of where those picks would best serve them. The needs are in bold.

DE: Regardless of whether they’re running a 3-4 or 4-3 this year, the idea is that they’re transitioning to a 3-4, which means they have to build for it. Aside from possibly Cox we don’t have any 3-4 ends at all. We have a ton of 4-3 ends, all of whom I think would be liabilities in coverage, but… The bottom line here though is we need a guy. But unless you want a guy who’s a playmaker at the position, grabbing a June FA should be sufficient.

DT: Talented AND flexible even with the loss of Cullen Jenkins. That says something.

OLB: There is no 4-3 depth here as the only legit 4-3 starters are Kendricks and Barwin and there is maybe only one 3-4 starter in Barwin. OLB’s should not get you beat early in coverage and if we can’t find someone to do both or find a way to mask the weakness, that weak link can undermine the integrity of the entire unit. We need a guy.

MLB/ILB: Ryans and Kendricks could function well here, and with Matthews being coached by the guy who got him drafted, maybe we’ll even have some depth.

S: Lot of bodies, but show me a guy who can play AND stay healthy. We need a guy, but I think we’ve already seen the franchise’s answer to this problem.

CB: We have a couple of starters, but we could use a steep upgrade.

P: Often quoted but little appreciated, the Punter is your first line of Defense. More than distance what we need is hang-time and placement. Returners who have to signal fair-catch can’t make your coverage team look bad. 

19 Comments:
  • Milliner would be the the only guy i'd say we "need" to draft if he's available. the off season moves we've made have (whether you like it or not) filled the holes in the defensive roster.
  • I imagine that the coaching staff agrees with you, so I don't expect a lot of movement early in the Draft on Defense.

I said expect.

None of us know what kind of poker player the new guy is just yet. So far (using 5 Card Draw as a guide) he's bet small and only asked for 2. That says a few things if you know how to read it.

But we'll know a lot more in about a month.
  • Kelly has basically set himself up to be able to draft the best available and not have to draft for a need
  • Barwin isn't too good of a fit in the 4-3 idk why u keep saying he's good in coverage he's average at best. Still say take Eric Reid if possible but won't happen so I would take Jefferson in a later round possible tj McDonald if he's available in round 3. To me our corners still suck. Williams was a gold mine for the opposing qb. Only positive is he plays the run good same as Fletcher. Acquiring a third round for foles would be great so we could address the secondary with both picks n possible take the corner out of Stanford. Still say we should of went hard after lechler but last I heard he's most likely heading to the texans.
  • Sadly Lechler did go to the Texans, and I agree that Eric Reid should be a pick (though I doubt he will).

As for Connor Barwin in coverage, please show me where I've ever said he was any good in coverage. In fact, Houston used him as a WIL passrusher in his best year. Can't say I can recall the man in coverage ever. I'm sure he HAS covered, I just can't recall having seen it ever.
  • We got the punter.
  • We got a 32 year old who's twice been a Pro Bowl alternate. I hope they aren't done at the position.
  • Punters can last into their late 30s. I know they won't draft a guy. What you see is what you get. 47 yards per punt isn't that bad. I put him in that stats lab system on the NFL.COM site and he stood up well to those guys. That includes Lechler. 32 for a runningback and I would be upset with you, but I'm not concerned with a 32 year old punter.
  • You are likely correct to say that they won't draft a Punter, but if for some reason they decide to, Brad Wing is worth a look in my book. His history of Australian Football (VERY different game) says a lot about his hustle and athleticism.

While I doubt many AF players could handle the NFL, I also doubt many NFL players could hack AF.
  • Didn't Sav Rocca come from there? He was supposed to be the man, but he was far too erratic. I doubt they make any moves for a punter unless Jones stinks it up, and I don't think he will.
  • Rocca was 33 when he came over and not NEARLY as touted as this guy. Besides at 39 he just re-signed for 2 years by the team who won our division.
  • That doesn't mean he should comeback to Philly or the Eagles should revisit the Aussie Punter thing. Didn't the Raiders just lose Lechler? Maybe you should champion for them to sign him.
  • We already had Marquette King waiting in the wings in Oakland. He played well last preseason and he'll be a nice guy to have on the roster for years to come.
  • Well that's nice for them, but it truly seems odd for a team who has been drafting in the top 10 for most of the past 10 years to concern themselves so much with punting.
  • Punting is your FIRST line of Defense (tactically speaking). Lechler has been doing a good job for years, but now with him gone, a fall off THERE would only mask/degrade any improvement to the Defense itself. We need to up grade the Secondary, re-seat the LB's, and get younger up front. Stabilizing Special Teams just keeps one platform steady so that building in other areas can get the full focus.
  • All punting indicates is bad offense. If you are overvaluing a punter than most
    Likely the offense is getting far too many three and outs. Ultimately if the team is punting a lot, then they aren't winning.
  • If you remove the Punter from the roster, it does not serve as an indicator of a good offense. Punting is a primordial and intrinsic part of football's strategic identity. It even pre-dates the forward pass (1906).

The value in a Punter is not in his attempts, but in his quality of play. That is usually determined by work ethic AND God-given TALENT. There is nothing wrong with wanting a talented Punter. You want a Punter who puts it in places that minimize chances at any kind of return. What good is a 70 yard punt that gets there way ahead of the coverage and lets the blocking develop?

You don't want your Punter punting a lot, you want your Punter setting the table for the defense.
  • With that being the case it's a complete waste of time to groom a punter. Groom a future quarterback. Groom a shutdown corner. To groom a punter is just silly.
  • Hey look! We got Brad Wing.

Evaluating the future stars of the WWE

If sports fans made honest signs...

MLB hitters to start worrying about

10 must-see NFL games in 2014

Gallery: The best of Blair O'Neal

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.