February 12, 2013

Don't Be So Quick To Slob Mike's Vick.

Just because Mike Vick was resigned by the Eagles doesn't mean that he is guaranteed to be the starter week one or that he will keep the job if he does win it by chance. All the Eagles have done is brought legit competition for the quarterback position. There is no commitment to Mike Vick beyond this season now. Can anyone realistically imagine Mike Vick keeping; excuse me WINNING the starting job if he has a camp, preseason, and opening day like he did last season???? I don't think so, and unless you have a Mike Vick mural in your bedroom you don't think so either. This isn't a lock for Vick by a long shot. How can anyone who can't who can't stay healthy for 6 preseason snaps be a lock for anything? Last season it was unrealistic to bench Vick for a rookie until the season spiraled completely out of control oh and Vick once again did the only consistent thing he's done his entire career and that's get injured. The Eagles mainly Andy Reid couldn't justify benching Vick in favor of a rookie while he's still trying to save his job and since Vick was making Tom Brady money. That is no longer the situation here. If Mike Vick is the starting quarterback for the Eagles it will be for the simple fact he earned it. Not because he fits some system (that in reality he really doesn't), or because he makes too much money, and the head coaches job is on the line. Chip Kelly is going to have time to get his guys in here with or without Vick. Vick isn't Kelly's savior here. At most he's Kelly's stopgap. Get off this all praise Mike Vick train. It's on a track to nowhere.

37 Comments:
  • It seems like Vick will be guaranteed 7 million if he is on the roster so I would think he has been positioned as the front runner but beyond that you are probably right. The rest of his contract is bonuses he may never reach...2.5 total if he gets 90 percent of the snaps and if the Eagles reach the Super Bowl...not going to happen. That 7 million is 10 million dollars less than he was scheduled to make (damn...I forgot to mention to flip when he was pushing that chest out and telling me how right he is that he guaranteed the Eagles would bring him back at his original salary...I guess I just did). That on track to nowhere comment is exactly right. I would rather see Kelly give those snaps to someone who will be on the Eagles roster after 2013. If it's Dennis Dixon give him snaps, if it's a draft pick let him have those plays...who knows, that could still happen.
  • Well I do believe that Vick will have a lot of motivation to prove his doubters wrong. We will see how far that takes him and ultimately the Eagles. I know that I am not sold on Vick, but I hope he proves me wrong.
  • Vick is an insurance policy in case foles is terrible in camp or chip can't find someone in the draft. don't rule out the eagles drafting a QB and trading vick. that's what i'd like to see happen anyway
  • I don't rule out other options at quarterback here. Whomever the other option is Mike Vick is going to have to work hard to be the man.
  • i'd rather just see the team move on... bring in some young guys see what they got and go from there. maybe the eagles go 12-4 and win the super bowl with vick and i eat my words but i'd rather do that then be 2-6 mid way through the season with vick sidelined with another concussion and be the guy to say told ya so.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • You just like to create an argument. Say these words and relieve yourself of the drama: Mike Vick is the starter
  • When I say it that means he earned it. That goes for anyone else who may get the job too flip.
  • Ok how about this... FA hasn't even started, the draft hasn't happened, training camp has yet conclude, and the depth chart hasn't been updated. We don't know who the starter is all we can go on is that they tell us and that's that they'll be competition for the job.
  • I have no problem with that. All I am saying is whoever gets the job earned it and I am happy about that.
  • but what can be inferred by this little exercise is that Foles didnt earn it. If the chiefs pass on Geno I wouldnt be suprised to see him in Eagle green.
  • What we can can conclude is that both Vick and Foles are going to have to fight for it. Neither of them earned a thing.
  • In any case with restructuring the deal the Eagles have opens up their options. Now they may be able to sign a free agent or two that can help them win now.
  • Asomugha isn't worth the 15 million he is due. He will probably either be cut and the Eagles will take the 4 million cap hit or they also restructure a short deal for him. I wouldn't doubt that he would welcome a change of scenery.
  • I think it's pretty clear hunter ID fake. If Vick is the starter my expectations go up considering he's the veteran. I am not the one who is calling the shots here. Chip Kelly called for an open competition. Mike Vick earning it means he worked for it. As such I expect more out of him and the team. Is that too difficult of a concept for your small mind to comprehend? I mean clearly the concept of starting sentences with a capital letter can be accomplished by using the shift button (yet you have failed to comprehend that) so maybe it is.
  • Now you seem like an emotional wreck. You are starting to let that b!tch out I see. Will you be creating a female ID next fruit loops?
  • They didn't remove any of them actually. When someone becomes too obnoxious I just block them. I've stopped worrying about who's real, or who's fake. Out of everyone on here I'm the only one who actually has a known identity anyway. For all I know everyone BUT me could be a "fake I.D.", so I just don't worry about it anymore.

I'm holding out hope that you and Eugenious are actually former members coming back to add more voices to this place again. I hope more former members come back.

We sure do need it!
  • Eugenie thinks he's a Super Bowl winning QB. I wonder if he would bet his fake ID on it.
  • I told Eugenie he should bet the house on the Bowl. How can we miss with a practice squad player? LOL
  • I remember when you were quick to slob Kolb's knob. hahaha
  • Really when was that? Actually I was just ready to see the end of the McPologist era even if it meant Kolb or Vick. Like then and now if Kolb stunk or Vick I would be ready to see them gone too. Get over McNabb son. Everything you do is obsessed about the guy. Even this Dennis Dixion can be great in the right system crap. Obviously you believe that if Dixion can be successful here because of the system you will come back with the McNabb could have still been good here crap. Let him go dude and get off his retired noodle.
  • The end of that era has worked out really well, huh?
  • For whom McNabb or the Eagles? In either case it's been spotty at best. The Eagles don't miss McNabb. They missed on his replacement.
  • Brink, only an idiot like EZ would think that McNabb, Reid or fans of either man had anything to apologize for.

When you're the all-time best of a franchise, you've ALREADY had a successful career. Both men achieved the status as greateast Eagle all-time at those positions. That means EVERYONE else EZ ever rooted for in a Eagles uniform (at those positions), was worse than the two men he's dogging.

Great Eagles QB's (in EZ's opinion):
    McNabb? No.
    Vick? No.
    Kolb and Nick Foles? Yes and yes!
    Perhaps it's a race thing?

Great Eagles Head Coaches (in EZ's opinion):
    Andy Reid? No.
    Buddy Ryan? No.
    In fact, I can't think of an Eagles coach he DOESN'T dog. I guess we never had a great one as far as he's concerned.
  • I know it's a hard concept for you to understand, but players skills deteriorate. That's why McNabb is not in the league and why the Eagles moved on from him. I was calling McCoy one of the best backs in the league while you boneheads were crying for "a bigger back." I want Jackson to get the ball more, but you would rather miss Coop Troop. Chip Kelly hasn't coached one game yet, but you can't stop ripping the guy. If there ever was an award for a pot calling out the kettle you would win first prize.
  • The eagles are loading up--to trade mike vick and foles,vick makes to many mistakes and fumbles. They need a ball control qb--makes quick decesions---dixon can do that,watch trade to bills,or chiefs---watch out people---roseman is up to something!!!chip kelly is a planning on winning this season barnone.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Potentially crippling NFL injuries

Manziel fined $12K for middle finger

10 worst owners in all of sports

Rusney Castillo signs with Boston

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

10 bold predictions for the 2014 college football season

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.