March 09, 2013

Don't take guys who just want money

So it's been reported or rumored that the Eagles are interested in Sean Smith. Smith has been rumored or reported as wanting to get a huge payday. The Eagles need to stay away from guys with this mentality. Now this is no knock on Smith he is a very talented young player however, after the Nnamdi disaster shelling out big bucks for a guy that hasn't don't anything for you shouldn't be a priority. What this team needs in young, hungry, talented players who want to win. Now I'm not saying that a guy like Smith doesn't mean those qualifications, but if he does I would think it would be easy to sell him on the idea of a decent guaranteed contract with incentives built in.

Right now (assuming Nnamdi gets cut or restructures) Jason Peters is the highest paid player on the team. If the eagles were to sign Smith and he were to get lets say 7-7.5 million a year he'd be one of the top 5 paid players on the team, without doing a thing for us. In a league that so often falls back on the "what have you done for me lately" motto, the eagles need to use this motto when entering free agency and realize that NONE of the guys they sign have done anything for them EVER. so shelling out huge contracts for plays the made on other teams doesn't help us at all. There is a reason the teams that they made those plays for let them go. Whether it's aging, decline in performance, wanting too much money, etc... those teams not to let that player walk for a reason, but did so believing they could move on without that player,  and the Eagles need to keep that in mind when opening their checkbook Tuesday. 

13 Comments:
  • you have been brainwashed by the front office into believing that the desire to make money and get paid fairly makes you a bad prospect. I guess we shoulnt have kept Dawkins and Trotter right?
  • Trotter was on the decline and Dawkins was grossly overpaid Denver basically offered him a contract he couldn't refuse. I haven't been brainwashed by anyone too often players get huge deals and don't play to the level they are being paid. there's a reason players blow and over achieve in contact years because they want to boost their free agency stock. Look at Haynesworth.
  • Or you could say
    DTGWJWM get it?? didnt think you did OR
    DTYD
  • William Moore off the books. I am not a big fan of the birds having to over pay for anyone, but if the kid is worth the market value then sign him. Most free agents get paid a little higher than normal, because of bidding wars. If we go on the cheap we could get stuck with Nnamdi and Boykin as our corners.
  • I wasn't saying dont give guys big contacts but we need guys who are hungry to win and dont just want a huge payday
  • I get that, but some of the guys who want the big payday are hungry.
  • exactly
  • another good point Easy....
  • Another thing to remember is the Eagles were 4-12. That means it may cost them a little more to get quality free agents to sign with them.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • and a coach with NO experience in the national football league
  • Yeah, I too am leery of Smith.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.