April 13, 2013

DON'T YOU DO IT!!!

HOPEFULLY neither of my teams will gamble on the HoneyBadger Tyrann Mathieu. 

Ten failed drug tests? 

TEN!?!?! Wait. What he actually said was he STOPPED COUNTING how many he failed after ten.

One failed drug test or even two (especially if all we're talking about is some cheeba) is one thing. At that point even I'm of the "give the guy another chance" mindset. But ten + is a guy saying he WON'T get right. To get a bigger warning sign than that you'd need Jesus himself to grab you in the collar and scream it into your mouth.

When this guy blows up on some team's launch pad, they won't be able to say they weren't warned. 

Here's the problem with giving him yet another chance, the chance you give HIM, you have to take from SOMEONE ELSE. We can talk about talent vs. merit all day but the point is his potential upside is far outweighed by his manifested downside.

19 Comments:
  • I don't know about your other teams, but he doesn't fit the Eagles new mode of bigger and stronger. I can't see him having any shot of being an Eagle.
  • I'd take a shot at him as an undrafted or even a 7th. That's what late round picks are for low risk high reward. His talent is off the charts and his play making ability is without question. Take a risk on him late then put in place a STRICT STRICT STRICT drug/behavior/ect... policy on him. He acts up he gets the ax.

My guess is he kept failing because he was allowed to to begin with. You don't get mad for a dog jumping on the couch when you encouraged it as a puppy. I know the issues are there but he's been away from football for a year (supposedly) getting on the right track, and fixing his mistakes. He could be a beast in the NFL.

I said the same thing about Burfict last year as his stock was plummeting. Take the risk with a low pick at least if he screws up you can cut him just like most of the other late round picks. That is IF he's there. I tend to think he'll go in the 3rd or 4th. Which is too rich for my blood.
  • I'm less worried about the Eagles grabbing him and more worried about the Raiders doing it. Things have been different the last 2 years, but we DO have track record that almost borders on tradition.

HOPEFULLY HE'LL END UP AS A COWBOY! He and Dez Bryant can help each other stay strong.
  • I wouldn't mind him with the Eagles actually. Just as long as they make his contract very strict so that he knows if there's one slip up he's out.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • That dude,has issues,i will put clauss in his contract,one fail test contract void period---the talent is there,comes to money and surrondings.
  • I don't see it. It makes more sense to spend the pick on guy who works hard, keeps his nose clean, and has already demonstrated personal responsibility. The stresses are only going to increase as a pro. Why babysit/mother hen what is supposed to be a grown man?
  • Cause his talent is incredible... that'd be the only reason.
  • ESPECIALLY for a guy who may not even work at this level. All it does is signal to your locker room that you don't need character to play here.

I don't know about you all, but I've been loving that Eagles players are never in the news for beating girlfriends, carrying weapons, getting arrested, getting themselves killed...The last big thing I recall with us was Corelle Buckhalter being caught with some friends in a car filled with smoke.

As a Raider fan I can tell you the Rolando McClain, JaMarcus "Pupple Drank" Russell, and Darrell Russell experiences. Last and ceratinly not least don't forget TODD MARINOVICH!!!! That guy is THE REASON I have no tolerance for drafting junkies.

Avoid the headache if you get a warning. Drafting well is hard enough. Why increase your chance of failure?
  • I'd only get in touch with Mathieu's agent if he doesn't get drafted and make him understand if he becomes a distraction he is gone. He had 10 chances as a college player, he would only get one chance on my team.
  • I wanted him before n I still do. I just hope this kills his draft stock. Would like to see him go in 6th or 7thround
  • If he's in the 6th or 7th when the Eagles are picking i'd say take a shot. make his contact have clauses like he has to work with the team physiologist, blah blah blah... and if he sets outside it they cut him.
  • 12 days ago I said I hope that Mathieu ends up as a Cowboy so he and Dez Bryant can be buds. Now Bryant is saying that Mathieu is THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000163311/article/dez-bryant-tyrann-mathieu-is-best-player-in-nfl-draft

Man, you just can't make this s*** up!
  • It looks as if Fisher is going to be number one overall.
  • Reports have the Raiders taking Haden at number three.
  • that pick is too funny. leave it up to the raiders to make the first bad pick of the draft. everyone and their mamma knows rhodes was the second (to some first) best CB in the draft.
  • The worst pick has to be what the Cowboys did. Gotta love Jerry Jones if you aren't a Cowboys fan. Lol

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.