March 26, 2013

DRAFTING GENO SMITH COULDN'T HURT.

WHILE GM Reggie McKenzie wasn't at Geno Smith's pro day, the Raiders sent some people to take a look-see at the guy. This was wise considering that they may let Carson Palmer walk this year instead of paying him something like 12-15 million this year. (Pssst! If he was starting this year they'd pay him.)

My guess is that Terrelle Pryor is about to get his shot, and so we need a back-up/insurance policy/ fallback position, in case he isn't up to the task.

Enter Geno Smith.

While I don't like Smith for the Eagles (in yet another QB as lightening rod) type system, I think he'd fit okay into the Raiders (QB as QB, in a power running) type system. 

Remember the 2012 AFC Championship game where WR Lee Evans dropped the ball in the endzone and the Ravens lost? Joe Flacco didn't get the blame for that.

Steve Johnson's dropped pass? God got the blame, not his QB.

When our Offense doesn't work we NEVER cannibalize any player besides the QB here. Drops, missed blocks, fans take them in stride here. An incompletion into the dirt and it's all you'd hear about. 

Even Tom Brady is given high profile parts (Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Corey Dillon, BenJarvis Green-Ellis) charged with taking some of the weight off the QB. but since 1999 our system has revolved around the QB in a way that borders on psychotic. They're charged with carrying the Offense in a way that seems designed to break them. (Think it's a coincidence that 2004 (the year with help) was Donovan McNabb's best year as pro?)

In Oakland, Smith would be charged with making calls and throwing the ball. He'd be one of eleven players with a job to do. At times he'd be allowed to let the system work FOR him as opposed to him trying to keep the system working. (There's less puking that way.) I think he has chance to be good if he goes to Oakland. 

8 Comments:
  • So to be clear you don't have a problem with the Raiders drafting Smith third overall to a team who actually has a quarterback, but you do have a problem with the Eagles drafting him 4th overal when they don't have a quarterback????? Carson Palmer completed well over 60% of his passes, threw for over 4,000 yards,22 touchdowns with 14 interceptions. Mike Vick completed 58% of his passes, a little over 2,000 yards passing 12 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions. It seems clear the Eagles don't have a quarterback, and to not draft one because it adds another to the mix makes no sense. So what would be the logical reason not to draft Smith for the Eagles? Not adding another quarterback to the mix makes no sense considering the Eagles don't have a legit one. Oh and it certainly isn't about age. Vick is one year younger than Palmer and gets hurt far more frequently. If you compare their stats (Vick/Palmer) one is on the incline while the other is on the decline. By the way if Smith does go to Oakland his career will certainly become canniblised at this put because that hole of a place has not only done that to quarterbacks; it's done it to their first round picks as a whole! That's not me picking on your team. That's the truth and you know it. I hope for Geno Smith's sake he doesn't end up in Oakland where careers go to die.
  • I'm confused about this one myself but I'll just read flip's answer to you. One of eleven players when discussing the Raiders? Don't the Eagles have some very nice weapons themselves? Maybe he doesn't think Smith works well in the read option. Regardless, thinking Smith at #3 would be good as an insurance policy yet a wasted pick for the Eagles who have no franchise QB a pick later is a head scratcher for sure.
  • Like I told him earlier I think the Eagles can fleece those morons to get Pryor for next to nothing. I just looked a what the Raiders chose to do with their past 10 first round picks and it was quite embarrassing how truly pitiful and stupid they are. I know they can be had, because so many teams have fleeced them and that's just in their recent history. Look up sucker in the dictionary and you will see the Raiders symbol.
  • why are we still talking about the raiders in the eagles forum?
  • So the Raiders want to cut Carson Palmer and sign Vice Young? LOL
  • Vince Young won't cost 13 mil to ride pine. If Carson was still going to start then I think we keep him, but if we're looking to dump him BEFORE the Draft, without any sort of a competition, then the writing for Pryor to start is written on the wall and penciled in on the Depth Chart.

Besides, if Young signs THIS YEAR, we don't need to draft Smith. That means Pryor can play without looking over his shoulder in 2013, and if he sucks too bad, we can always draft a guy NEXT YEAR. (Because if we're that bad, we'll still have a high pick.)

We just revamped our coaching staff, and cut a bunch of guys, any way you cut it, we're in a rebuilding phase. Who cares if it takes a 2-3 years to win the division, as long as we get steady progress in the mean time?
  • So you think a guy who threw for over 4000 yards for the Raiders and their receiving corps by committee should sit the bench, but you think Mike Vick shouldn't have to be in a quarterback competition????. LOL That's as bad as Hollywood gushing over Sean Considine. LOL I feel bad for Geno Smith if he gets drafted to that team. For a team to waste the third pick in the draft for insurance would be simply stupid. Especially since that team has been drafting (wasting draft picks rather) in the top ten for most of the past ten seasons. Vice Young, Pryor, and Smith. And you think the Eagles quarterback situation is a mess. LOL
  • I don't feel that Carson SHOULD sit, but the Raiders seem to want to move onto the New Era of Raider Football by making Pryor the starter. Since you can only play 1 QB at a time, my guess is that Palmer would have to sit.

Since they also want to get the outlandish contracts under control, paying Palmer 13 mil to ride pine goes against what they've told their fans, and the Raiders organization doesn't bluff their fans. AL DAVIS said what was on his mind, and you just took it how you needed to take it. He's gone now, but Mark and Amy still know what's up and Reggie doesn't pull punches either.

Personally I'd like to see Palmer and Pryor split reps in practice 40%-40%, and play for it in the preseason. It helps if guys in the huddle TRUST the guy under Center. Before you can be the best QB in a game, you should first be the undisputed best QB on your roster.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Starks confirms hip-hop urban legend

Castillo 'likely' to debut Wednesday

Nike pulls Peterson merchandise

Stanton posts pic of horrific injury

WATCH: Kemp, Puig argue in dugout

Minnesota governor: Suspend Peterson

Tim Duncan to appear in ‘Punisher’ comic

10 takeaways from NFL Week 2

Broncos fans really dislike Phil Simms

Chris Davis helps flip truck on highway

How long will Dennis Allen last?

Papelbon gets seven-game suspension

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.