August 18, 2013

EAGLES 2013 ACCURACY BETWEEN 71.4 and 100%

ALRIGHT. Now that we know who our Starting QB is, it's time to start with the predictions.

So far I feel like I've been en fuego in 2013 where predictions are concerned. 

Despite Kelly trying to keep his system mum initially, I said it would be a Spread Option VERY similar to what he ran at Oregon. I said that I know it, NFL coaches know it, anyone who cares to look at his history knows it. Upshot: Kelly is running the Spread Option.

When Kelly and his staff were mum even to the players about what systems they'd be running, and then when they DID meet with players, began to disseminate the plans piecemeal, I said that that it was going to set hem back in camp and that they would end up behind our division rivals when the season began. Upshot: Kelly had to have his defense installed THREE TIMES IN THREE WEEKS in camp, and we still sucked vs. a good team in our first preseason game.

I said Michael Vick would be the Starter. Upshot: Michael Vick will be your Starter.

Offensive starters? NAILED IT!  http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/every_player_is_competing/14061233

Defensive starters? CHECK ME OUT, YO!  http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/how_much_real_competition_is_on_the_defense/14092745 

So far I'm 5 for 5, but keep in mind I also said that come November Todd Herremann's effectiveness as a run blocker will take a dive, and I also said that 6-10/7-9 with Vick as the Starter is the ceiling. http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/wheres_your_enthusiasm/13806434 ; so there is room for me to miss the last 2, and go 5 for 7 (.714), not a perfect 7 for 7 (1.000). 

Stay tuned. 

29 Comments:
  • It seems we were the only ones calling Vick the starter. But I will agree with the opposition that it did help elevate both Qbs games. Something good might have come out of it. But once you have a starter you have to give him full support. Hes the guy. You think Peters will make it back to the field?
  • I can't imagine that Peters would miss game 3. In fact it would be downright irresponsible for Kelly to start him Week One WITHOUT benefit of having seen him at game speed.

I don't think any good has come of this QB contest. Former NFL players have been saying "start Vick" the whole time. All this did was drag out the inevitable conclusion which so far doesn't make Kelly look as if he understands the window of turnaround time he'll routinely have.

From a national standpoint if Kelly surprises everyone and starts Foles despite Vick's clearly demonstrated superiority, if Kelly doesn't win right off the bat, he will have doused himself in gasoline with the media.

That will leave him two places to go: Switch to Vick (cave in); or stick with Foles (at which point everyone will invent the reason they think he did, and you can bet race will come up YET AGAIN). Just what we need: More Controversy.

At least now if he starts Vick and they go as much as 0-4 it's legit for Kelly to stick by him because of the whole contest thing. But for Kelly to do the same with the loser of that contest...
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I fully expect Vick to revert back to his typical ways. If you look at it typical Vick is not the one we've been looking at for the last 3 years. What he was asked to do in Reid's scheme is not what got him drafted #1, and not what got Atlanta into the playoffs.

When Vick was on his tear in 2010, if you recall his mobility was not only being utilized, it was being emphasized. Like what Washington and San Fran are doing. (What IS IT with Philly signing running QB's then wanting them to sit in the pocket?)

Difference between Atlanta Vick and today Vick, is Reid has taught him how to go through his progressions and read a defense; and Kelly has taught him to hold a ball.

• This is true for all of us. That doesn't mean there aren't still some bright days still ahead. You aren't as young as you used to be either, but you aren't about to die just because of it.

And you're right. When he was in Atlanta I used to say he read defenses at a 3rd grade level. He also didn't do work in the offseason before he became an Eagle.
    In all fairness (even at age 33) as far as his skills, an O-line and a scheme, this is actually the most ideal situation he's ever been in as a QB.

As far as the end of his career (like I said years ago about T.O.) I'll believe it when he's not playing anymore.
  • Where does it say he was named the starter?
  • If your wife says she's being faithful but she goes out and bangs another guy, despite what she says she's unfaithful.

Kelly hasn't verbally said that Vick is the guy, but like I said prior to OTA's, then during OTA's, and even in camp: REPS MATTER. If Foles was still in it he'd be seeing "split time" with the Ones, not just leftover time.

Game 3 is the dress rehearsal since you rest starters mostly in game 4. I'm less concerned with what Kelly says and more concerned with what I see. He may be a hotshot collegiate coaching genius, but in the end he's still a football coach, and the constraints of time and demands of results are the same for him as any other coach at any other level.

The lights are about to go up on this production, so Kelly has to get all his actors in place.
  • They have been splitting time until yesterday and who knows foles could get more reps today. I agree that it should be Vick but we won't know until Kelly comes out and says it. Plus we still have a week until the game. We can assume Vick gets the start but the bigger question is if only he plays with the starters.
  • While I won't attempt to tell you what to think or believe, I already know I'm right about it, so for me it's a dead issue.

Others may continue to remain in suspense of the obvious if they like.
  • Kelly has made it official now.

Barring injury Vick is the guy.
  • To me it sounds like Brandon Boykin will become our starting outside cornerback next to Cary Williams instead of Bradley Fletcher
  • Don't look now but for the second straight day Vick got the majority of the reps with the Ones.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/08/michael_vick_nick_foles_matt_barkley_1.html

It's all over but the shout.
  • you made some nice predictions and calculations.. However, you failed to calculate Vick's most likely completion percentage this season.

I'll go w/ 58%

Well under what it needs to be for him to continue starting the full season. Vick get's injured and never comes off the bench by week 6.. (write that down)
  • Thats real fanlike. Why cant you accept that Vick is the better QB. Even Chip thinks so what other evidence do you need a visit by god.
  • I'll say 59% because it's consistently been around 60 both when he was on fire and when he was under constant duress.
  • Seriously? Based on that question I'm not sure you fully understand what a completion percentage is; and if you do, you have no business asking such an abysmally stupid question.
  • I got it, but the POINT of sarcasm is to use language artfully or to make an informative point. That comment was up to neither standard, nor your usual standard.
  • Hard to say without knowing exactly how many attempts he'll have, but my guess is the number of picks will be somewhere around 13. It's about what he averages in seasons with 10+ games.

Thing is, since he came to Philly he averages fewer turnovers both in number AND per game (which you have to adjust for with Vick's health recod) than players like Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, and Eli Manning. He doesn't score as much, but then THEY don't get hit as much.
  • I expect he'll be what he's been since he's been here. About 12-13 games, 59% accurate, 19 TD's, 14 turnovers, 400 yards on the ground.

I also expect LeSean McCoy to continue to be more effective when Vick plays. (Look it up, it's a fact. All but one of Shady's better games are with Vick under Center.)

The man has been in the NFL for over a decade. Regardless what you think of him personally, that doesn't happen by accident.
  • I can't even lie, i didn't read a single comment. I was just tripping on seeing all the same faces on this board from the last time i logged in. It's been awhile but i'm still bleeding green. And it's awesome to see that nothing has changed haha. My two pennies, Vick starts (obviously) and stays healthy throughout the season! Hahahahahahaha No seriously, Shady has a helluva year. Riley gets his lid knocked off by game 3 and Djax goes back to the pro bowl. Other than that don't expect playoffs yet and Barkley starts next year. Bye guys nice talking to ya!
  • Eagles defense no true safty besides chung,nate allen scare to hit a true duck!!,no veteran outside lb to run defene beside connor barwin,the offense will score---defense will not hold up---no thumber at safty to come down---ala pittsburgh steelers troy palomula season 6-10 or worse. The need at wide reciver big physical none,only at tight end position.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Gordon a contender for AL MVP?

Second-year NFL breakout players

Boris Becker's gross case of tennis elbow

ESPN 'regrets' Sam showering report

'Madden 15' has hilarious glitches

Gordon's suspension upheld by NFL

Ned Yost rips Royals fans for poor attendance at games

WATCH: Fan's terrible first pitch

Patriots players 'pissed' about Mankins trade

WVU QB's first kiss: Saban's daughter

Report: NHL to Las Vegas is 'done deal'

Wolves owner takes shots at Kevin Love

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.