March 28, 2013

Eagles and Colts complete rare player-for-player trade

[The Philadelphia Eagles and Indianapolis Colts exchanged role players today in what is a rarity-a player for player trade instead of draft picks. Ian Rapoport of nfl.com reports that the Eagles acquired defensive end Clifton Geathers from the Colts for fullback Stanley Havili. Geathers has thus far been an underachiever in the NFL He is a huge man at 6-foot-7 and 320 pounds, and he has the height and size you want from defensive ends in a 3-4 defense. The 2010 sixth-round pick has appeared in just 15 career games, notching just five tackles and one sack. Geathers has bounced around the league, spending time with the Browns, Seahawks, Cowboys, and Colts. Havili was expendable for the Eagles becausr Chip Kelly's offense does not make us of the fullback, instead pulling the tight ends in the backfield. The Colts are implementing a West Coast offense under rookie coordinator Pep Hamilton, and Havili has a versatile fullback's skill set At. 25 years old, Havili is a strong lead blocker with soft hands. His receiving stats aren't great but he should receive more of an opportunity in Indianapolis.] At first glance he seems like fodder for camp, but I think the trade also signifies the Eagles intentions of switching to a 3-4 defense or at least using a 3-4 defense regularly next season.They seem to be acquiring the pieces to make such a transition. In doing so the Players like Trent Cole, Vinny Curry, Brandon Graham, and Philip Hunt will all now likely need to be able to play both end and linebacker. Players like Kendricks, and Chaney will likely move inside or play some hybrid outside backer at times. Both have experience inside. If the players can't be versatile, then they most likely wont be on the roster come September.

10 Comments:
  • solid move Havili wouldn't have really been used. With the Eagles retooling the D this just adds another guy with something to prove to the roster.
  • Personally I think the Colts got the better player.
  • Looking at ANYTHING written about the guy it seems he won't be here come September.

If they want a big body at 3-4 DE there are guys like Jarius Wynn and Sedrick Ellis still floating around (since they missed out on Vaughn Martin).

I have no idea why they traded for a chronically underachieving 6th round pick. (I mean to be considered an underachiever as a 6th rounder???? Ugh.)
  • give the guy a shot there has to be something that kelly sees in him. maybe it's a situational player, maybe only special teams, but havili clearly wasn't in his plans. the fact that he was a 6th rounder and people say he's an underachiever says the guy should have a huge chip on his shoulder. If that's the case maybe he'll become a factor for the eagles.
  • Havili not being in the plans makes the move a cheap one, but signing a guy who has already been good enough to start, would have made the most sense.

I don't get all the Ricky Jean-Francois/Victor Butler/Clifton Geathers types getting looks at the roster. RJF has had a role, but seems like he's maxed out what he can be in the NFL. The other 2 are barely holding onto being in the league. It would be one thing if it was a numbers game and they had proven themselves to have upside or something. That however hasn't been the case.

I'm more than a little concerned that the 2 guys who came in to visit opted out and quickly signed with teams that have systemic defensive problems (Colts and Saints), so it's not like they get to rely on other to make them look good. I hope choose there vs. here because of money.
  • Probably is a nothing move like flip says...it doesn't bode well that he has only been in the league since 2010 and this is his 5th team. We do have to keep in mind that the Eagles can't just dump high salary at every position until Kelly sees what he has with the players already here, what he finds in the draft and who makes it to year 2 from his first free agency class. Honestly , the Eagles can't have high salary at every position...no teams have pro bowlers at every position in the league...it's just never going to happen no matter how much we as fans want it to. Regardless, you just never know...if he finds even just a small role on the team, trading Havili who wouldn't have been on the team anyway will have been worth it.

Flip, from what I've heard Jean-Francois didn't sign with the Eagles because he valued himself much higher that the Eagles did and I wouldn't doubt Butler wanted a better shot at a starter's job after being a situational player with the Cowboys. Nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.
  • That's what I'm hoping. Considering that the Eagles couldn't pull whoever they were waiting for at DC and how the staff is entirely college and half Kelly-cronies, I'm just concerned that NFL vets may look at what we plan to do, see a hot mess coming, and be politely declining before they head for the hills.

But again I hope it's just money or a shot at an increased role/starting job. Then it's not us, it's them.
  • Strange Butler didn't think he had a shot to start in Philly considering that out of all of their linebackers only one have been a stand up pressure guy. At first glance I want to write Geathers off too, but sometimes guys need to find the right situation in order to thrive. Consider the fact people already are considering a practice squad player as the Eagles future second string quarterback (even though he's proven nothing yet) I don't think it would be wise to write this guy off. There is no guarantee guys like Cole regardless of the position he plays can't be beaten out. It's not like he was outstanding last season at any point of the season.
  • They need guys that are hungry,not free agents--talking about money---ala namdi asom-and other players,team first,not ego's wins division and everything esle takes care of self.
  • Still health is an issue with this team. They already have a host of players coming off injury, two quarterbacks who lost time last season due to injury, and many of their recent pickups have had injury concerns as well. I hope Chip Kelly either has an outstanding training staff or knows how to keep guys healthy with some kind of training plan, because he could find his team filled with practice squad players by week six if he doesn't.

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.