August 11, 2013

EAGLES NEED FAMILY THERAPY

ABOUT Friday night…

The pass protection looked better than it did at any point last year. Most of our QB’s seemed comfortable with what they were asked to do so far. Our top WR grouping was on point as well.

After that there’s little positive I can say about what I saw.

For a team that’s supposed to be a run first offense, nothing about Friday demonstrated that we’re going to be any good at it. We ran 35 times for 131 yards or 3.7 ypc (29 for 93 and 3.2 when you factor out the QB runs). Run pass ratio? 48 passes/ 35 runs (29 handoffs).

Let’s talk Defense.

Nothing about the way the Safeties played indicates that they have any more talent than any of us barkers. I’d be willing to get out there and blow coverages for half of what the Eagles are paying the FRAUDS they have back there today. Wait! No I wouldn’t, because I’d have too much pride to want to be shown week-in and week-out, on nationally available television, getting my O-ring blown out by anybody willing to wear cleats. Our Defense is like a battered woman and the Safeties are the abusive boyfriend, who despite his apologies, you just KNOW is gonna do it again next week. We need to kick them to the curb before they kill us.

The Defensive Line was just manhandled out there. They were the biggest part of the reason the Patriots averaged 8 yards per run against us. You saw that right. 8 yards per run. (BTW: If you factor out their QB runs, their ypc actually goes up fractionally.) Hopefully the rest of the way things get better, but it was full-on  Ike vs. Tina out there on Friday.

I feel bad for the Linebackers. They’re like the neglected child caught in the middle of two dysfunctional parents. Let down by the Line and Secondary, the LB’s are the logical product of a bad situation. Eventually when frustration sets in and the late hits and head hunting starts, the LB’s will be sent to Roger Goodell’s office, and folks will wonder how players with so much potential, went so wrong.

On Special Teams all was quiet until the injury to Jon Dorenbos.

In truth outside of my head, all stayed quiet even after that. Brent Celek had one snap go off without a hitch, but after he missed the next one, my old familiar rant about how I miss Mike Bartrum http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/i_miss_mike_bartrum/13533659

and about how we need a back-up LS, came ROARING back.

It’s neat to have a guy like Celek who’s willing to pitch in, in an emergency; but Celek is a starter and he knows that he’ll make the roster. Even in the most bizarre of situations, if he were released, he’d start somewhere else. So he has no motivation to make extra time to practice long-snapping. We need a guy who’s a BACK-UP at another position, who is looking to be ANYTHING he has to be to make the roster. That or we need to add a second LS and teach him another position. Personally I think #1 is the better choice.

8 Comments:
  • The pass protection looked better but the defense was very vanilla. In fact, I would say they strggled slightly with that V defense. So, Im not saying anything yet about the o-line. Buton the surface it looked like there was a defense of the QB. I agree with you about the undertalented d-line. They were knocked aside like dominos. I like fletcher and chung. They came with some attitude. You are right the Lbs are flat out confused not knowing whether the meltdown is coming upfront or in the secondary. It was nice to see Djax isolated one on one but really how hard is it going to be to double him and remove him form the game with no talent elsewhere in that WR corp? I see Vick getting chased after the cobwebs are shaken off and nearly a repeat of last year in one form or another. I will say athe offense made few mental errors but I didnt see anything wildly innovative. I can see chip saving his playbook for the season but wouldnt mind a taste of the uniqueness of his talent.
  • Curiouser and curiouser....

Cary Williams made a point of calling out his teams soft play and saying that the Patriots antics during the scrimmage would have been handled differently by the Ravens.

Interestingly enough, when asked about Williams comments, Chip Kelly gave the proper coachspeak answer about this is the NFL not the WWE. (We know Chip. In football the violence is REAL.) The NFL.com site also had a little to say about it. Funny thing is, nobody came out and said he was wrong about what he said.
  • One thing about Williams he will hit you and he has a temper. The Ravens intimidated the Pats and beat them physically. The Eagles right off the bat are too small. Harbaugh ,like Billick, doesnt mind a few penalties and some attitude. Chip needs to be his own man and not attempt to be part of the past. He ought to add a little Buddy Ryan to his playbook. The Ravens defense is very similar and better in some ways to Eagle defenses of the 90's. They play at the same level almost every single week and have guys that can take over games. Not only that they will flat out make it a fist fight. The eagles dont have that kind of talent.
  • I think we have plenty of talent, but when you have an offensive minded HC you're already behind the 8-ball in terms of toughness factor. And when you look at the systems run by Reid and now Kelly, it's easy to see that tough isn't a priority in their systems.

Moreover, when you observe the Harbaughs (especially Jim), you get the impression that they'd be willing to go out there and play without a helmet. Conversely, Reid was not what one would call a fiery personality; and half the time when I watch to Chip Kelly speak, I have to remind myself that he's not a menopausal woman.

Toughness starts at the top. Weeeeee don't really have that right now.
  • They need a few more Cary Williams. I like Fletcher, Chung and Williams. You cant tell they havent been with this weak organization. They come from organizations with superbowl traditions. Can you imagine the disappointment when they saw the commitment of this squad. They must be asking themselves why they left for this craphole.
  • That's what happens when you chase $$$... If they aren't happy, they have no one to blame but themselves.
  • That is true. You just hope their experience with winning squads will rub off on this group. When your team is relying on the likes of Williams, Fletcher and chung you know you have a leadership void. Williams has mouth in Philly but he was as quiet as a church mouse in Balto. He wouldnt of even dared to act like a leader.
  • The entire team needs to nut up.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Bills sign Kyle Orton

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186 MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.